Life Time Fitness Personal Trainer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 28, 2018

2.9

54 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Life Time Fitness (Dublin, OH).

Interview

First initial interview is usually with the PT Director of the Club. He may have you on the spot, take a piece of paper, and tell you to walk the fitness floor and get 5 different people's thoughts on why they joined the club and tell you to come back.

If you make it to the next stage, you come in to train one of the trainers, who is typically an Assistant Director (can be anywhere from 3-6 of these depending on size of club). Be ready for them to throw a monkey wrench in whatever you had planned (will possibly act as if they have bad knees, ankle injury, etc.) If you are lucky, they will just want a good workout, because typically it is their down time when they usually workout anyway.

The third stage is usually with the GM of the club who oversees the entire club. Be ready to know information about the club. My GM asked me on the spot what the mission statement was, word for word. I was given a heads up by the 2nd interviewer. Also, depending on the person, (my GM was a little different), asked random fitness questions, such as how many bones in the body or something random like that.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Life Time Fitness

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Life Time Fitness.

Interview

The true process of becoming a trainer at LTF is 3-way process. First you must get an interview which, if you have a clean record with a background in fitness, is not all that difficult. You meet with each of the 3 or 4 department heads and discuss your experience, background, etc (it's a piece of cake if you have any sense or present yourself reasonably well).

The next step is going through the week-long certification process wherever it's being held (I must admit that it's sort of nice, they give you a $500 stipend for food and pay for your hotel and gas expenses for the week). You sit with new hires from around the region and learn the products, go through the sales process, learn the commission structure, take group classes together, etc.

The final step in the process is the only difficult part and that is applying this to the gym where you work: Setting up tasting booths, prospecting new leads off the gym, setting up your schedule and book of business. Even though most people wouldn't consider this a formal part of hiring, there is definitely a sink-or-swim period when first hired and a very high turnover rate among new trainers who think they're going to be given a great book of business out of the gate. If you fight like a gazelle, you have a chance to make some real money but there are extremely long hours involved (many of which you're not actually working but sitting in an empty gym throughout your 7 hour shift) and you have to do alot of the work on your own. If I had to guess, I would say 1 or 10 trainers at LTF lasts more than 3 years or steps into a management role. Everyone else comes to their senses and realizes what a waste of time it is to expect things from higher up's who are mainly out for themselves.

Interview Questions

• How much time are you willing to spend generating your own training leads? Are you willing to sell exactly what you're told when you're told to sell it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. It's 100% commission job and you create your own leads completely.

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Life Time Fitness (Tulsa, OK) in February 2012.

Interview

Went through an extensive interview process. phone interview, in person with manager, and then in person with the general manager, very professional. They went through the normal interview process... where do you hope to be in 5 years, what are your goals for working with this company, etc. etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very quick and easy

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Life Time Fitness.

Interview

Initial interview with PT Manager or Assistant Manager. The second interview is your practical interview. If you can pass the practical interview (train someone and design a program) you'll be good. Understand exercise order and progressions...biggest muscle groups first and end with smaller stability muscles. Learn how to coach squats properly. Don't use therapy/balance exercises for a weight loss client who is otherwise healthy, for example.

Interview Questions

• business/sales questions and program design/physiology questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation. they tell you what they need and you accept on those terms. no part-time employment. this is an all-in career.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Life Time Fitness (Rockville, MD) in March 2014.

Interview

I reached out to the head of personal training after doing research on the website and figuring out who to contact. We arranged to meet and had exchanged numerous email. On the day of my interview, I arrived early and was left waiting for about 15 minutes. None of the staff had any idea of what was going on. Turns out, the person I was supposed to interview with wasn't there that day. I spoke with the assistant department head who was really nice. He asked me questions about Life Time's mission statement and why I want to work at Life Time over other gyms, pretty typical.
    He then went on to tell me about how Life Time runs their personal training - it's all sales. Basically, their trainers have to meet a quota for personal training package sales, supplement sales, and equipment sales. So basically, it's a sales job. The actual training is secondary to the quota you have to meet. I was instantly turned off to the company and the position. I had been a member of Life Time for years and it was actually how I got into fitness. Discovering that they're more focused on money than their members was like finding out Santa isn't real.
    All in all, the assistant department head told me I'd have to come back when the guy I was supposed to interview with returned; I found out we had both wasted an hour of our time.

Interview Questions

• You will have to sell training packages, can you do that?   1 Answer

Personal Trainer Interview

Interview

5 interviews total, It is more about making sure you are a good fit for Life Time Fitness and they for you. The Personal training industry takes dedication and you have got to have it if you will be successful. I got the impression they really try to weed out those that don't "want" it but are just looking for something easy to do, it isn't easy

Interview Questions

• As someone who has not trained anyone before, the most awkward, difficult part was the practical floor interview, where you are in the trainer role with a person who may be your superior if you are successful in getting a job offer   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Life Time Fitness (Lawrenceville, GA).

Interview

I had to undergo 3 interviews from: Department Head, Shadowing from a Veteran Personal Trainer and then the General Manager of the facility. It took over 2 weeks to finalize it but nearly a month before I was on the payroll.

Interview Questions

• Just be ready to show your work off as a trainer as a practical is required on the floor. LFT wants to see how you train a client, even with injuries. NASM is the best license to have for this company   1 Answer

Negotiation

100% Commission

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Life Time Fitness (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2012.

Interview

Three interviews. First, the department head. Second, your team leader within the personal training department. Lastly, the General Manager of the club.
    A very easy interview process, especially meeting the GM. The department head is only looking to get more people onboard and actually will sell you on the position. If it doesn't work out they just hire a replacement. Turnover is crazy in this industry.

Interview Questions

• The "most difficult" questions come from your team leader who will take your through the club's "training solutions" consultation in order to get to know you and how your versed in health and fitness. They might also ask for your expertise on program design or nutrition.   Answer Question

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Life Time Fitness.

Interview

Straight Forward. Just be personable.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Life Time Fitness (Houston, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process consist of... application... initial interview... practical interview... interview with dh... interview with the gm... phone interview with personal trainer regional department lead

Interview Questions

• Asked to sale personal training on the spot with no indication of how the process is done   Answer Question