LendUp Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

LendUp Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at LendUp

3.1

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at LendUp (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

First a phone screen, then an onsite with 3 interviewers for one hour each. The interviews each had a different focus, one mostly data modeling, one writing code, one system design. The interviews were fun and interactive, and the interviewers made time available to talk about the company and their roles. The interview process felt well organized and thorough, overall a very positive experience. I also came back later to meet more members of the team in an informal setting.

Interview Questions

• I don't think it make sense to share the specific interview questions, but I can say that they were practical (ie not brain teasers) and involved writing code on the whiteboard.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for LendUp

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LendUp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The CTO (Jake) reached out to me because he thought there might be a match between my expertise and what the company was looking for. I went out for coffee with him and was impressed by his technical knowledge and the the mission of LendUp.

I agreed to a next step which was a screen with one of the engineering leads. It lasted about an hour, during which we a) talked about our respective work experience b) did some pair coding on coderpad.io and c) spent time talking about LendUp's engineering process, tech stack, mission... etc. I felt the phone screen was fair.

I next went on to an onsite interview which consisted of 3 technical interviews and 1 "soft skills" session with a PM. The entire onsite interview lasted about 4 hours, and LendUp was pretty flexible in helping me schedule it at a time that worked for me. The technical questions spanned algorithm/coding, system design and code design.I had the option of using my laptop or a whiteboard (I chose whiteboard). The coding problems they gave me were nice in that there was no 1 right answer that was being looked for (the interviewer made this clear) but rather the approach and how I communicated/worked through the problem was what they were looking for. Problems started off small and then the interviewer added constraints to test different skills.

Overall I was impressed by the caliber of the engineers that I met; I got the sense that Lendup's technical team had a much higher than average seniority level than I was seeing in the other companies I was interviewing with. This is important to me as a Senior engineer, because in my last role I felt I didn't have anyone to learn from, and that I could grow my skills @ LendUp.

After 2 days, LendUp got back to me with an offer. They pay market level salaries which surprised me given they're a Series B company. I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Design Facebook's news feed. Start off by ranking things in terms of time (a la Twitter). How do design the system so that you can quickly retrieve results? What could be some strategies you'd employ to have the feed be interest based? How would you make that fast?

Question focused more on the system design side of things.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LendUp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

-Starts with a call with the recruiter, talk about interests, role, company, etc. Pretty standard
    -Technical phone screen with an engineer from the team. Engineer was clearly disinterested, showed up about 10 minutes late, provided very little feedback, had no interest in talking to you about anything other than the code challenge.

Interview Questions

• XML parsing. Try to be fast with your text processing as they provide no boilerplate code. Not hard, but I guess I didn't expect such a lame question   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LendUp (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me directly via a recruiting service. I never heard of LendUp before, but decided to give it a shot (seemed like an interesting idea + great social mission).

First was a chat with a technical recruiter, who scheduled me for a 1 hour phone interview with a senior engineer. The question was on the tougher side, but doable.

The phone interview went well, so I was asked to go on-site for an interview. The interview started in the afternoon, and consisted of 3 1-hour sessions with the engineers, a 30 minute coffee break in between, a chat with the Head of Engineering at the end, and a quick chat with the technical recruiter before I left. There was one interview that focused more on coding, one on data structures/algorithms, and one that was more architectural in nature. All the interviewers were very polite and they all seemed very talented.

2 days after my on-site, I got a verbal confirmation for an offer, and I decided to sign the next week :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at LendUp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was 4 - 1 hour interviews one after another followed by a short session with the in house recruiter. One of the interviews included lunch. Each interview focused on a different aspect of the job. The office is nice, it seems from the campus they have grown so fast, they don't have enough conference rooms to hold interviews in.

Interview Questions

LendUp Response

Dec 4, 2015 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the feedback - glad you had a positive experience :)

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LendUp (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Initially had an informal conversation with a recruiter, which then led to two technical phone screens (2 questions each) and then a day of onsite technical and behavioral interviews. Super fun process and met lots of really interesting people along the way--can't wait to join their team!

Interview Questions

• Typical data structures, algorithms, systems design questions.   Answer Question

LendUp Response

Jul 26, 2017

Dear Candidate,

We wanted to thank you for your feedback and appreciate your time in doing so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LendUp (New York, NY).

Interview

First there was a call generally scoping out further details of the resume and motivations for joining the company. There was a lot of time to ask questions. Then there was a coding challenge that was to be done over a few days.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LendUp.

Interview

Had phone interview and after some reminders got set up for a onsite interview.
    Onsite interview was 4 rounds + 1 manager round. They have 2 coding rounds, 1 coffee walk and another design round. Everyone seemed very nice. Interviewers are all young and seem straight out of college as they as ask rehearsed questions. All interviews went nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LendUp (Richmond, VA) in December 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me. We talk about the position and how we can move forward. She sent me a date for technical phone interview. After a week, she reached back to me and cancel the interview and rescheduled for next week because one of their Sr. Software Developer is busy with something or out of office. I waited until next week and same thing happened. She rescheduled another date at 2 pm on Wednesday. I was visiting my family that day, I went back to my hotel room and waited for the call. I never got a call or email why they could able to call. I never followed back either why I did not get a call because I was already tired of their process and how unprofessional they are .