LinkedIn Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 50 of over 2,132.0 interviews

Recruiter21%
Employee Referral21%
2.8
HardAverageEasy

What people are saying about LinkedIn

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

LinkedIn

Application

I interviewed at LinkedIn

Interview

First, you will get a phone call from the recruiter and the recruiter will ask you a basic SQL question. Once you passed the phone screen, you will be scheduled to have another interview, which is 1hr30mins and has 2 parts. Part 1 is a technical interview that assesses your coding skills in SQL and R/Python. Then, part 2 is to examines your product sense.

Interview Questions
  • Given this problem (pasted on a notepad), write a SQL query to return the following
    Answer Question

LinkedIn

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at LinkedIn

Interview

Recruiter told me I would be interviewing for a experimentation role, but I got questions that had nothing to do with experimentation. It felt like I had applied for a completely different position.

Interview Questions
  • 1. Derive variance(X+Y); 2. Is L1 or L2 Lasso? Which is Ridge regression?

LinkedIn

Application

I interviewed at LinkedIn

Interview

I got a phone interview for this position after recruiter reaching out. Phone interview was about technical questions, mainly on SQL and a mini case. The interviewer was nice and friendly.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Boston, MA) in Aug 2021

Interview

After the first introduction phone call I was invited for a coding/ML interview. The interview had two parts. The first part was a coding question for about 25 minutes. The question was to implement an algorithm that samples from a discrete distribution given the probabilities of the events and I was allowed to use only basic random generators. The question was easy to solve by building intervals on the real line in proportion to the given probabilities and applying a binary search. The second part was questions about ML foundations. They asked me to explain logistic regression and its loss function and how to optimize it. Also some questions about metrics to evaluate ML algorithms and evaluation methods in general

Interview Questions
  • Given a dice with M sides and the probability of each side, implement an algorithm that simulates rolling the dice for a given number of times.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at LinkedIn (New Delhi)

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and got shortlisted for the online test on hackerrank. The test contains 4 sql questions and 4 MCQ questions. The table name and informations provided in these questions was designed so badly that it was frustrating. After struggling with these SQL questions i realised that the table names and schema provided was wrong. I am not sure how they can have some one in company who is responsible for designing the questions with so much errors.. Even after i informed the HR didn't get any response.. probably too ashamed to accept their mistakes.

Interview Questions
  • Mostly related to joining the multiple tables . if the information provided is right very simple to solve
2 people found this interview helpful

LinkedIn

Application

I interviewed at LinkedIn

Interview

The recruiter contacted me himself via linkedin and showed interest. Then we had a call and he asked in which of their teams I am interested and when I selected the team, he aid we don't have hiring for this team right now and I'll update you soon when they have hiring. I contacted him several times after that and he never responded to my emails.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Bangalore) in Feb 2021

Interview

I applied for the role at LinkedIn through LinkedIn only. After few days, I was reached out by the HR for the next steps. Firstly a technical online test was to be cleared. 1 Python question(it was very simple; if you work on Python) and 3 SQL queries were asked. On clearing this, first telephonic interview was setup in which I was asked a problem solving case study and 1 SQL query. After successfully clearing this round, onsite interviews were scheduled. Onsite is supposed to happen at LinkedIn office but since LinkedIn was working from home, so all of them were scheduled virtually on a single day. The onsite rounds started with data manipulation round (basically multiple SQL queries were asked from me which covered concepts of joins, CTE, aggregation etc.). Apart from data manipulation, there was a problem solving case study round, applied statistics round, data storytelling round and the hiring manager round. Each round went for 45mins to 1 hr. After all rounds, after 2 weeks I was communicated with the results. Just after the Interviews, I felt positive for the result since I was able to answer all the questions but, unfortunately the HR told me that due to lack of experience I was rejected. The interview experience was good with the kind & quality of questions which mainly focussed on SQL, stats and indepth case study based problem solving questions but overall i felt that if only I was to be rejected based on lack of experience, I should have been communicated at the start and should not have been shortlisted at the starting only. Felt this gap there within their interview process.

Interview Questions
  • question on self joins, CTE, aggregations, grouping, ranks
  • basic stats questions related to standard deviation, probability distributions
7 people found this interview helpful

LinkedIn

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn

Interview

I had applied on linkedin. Recruiter reached out with the hackerrank test, then after it, resume screening with HR who explained the next steps, after that had initial telephonic interview.

Interview Questions
  • HackerRank test: 4 questions (SQL and Python) (80 min) Telephonic interview: Data manipulation, Problem Solving Case Study then Basic Statistics (45 min)

LinkedIn

Application

I interviewed at LinkedIn

Interview

It was cool. Requires sound concepts in programming and analysis and stats. Challenges your thinking on the spot. Highly recommend to brush your concepts before going to interview. Practice data science related questions

Interview Questions
  • Tell me Why you are applying for this role?
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (New York, NY) in Jul 2020

Interview

Their recruiter reached out to me on Linkedin. Started with a HR screen, then technical phone screen, and then finally a virtual onsite. The people were all awesome, the recruiters were very responsive and had a great understanding of what to expect. Seems like a great place to work as most people had been there for 5+ years. One guy was over pedantic regarding SQL question...

Interview Questions
  • HR screen: tell me about your past experience, skills, and interest. Tech screen: Write a function in pandas to manipulate world population data. Do the same thing in SQL, then a probability question about picking between lines in a store. Onsite: Business case study (anomaly detection), craftsmanship interview (how to spot errors in code, best practices, etc), data story-telling (given a small sample of data present insights), behavioral interview, technical screen (write window functions in SQL, then port code to Pandas)
12 people found this interview helpful