LinkedIn Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 1, 2018

2.8

30 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

3 Telephonic interviews and 4 on-site interviews. Interview questions were not very difficult. In fact, between telephonic and onsite interviews lots of repeat questions were asked, which I thought was unprofessional. The whole process took more than 3 months. Overall easy / average interview. I did not get the offer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

The consumer analytics team is basically all H1bs, with only Chinese H1bs in leadership. No vacation, long hours, and coworkers that had no understanding of product analytics to name a few of the perks that came out during the interview. I could barely understand their questions during the interview. They got angry when I asked them to repeat.

Hiring manager is arrogant, deceptive and clearly favors Chinese H1bs over non-Chinese employees. Admitted team was struggling and the sense I got is that they might go through a reorg with Microsoft purchase.

It was clear that the team lacked any understanding of the users of Linkedin. LinkedIn is struggling to grow or get users to remain on platform. They have no clue how to fix it. I sensed layoffs are a coming.

Interview Questions

• What product metrics do you construct? How to tell if your experiment is successful?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn in December 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me a few days after I applied online. The second round phone interview was with a hiring manager, ask me a few questions about my passed experiences. The hiring manager was really nice, we were experiencing a cutting off, so she paste the questions to me. It wasn't hard. But my skill set was not solid enough.

Interview Questions

• How many lines do you think a users' daily login table has? And a general SQL question about joining two table with some conditions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Recruiter phone interview followed by one technical phone round based on mostly SQL and R. Onsite interview for 5 hours with product managers and data scientist. Questions were mostly focused on A/B and one stats/probability round. Disappointed with the recruiter who didn't bother to give me the feedback in-spite of sending her multiple emails. The company providing recruiting platform needs to improve their recruiting process. Interview experience was good, though I am rating it as negative since I value feedback.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at LinkedIn in December 2016.

Interview

I talked to her about my project experience, she asked details in some machine learning algorithm though she's an HR. And we also talked about some creative questions. Overall she's a nice person to talk to and I thought it was a good conversation, however, it turns out later that she didn't think so.

Interview Questions

• Describe a previous project   1 Answer
    • How can you help to improve sales given a LinkedIn database   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn in November 2016.

Interview

Phone call with a recruiter followed by a technical phone screen.

The recruiter was nice enough but the interviewer had an extremely heavy accent that was nearly indecipherable and seemed distracted during the interview. He also seemed to be unfamiliar with the interview question or was not well-rehearsed and I could hear obvious paper flipping and presumably note checking in the background as he asked questions

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

contacted by HR and then 1 round of phone screen with coding tests on sql. cover pretty basic thing. followed by on-site interview with 7 interviewers testing different areas. the interview was pretty comprehensive and covers almost all areas related to the job.

Interview Questions

• SQL, Coding (R/Python), Product Case, Machine Learning, Stats   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter. Two phone interviews were arranged. The first interviewer asked some basic questions about my resume and then we went into the technical questions. Two questions were asked, both about searching in sorted arrays of numbers. The second interview was almost identical, except that the question was more about algorithm design, which required general problem solving skill.

Interview Questions

• Questions are not difficult. It is important to review basic algorithm design and know how to talk through the interview, and know when to ask for help.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

The bad:

1) they NEVER reimburse my travel expense! the person in charge of reimbursement never reply and the HR kicks the ball around.

2) well, the HR. the LinkedIn HR told me to show up at 10:00AM, and I was told at the front desk to start interviewing at 12:30PM! And here's nobody there to have lunch with me! So I thought of calling my old friends at Google next door and completely forget about the company for their lack of professionalism, since I already got an attractive offer from my other interview in the city pinned by a huge needle from the space.

Fortunately another HR showed up. Then I spent 2 hours in the morning hanging out at a nearby starbucks (of course I paid for the coffee that they never reimburse, and i witnessed there how starbucks interview prospective coffee staff) before we had some mediocre indian food onsite.

The nightmare hasn't stopped. the HR tried to persuade me into accepting the offer right after the interview like a (Toyota) car dealer without even giving me a concrete number. It was around 6 in the evening. I was hungry because of the just-so-so indian food. I was really too tired after visiting two west coast cities from the east coast and having two extensive interviews in 3 days. And she started to say I appear to have the passion for the company ... well ... that lack of consideration really ruined the image of the professional social network in my mind.

The good that I have to acknowledge:

1) interesting (would-be) co-workers. Guess you won't miss Daniel if you run into the data scientist position. I highly recommend his blog (http://thenoisychannel.com/2011/08/08/retiring-a-great-interview-problem/).

2) Location. Well, that's a double sword since the campus site is getting surrounded by Google. But I do feel a very passionate hacker culture in the bay area.

3) the data problems at the company is highly unformulated. I guess there's plenty interesting things to exercise your ninja skills.

Other things to notice:

1) they didn't seem to care much about what you did if you have a non-computer science PhD. Guess you'll have to think over that ... it's a double sword on your career.

2) where will the company go? It's a sure thing that LinkedIn will never gain such traction as facebook. I do feel that the headhunter activities have declined a lot recently. While companies embrace for twitter and facebook as primary engaging channel, where will the channel that only talks about professional interaction go?

Interview Questions

• Talk about a product that you wanna build at linkedin   1 Answer
    • generating a sorted vector from two sorted vectors.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by linkedin recruiter for data scientist position for which my background does not at all match. Similarly I had interview with Linkedin in exact same way for some front end technologies. It is ridiculous to know the company with largest professional network can not find right people for right jobs. Linkedin recruiters are very rude even after telling them my background is different and I want to pursue different role. They will make you give an interview for some random position in their mind for you and do not allow you to interview for positions for which you are a good match.