Lego Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.6

Director Demand Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Lego Group (Hartford, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

one screening with an HR assistant who was reading from a script, not conversing with me, next day she sends me a reject letter, not even bringing me in for an in person interview. She couldn't answer any of the questions i asked her about the company. Not even the size of the US division in relation to their global operations. I AM a director demand planning, i have decades of experience that perfectly match that role. There is no reason, other than maybe they think I'm too old (50) to even pursue further. I answered all the scripted questions and provided even more insight into my experience and high level of achievement in all roles I've held. I do think i was screened out because of my age which is unfortunately hard to prove.

Interview Questions

• typical scripted questions - tell me about a time when you had to resolve a conflict, what is your experience managing a team, what is your management style   Answer Question

Retail Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Lego Group (San Leandro, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

An initial interview over the phone. Lasted almost 45 mins and covered questions regarding my work history from present back to 1989. Most questions concerned management skills and project management. The length of work experience was due to not having worked retail since 1998 and that included management experience which they were interested in me having. Lots of questions and some very important in asking for the work. I do feel the pay is not comparable to the work and the company may need to readdress this given the rise in minimum wage.

Interview Questions

• What was the one time that you over came a tough situation through team work with a coworker?   1 Answer

Brick Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lego Group (Bellevue, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Overall, the interview process was a weird experience. Took place in the middle of the Lego Store while it was open. It was a group interview and it consisted of building things from the 'pick a brick wall' as well as Lego orientated games. The trick to getting hired is to display the most enthusiasm and be the most eager. Overall, I thought that it was an unprofessional interview.

Interview Questions

• Is the Lego Store a toy store or a Lego store?   1 Answer

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enfield, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lego Group (Enfield, CT) in June 2016.

Interview

2 Days of interviews Long Process, Met with Multiple Managers Sat in on calls, Was able to tour the facility which was really cool. 2nd day of interviews was a group interview in-front of a panel I was a group of applicants all answering questions at the same time this was strange.

Brick Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lego Group (Anaheim, CA).

Interview

I applied through a friend and heard about a month later. There was only one round of interviews and it was fairly straightforward. We talked about things on my resume, went over why I was leaving my other job, discussed how long I planned on being with the company, and went over a role play situation to see if I was fit to make a sale. I was offered the position within the week of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: If I was a child looking at this set, how would you sell it to me?   Answer Question

Marketing Assistance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enfield, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Lego Group (Enfield, CT).

Interview

First round on campus interview. Basically just a walk through of resume very easy. Second round was onsite at the Enfield office. 3 interviews, 2 with people in the Marketing Department and 1 with a woman from HR.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a problem when you cannot find the solution on your own?   Answer Question
    • What do you bring that is unique?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lego Group in May 2016.

Interview

This was the most disrespectful recruiter I have dealt with. She scheduled a phone interview with me but then just never called (I had to scheduled a babysitter for my 12 month old). I reached out via email trying to figure out what was happening but received no answers. She finally called the following week and spoke with me for 20mn. I reached out to her 10 days later asking her if she had any updates for me but again she did not even bother getting back to me.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lego Group (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied via a former colleague and it took 2 months for HR to reach out to me. After first phone interview, I was brought in for an in-person meeting with the hiring manager, which went well. After that, I was scheduled to interview with an additional three people, which felt excessive. Required me to take a lot of time off work. Was told by HR that I was one of the final candidates, last step was to take a computer test to evaluate working styles. Very strange test - in recap call, felt like I had to defend myself against a computer, even though their own employees had liked me enough to pass me on to next round five times by this point. HR requested that I send an online link to my references to fill out, which I did. After all this, I never heard back from them. Found it very disrespectful to have clearly reached the final rounds of the hiring process, and then get radio silence.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you had to be creative on the job   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lego Group in April 2016.

Interview

Applied for position, received an email from a no-reply address the next day stating that the recruiter would call me in two days at my number for a phone interview and to reply to her direct email address with confirmation that it worked. I replied within 30 minutes that the time and date worked and was happy to speak with her. She did not respond which I thought was weird but hey, maybe she was super busy. I requested to work from home for that day to my current employer, for obvious reasons.

The day/time of the interview came and I received no call. I waited 10 minutes then sent an email asking if we were still on for that time. No response. Thinking that maybe the emails were being spammed out since she didn't reply to my older message I called her. No answer. I left a VM stating I wasn't sure if she received my emails, I was interested in the position, and asked if we could schedule another time to interview. The next day she called, apologized that she was sick that day, and rescheduled us for the next week.

I had to take an early lunch to do this interview - no big deal. However, it was raining outside so I was certain she could hear the rain pounding my car and I had forgotten my resume at home (great). Obviously that all made me nervous. Interview questions were to walk through my resume, why I was leaving my current company, then asked me about a time I went above and beyond for a coworker or customer. After my answers she stated that she was going to go over what the job entailed and stressed that it was very analytical. Judging by this stress I was certain she didn't like my "above and beyond" answer (which was events related). I informed her that I don't have a problem with an analytical position - it was a big part of what I was currently doing. She asked if I had any questions - I asked them and that seemed to at least go well. I sent a follow up - thank you - email an hour letter. The next day I received a rejection from the "no-reply" email address. The message was dated to be sent to me at the end of the week but, whoops, she sent it the next day. That Friday I checked LinkedIn and the position had just been put back up.

I'll admit my fault for not being prepped with my resume to go over. I cant be expected to apologize for the rain in the background or the nerves though as I am unable to control the weather and I couldn't work from home again. However, the reason I am giving this a negative experience is because I feel the recruiter was unprofessional in how she handled this. She should have replied to my initial message just so I knew she received them, she should have made sure that the meetings she had that day were cancelled or postponed before she went home, she should have asked more than 1 "defining" question (going over your resume and stating why you're leaving is standard and not very reflective of what you can bring to the position/company), and finally she should have made sure that the rejection was delivered in a more timely manner as it made it seem as though she had made a decision without giving it a second thought. Which undoubtedly she did. If you were still accepting applicants why not make sure that the ones you are rejecting truly aren't fit for the job?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a coworker or customer.   1 Answer

Regional Security Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enfield, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Lego Group (Enfield, CT) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online through the company website, was contacted by HR for a telephonic interview. After I got through that, I was selected to move forward to a Skype interview with the Hiring Manager the Chief Security Officer, and an HR business partner. I passed the interview, and was asked to meet with hiring manager in person. He flew over from Denmark for the interview.

On the day of the interview I arrived at the Brick House and checked in with Security. An HR Representative greeted me and brought me to a "Prep" room. There I was asked to use the remaining time left until the actual interview, to build something using Lego Bricks that would represent me and what I would bring the Lego family. I was wearing a 3 piece suit and was told I could take my jacket off, as the room would get very hot with just me in there. Weirdly, I was asked to fill out another employment application, which I found odd because I had completed one online. After all was done the HR lady came back in and asked me about what I built and what it symbolized. After that I was walked over to a conference room.

In the Conference room was the Chief Security Officer (hiring manager), and a close colleague the Security Operations Manager. The interview was very welcoming, they explained their roles, and how this interview would be more like an open discussion. I was asked to explain and draw on a white board, how I would go about implementing a new idea, and what channels and steps the idea would flow up through to get to the deciding powers that be. They then both asked me questions about how I'd handle complications or setbacks, how I would expand into areas unknown to me and the company. The hiring official and the ops manager were both relatively new in their roles as the security mission with the company was just in its infancy. He couldn't remember the company motto "To Inspire and Develop the Builders of Tomorrow" and looked to his colleague for help, so I quickly jumped in to finish! All my answers were well articulated and confident in my opinion. I was really feeling the interview was going excellent.

I had gone above and beyond for this interview including a brief PowerPoint work sample and since I was dealing with them through the holidays, and new year I was feeling confident. The hiring manager made a comment in the Skype interview about my age, and then asked if I was married and had kids. I immediately spoke to HR about it afterward and she assured me she had spoken with them and my answers to the questions would in no way have an outcome to whether I was chosen for the role or not. Strangely, she either quit or was fired and was not present on my on site interview as the schedule said. I knew I had some odds stacked against me going into the final stages of interview but I was confident that I was the likely choice for the role. What became weird is after the spoke about compensation, for about 5 minutes they asked if I'd be interested in taking another role - other than this one in the company... He mentioned he had this conversation with all the candidates. I answered positively, but it's when he went on for an addition 3 minutes that I started to think this was all going south.

I was told in the interview that they'd make their decision the next day as they had seen all the applicants, and would fly back to Denmark to speak with management there before announcing a selectee. One week goes by....two weeks go by.... three weeks and I knew it wasn't me. I reached out to the hiring manager on LinkedIn and he told me he'd get with HR ASAP. A day later a stand in recruiter called me and left a voicemail that I wasn't selected. Later I emailed the hiring manager thanking him for his time and that it was unfortunate I wasn't chosen but good luck with their candidate and in the future. He responded ... You are not forgotten.

Overall the experience was positive, the good outweighed the negatives. I just didn't enjoy being strung along for so long after the onsite interview. The communication was poor between HR and the Hiring Manager. I found myself in the dark at times, they provided no feedback as to why I wasn't hired, something common but uncommon when applying for positions at this level. My guess is it was an internal candidate or just someone they liked more. There are 4 of the positions globally and when I checked the others on LinkedIn - they all seemed very, very, very, similar with the exception of China. I thought I could add some diversity in both ethnicity and work experiences globally, but twas not meant to be.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between a leader and a manager?
      How would you handle working in a company with a more European mindset?
      Why do you want to work for Lego?
      Answer Question