Liberty Mutual Insurance Actuarial Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 5, 2017

3.1

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview

Initial Phone interview, talked to HR person who did not have a background in Actuarial Science. The HR rep was asking Actuarial Questions she did not know the answers to.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain the role of an Actuary as if you were speaking to a child?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Phone Interview about 2 weeks after sending in my resume. Got an invitation the next day for a 2nd person in person interview... flew in about 2 weeks later and had a half day interview. There were 4 other people also interviewing. Interviewed with 3 different managers and got lunch with a student and the other interns. The hotel they had me stay at was REALLY REALLY nice... one of the best I've ever seen. Great experience overall....lunch was kinda weird though.

Actuarial Interview

Interview

Three interviews + lunch with two actuarial students. Questions were a mix of behavioral and technical. Very pleasant atmosphere. Questions were about what I had expected, but you can't prepare for everything they might ask you. I left very impressed with the organization and its people.

Interview Questions

• Technical question where you are given a chart or graph and asked to interpret it.   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview

HR responded to online application within a couple of business days. Gave me a few options for phone interview. Had a phone interview with actuary. Took about 45 minutes. He was very nice and pleasant to chat with. Standard questions but required thoughtful answers. Only got rejection email because I followed up after 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Whats the difference between life actuary and P&C actuary?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

At first, things moved pretty quickly. I was contacted only two days after I applied online to schedule a phone interview. Two days after the phone interview, they contacted me to fly in to the Seattle office. I then waited for two long months to finally be told I was rejected. They're extremely accommodating of women and minorities.

Interview Questions

• Can you interpret this graph? What can you tell me about it? (Interviewer then proceeds to show me a trendline/scatterplot/graph/etc...)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

-Had a phone interview(1hr), and two weeks later,they flew me to Seattle, for the on-site interview.
    We had a 1 hour information session on-site, followed by interviews with 3 senior actuaries,each one of those lasted for about 30 minutes and after had lunch with 2 entry-level analysts.
    The questions were behavioral, situational and technical. The technical questions were about interpreting graphs.

Interview Questions

• -Describe a situation in which you took an initiative
      -How did you explain something technical to a non-technical person?
      -Building versus Car, for which of those an insurance company needs to hold more cash? And why?
      -Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Boston, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone call screening with an actuary which lasted an hour. Afterwards there was an on site interview with 3 actuaries (one-on-one) and a lunch with 2 actuarial students.

Interview Questions

• There were some case/critical thinking questions and behavioral questions and some questions regarding yourself such as exam/school/past work experience   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Met a recruiter who referred me to the actuarial recruiter. We exchanged some emails, one of which she prompted me to apply. A few days after online submission, I was contacted via email about reaching the first round of interviews (phone). Phone interview was about ~30-60 minutes long and consisted of the basic questions. Maybe a few questions about what you know about actuary. Two weeks later, they notified me of reaching the next round (in-person). They organized a flight, hotel, and date for me and soon enough flew to Boston for the interview. Interview is 8:00AM to around 1:00PM, then a lunch with two actuarial assistants (so kind of like a casual interview). Interviews actually went by very fast; all the actuaries were very easy to talk to and it was great to hear more about their experiences.

Interview Questions

• Phone -- Why Actuary? Why Liberty? Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult team member/deadline/multi-task? What has your favorite non-major related class been so far and why?

In Person -- more technical and analytical, they want to know how you think/what you know about insurance/actuary   Answer Question

Actuary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied through a prior leadership event so the interview was an extension of the program. I had to apply for the program through an online data base, as a first round. Then they contacted me to do a follow up phone call. That consisted of basic questions such as why this major, what has your favorite class been so far and why, and so on. It was a 30 min interview. The conference was conducted by many of their senior campus recruiters so it was almost like a 3 day interview before the interview. Following the conference the interview was three 50 minute sessions, prior it had been five, each varied in style more person what do you know about the field/why do you want to do this work, behavioral, and semi situation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Albany, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

i apply online and they gave me a interview in college, it was a interview in person. it takes about 30 min for the interview. question are really normal, such as gave me an example that when you need to make a decision in a very short time.

Interview Questions

• normal, gave me a example that you think is most significant on your resume   Answer Question