Liberty Mutual Insurance Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 18, 2017

3.2

160 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview

I was very surprised on how unprofessional the manager of the office was. I found it difficult to get a word in because she did all talking and not about the position.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Dallas, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Very Difficult interview. There was a personality assessment along with word problems with simple math. I did not get a email for another interview after that. Definitely looking for people who already have sales experience it seemed which I did not have. I was just a recent college graduate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2017.

Interview

Contacted via recruiter via Indeed, email exchanges, brief phone interview with recruiter about job experience and explanation with one STAR question, in-person 2 panel interview. ...Liberty Mutual may want to reconsider who they choose to be their recruiters/hiring staff. I have 2 uni degrees, am multi-product licensed, and have 5 years of sales experience in a top AZ insurance office bringing in high sales and renewals last year, and yet I was still not chosen. What's more the two interviewing me seemed to take the interview as more of a joke. Multiple times I saw them scribble down things and show one another laughing to themselves while I was completing an assessment, probably thinking I wouldn't catch them. It made me very uncomfortable. They also were ill prepared and did not have their mission statement, start date of training,or job description and could not answer my questions about the job. They didn't know anything about me despite my original recruiter advising she emailed them my resume etc. and I had to go over my resume multiple times answering the same questions multiple times. Were they even listening? I was told I was the only one interviewing that day and still had to wait 20 extra minutes in the lobby. I will not pursue another's position here in the future. (My original recruiter handed me over to one of the girls who interviewed me to go on vacation so I believe I may have held a better chance with her. ) Disappointed in this company.

Interview Questions

• How many policies did you sell in your last position? Why should we hire you? Tell me about a time...   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Plano, TX).

Interview

Applied online on a Friday, took online behavioral questions and and completed simulated call center exercise. Received an email to schedule an over the phone interview with recruiter. Spoke with recruiter and received feedback. Recruiter scheduled in person interview for Monday of following week. Interviewed with 2 senior employees. Interview was very thorough and felt like a natural fit. Sent followup email to recruiter next day. Received call with offer 30 minutes after email.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker.   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had to change a customer's mind for the better.   Answer Question

Commercial Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview

Phone interview. 1 week later interviewed with 2 managers. 1 week later I was contacted for another phone interview. I was contacted 10 days later by email that they had offered the position to someone else.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an angry customer and how you dealt with him/her and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Farmington, CT) in June 2017.

Interview

I only completed the first step which was a 30 minute phone screening. They ask you a lot of questions about your current job, duties, reason you want to leave, etc. Then when they describe the Experienced Sales Rep position: it's not much like the job listing. It's an "outside sales rep" job, so ultimately you are working for yourself selling insurance--but you will have to find your own leads. Your schedule will "fit the customers needs" which means nights and weekends, standing at a booth at community events sort of thing! Cold Calling.
    Yes, they offer what seems like a nicely paid training program. But your salary decreases every few months as you are expected to be building your sales and number of policies, etc.

They seem very nice, but I give this a negative rating because the actual job description is different from what is listed on the hiring website.

Insurance Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Plano, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Started off with the online assessment that puts you in a call center environment via computer. Fairly simple and gives you an idea of a fast paced job. After that I was called by a recruiter and she interviewed me over the phone for about 45 min. A couple days later I was called by my recruiter for an in person interview. I accepted the offer but this background check is taking forever!

Interview Questions

• What makes you interested in selling insurance?   Answer Question
    • Do you feel like you can handle diversity and negativity?   Answer Question
    • How have you changed a customers mind in the past to be interested in what you're selling them?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Just be confident and honest. I am not going into this position with insurance experience and I made that clear. But I also made it clear that I am a hard worker and highly trainable.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Plano, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online and took online quiz for personality and then did a virtual call center training course. Not difficult, it makes you take 2 calls as if you were a rep working at the center. 3 days later was called by a recruiter who first gave me an overview of the position then asked my experience, followed by some "what if/what would you do/how would you handle?" type questions. Example:

You've got a customer who has a policy with farmers that is less expensive than Liberty Mutual, why should they choose Liberty? What would you say to convince them?

We talked for about 30 minutes and she told me what type of person they want for the job and what type of mentality it requires to get the position. Then told me that my answers were being sent to the hiring team and I would hear back from her in a few days: Good or Bad.

3 days later I received a phone call from my recruiter congratulating me for being chosen to move on to the in-person interviews and, shortly after, an email came with the time and to bring multiple copies of my resume and dress professionally. My recruiter again went over the position and expectations with me while I had her on the phone, and gave me examples of what kind of questions to expect from the hiring team.

The day of my interview my recruiter met me in the lobby to again go over the position and what the expectations are and we did a practice set of questions. She wished me luck and soon after a manager came and greeted me and took me to an office where with another manager. Both had laptops and introduced themselves before asking me to introduce myself and go over my qualifications starting with my most recent job. Then they told me they would move on to some situation questions to see how I'd handle objections, watch a brief video, and then answer some "tell me about a time when" questions.

The managers really wanted to make sure I was the right mentality for the job, said it paid very well and money is to be made but it wasn't easy and I would have to be able to handle the "grind" and be able to handle rejection. They wanted me to know exactly what the expectations were and gave me a good idea what obstacles I was going to face, and they asked me what would I require from them, if offered the position, to better prepare me to take on these obstacles.

Afterwards they asked about my schedule and had me a sign a form saying when I was available and on what class days I could attend. They told me my recruiter would follow-up with me within 3-5 days regarding their decision, and one manager took me on a quick tour of the office and we parted ways.

1 hour later my recruiter contacted me and asked me how it went, and how I felt about the position. I told her I was nervous but I feel I am the man for the job and that I hope I did enough to earn the opportunity. She said I did and congratulated me with an offer of employment.

Now doing the background check. It's a very thorough investigation through a 3rd party company. Said it could take up to 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when you had to change a customers mind for the better? And how did you do it?   2 Answers
    • Tell me of time where you had to deal with a difficult co-worker? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked me how much money I wanted to make and how much I was making at my last job. Salary is set amount with additional commission and bonuses.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Houston, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

The process is extremely difficult. You first take an online assessment, then do a simulation on day-to-day activities..which is also a to see how you approach things. Then there's a phone interview. If you make it past that, you meet with the branch manager. The branch manager told me I'll need to put together a marketing plan and come back to present it. That interview was hard because the manager dissected my resume vs asking typical behavior questions. Prepare to sell yourself and your past work history, HARD. Also, have plenty of questions to ask the manager after the interview.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Westborough, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interviewing process was extremely positive and efficient. Before I received an offer, I had an in-person meeting with a recruiter, many email exchanges, an informational interview over the phone and two formal in-person interviews.

The interviews were on-site which gave me a great accurate glimpse of office culture and the work environment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to persuade someone and they weren't on-board with the idea. How did you handle their objections?   Answer Question