LinkedIn Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

LinkedIn Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

2.7

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at LinkedIn in December 2016.

Interview

I talked to her about my project experience, she asked details in some machine learning algorithm though she's an HR. And we also talked about some creative questions. Overall she's a nice person to talk to and I thought it was a good conversation, however, it turns out later that she didn't think so.

Interview Questions

• Describe a previous project   1 Answer
  • How can you help to improve sales given a LinkedIn database   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

The consumer analytics team is basically all H1bs, with only Chinese H1bs in leadership. No vacation, long hours, and coworkers that had no understanding of product analytics to name a few of the perks that came out during the interview. I could barely understand their questions during the interview. They got angry when I asked them to repeat.

Hiring manager is arrogant, deceptive and clearly favors Chinese H1bs over non-Chinese employees. Admitted team was struggling and the sense I got is that they might go through a reorg with Microsoft purchase.

It was clear that the team lacked any understanding of the users of Linkedin. LinkedIn is struggling to grow or get users to remain on platform. They have no clue how to fix it. I sensed layoffs are a coming.

Interview Questions

• What product metrics do you construct? How to tell if your experiment is successful?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn in November 2016.

Interview

Phone call with a recruiter followed by a technical phone screen.

The recruiter was nice enough but the interviewer had an extremely heavy accent that was nearly indecipherable and seemed distracted during the interview. He also seemed to be unfamiliar with the interview question or was not well-rehearsed and I could hear obvious paper flipping and presumably note checking in the background as he asked questions

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

I have emailed a recruiter, sent her my resume and she got back to me to schedule a chat. The chat with the recruiter was about cultural fit. She checked that I cared about Linkedin mission and its core values. Nothing hard if you genuinely want to work there.

After that I was sent a takehome challenge to be completed in 3/4 hours. As others were saying, if you prepare on the book "a collection of data science takehome challenges", you will be good. If you don't have time to go through all of them, just focus on the one related to predicting employee salaries...
    Before applying, I would suggest to practice on that book challenges and save R or Python scripts to then reuse them. That will save you a lot of time. Also, under time pressure, it is going to be so much easier if you have the main scripts ready.

After the challenge, I went for the onsite. I was really scared, but it was actually easier than I thought.

There were some probability puzzles, but really simple if you have a basic understanding of probability and if you prepared on the heard on wall street book.
    There was also one question where I had to describe how to implement and test a model to catch fake profiles. But the interviewer didn't ask me to go too much into details. It was mostly about which features I think would matter. I think they wanted to see if I had product sense.

One day after the onsite, I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• Can't tell you the actual questions, but if you have basic machine learning knowledge and you prepare on the books "heard on wall street" (for the onsite) and "collection of takehome challenges" (for the takehome step) you are good. Everything is in those 2 books.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn in December 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me a few days after I applied online. The second round phone interview was with a hiring manager, ask me a few questions about my passed experiences. The hiring manager was really nice, we were experiencing a cutting off, so she paste the questions to me. It wasn't hard. But my skill set was not solid enough.

Interview Questions

• How many lines do you think a users' daily login table has? And a general SQL question about joining two table with some conditions.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in March 2015.

Interview

The process took 3 weeks. The recruiter was helpful. Questions were simple and basic. There was a coding round and an interview with a hiring manager. The coding round was simple and the interviewer was helpful. Interview about the hiring manager were mostly about problem solving ad coming up with metrics

Interview Questions

• Coding round had mostly SQL questions and one question on file handling that was just basic logic.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in February 2015.

Interview

Got a phone interview from HR, and did not hear anything back ever since.
    Don't know if the interview process need to take so long.
    The HR said there will be some follow up interviews but has not heard anything back for over 3 weeks.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

phone screen with hr, pretty standard. Feedback from hiring manager that they want a more experienced candidate. Must be able to write Python and have lots experience in machine learning

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

I applied through the LinkedIn website and was contacted by a recruiter to set up an interview. The interview itself was very friendly and laid back. The recruiter told me about the different positions available within the data science department, and how the entire department was structured. According to the recruiter, there's usually a first (phone/skype) interview with a recruiter, a second (phone/skype) interview with one of the team leaders, and a third (fly-in) interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to come up with some of the factors that could be used to produce certain algorithms ('people you may know,' and an algorithm to discover when a person is starting to search for new job).   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn in April 2014.

Interview

The Interviewer ask the running up staircase with n steps quesion which need to get how many possible ways to run up the stairs. Each time you can hop either 1 step, 2 steps or 3 steps at a time. In addition, he asks some question about my research such as graph algorithms.

Interview Questions

• The unexpected question is that the HR told me the interview will ask questions about sql but the interviewer ask the quesions about algorithm which I prepare nothing for that.   Answer Question