Google Interview Question: Let's say we wanted to implem... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Product Manager Interview

Let's say we wanted to implement an Amazon Mayday like

feature in Gmail. How would that work?
Answer

Interview Answer

5 Answers

This is how I'd answer it:

"First, I want to clarify Amazon Mayday. From what I understand, it is a feature that connects you to live help on demand.If a user needs help, they click the "Mayday" button and they're connected to support. Is that how you are envisioning it?

Ok great - so based on that, what we're trying to solve is a way for users who are stuck to get help. The first thing I'd envision is a clear icon that's positioned clearly in the page. Ideally, I'd like to experiment with it in various places, but let's just assume it is prominently displayed. I'd also add a hover to the element to let the user know what it did.

When clicking the button, the user should connect to a person over a Google hangout. That person will then help them with their issue. Since gmail is an international product, and Google has language settings, the person should be fluent in the language that the user has set. If needed, they should also speak english to fall back.

The hangout would open, and the support person would ask the user (in their language) how they could help. Since not everyone has audio capabilities, the support person can also type in text. If possible, the connection should detect if audio is available when it is initiated.

In order to help, they would be able to take over the user's screen, but because of the sensitivity of email, they should inform the user they can see their screen as well as ask permission before performing actions. At any time, the user can choose to end the call.

At the end of the call, the user should be given the option to rate the person. To keep it less intrusive, keep the scale simple: maybe a serious of 5 faces, progressing from unhappy to extreme happy. Those ratings can then be used to improve the pool of helpers. The amount of highly satisfied users would be a success metric for the product.

So to summarize:
-We add an icon to the UI
-Clicking the icon opens a hangout
-The hangout can be text or ideally voice, in the user's language
-The "helper" on the hangout assists the user through their issue, able to see their screen and the actions they take, as well as being able to control the user's screen if needed
-At the end of the session, the helper is rated to make sure service quality is high

Is there any aspect you'd like me to drill into?"

Anonymous on Mar 30, 2015

mayday for GMAIL ? I bet not that many people use mayday on amazon --- Gold platting .

lol on May 7, 2015

I would structure it as follows:

Clarify - MayDay if you are not aware - MayDay allows you to reach a customer support agent via Video at the click of the button who can tell give you a clue on how to use various features.

With Google one has to remember that there is a whole enterprise business so my next Q would be

Is it for Enterprise business ? so that an employee can MayDay their customer service desk ?
Or is it for for employees/customers to reach Google directly?

Depending on the use case > one can go about identifying

> Who are the users?
> What are their current pain points ? what's the use case
> What are some of the examples in this marketplace around video support - what can we learn from them.

----

The main key with Gmail would be on how would you operationalize it - the # of Fire devices are paltry compared to Gmail users and that too if you account for international users.

Maybe a MayDay for Gmail could be MayDay your friends your colleagues your IT department or get a paid support through a marketplace as it would probably be illogical for google to pay if folks actually start calling.

Rahul on May 30, 2016

Hello!

After successfully completing my interviews, I started at Google as a PM. Seeing that there were not many useful interview prep guides specific to Google, I’ve created a document & study guide that gives all the details about my experience, the questions I’ve been asked and their detailed answers. You can buy the e-book at: https://interviewjoy.com/services/interview-process-details/google-manager-interview-questions-answers/

I’ve sold this interview prep book to many Google Manager candidates already and received many 5 star reviews. The book proved to be very useful for all types of manager/account associate interviews at Google! You can see the reviews of my buyers at the bottom of the service detail page linked above.

The book will give you a clear advantage during your interviews. You’re welcome to buy it from the interviewjoy.com website.

Thanks and good luck with your interview process!

Alex

Alex on Jun 7, 2019

For those who are looking for tips for interviews at Google, try Rooftop Slushie – career advice from verified FAANG employees.

Rooftop Sluhsie:

i.e. Google Cloud TPM:

Anonymous on Jun 18, 2019

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.