LinkedIn Front End Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 27, 2017

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer - Front End Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin. Overall the process was great and everybody I spoke to were nice. Apart from the position , I was mainly concerned about culture and work-life balance and everybody I spoke to were really happy about working there.

1) Technical phone screen - This was a standard collabedit phone screen. Part-1 I was given some code and was asked the output and how to fix it. It was based on scope and JS inheritance. Part-2 HTML/CSS Had to code it from an image they had. I was also asked to explain floats| promises| accessibility.This was pretty straightforward, make sure you brush up on core JS.

2) Heard back roughly a week later and was invited Onsite. The onsite had 6 interviews with lunch. The HR will give you the different modules each interview focuses on. All interviews we mainly focused on UI(html/css/js) except 1 which was an Algo string manipulation question.
    Some modules were just JS, some I had to build out the whole component as a plugin(html/css/js). The design question was also more UI layer focused than system architecture which was unusual.

3) I left thinking I did well in all my interviews. But unfortunately I didn't get the job, the reason I was given was Design and 1 Js round feedback wasn't good. In both interviews I kept an open dialog discussed solution , improved with hints and reach a agreeable outcome. It was disappointing to not get specific feedback , so I'm not sure what really went wrong.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation. Write a jquery method in pure JS. Pragmatic UI.   2 Answers

Staff Software Engineer, Front End Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The technical portion of the interview is 3 stages:
    1) Technical phone interview.
    2) In person interview for skills.
    3) In person interview for fit.

Overall, the interview process was a positive experience. The recruiting staff at LinkedIn is extremely professional and did a great job of keeping me informed as the process progressed. They took extra care to make sure that there were no surprises and, for the most part, I felt extremely well prepared.

The only issue I ran into was that the Front End engineering team used to be part of UX (not Engineering) and that is extremely apparent during certain portions of the interview. As an engineer (and not a UI/UX expert) some of the questions were entirely outside my area of expertise.

Interview Questions

• Build a calendar web application.   1 Answer

Senior Front-End Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

1 phone screen + on site. One of my interview was with a junior who tried to convince me that there is a native debounce function in JS and that recursion is common for its performance. Also, for whatever reason, my algorithm interview was heavily focused on recursion (touting its performance) and Math. Design question was also cultural specific and irrelevant to day-to-day application design.

Senior Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application online, and their recruiter got back to me. I stopped at the technical phone interview. They ask some question about JavaScript knowledge, and I didn't well prepared.

Software Engineer- Front End Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Typical interview setup. Call with recruiter, then arranged for a phone screen. Phone screen was setup with collabedit for 1 hour. Coding questions were not that difficult, one was to massage a javascript object to a specific format and other was a nested array normalization algo question, for which i used javascript, and few questions on javascript (promises, dom etc). Completed the phone screen within 40 mins. Then the recruiter setup onsite interview on the following week. Onsite was again typical with 5 rounds.
    First round was general frontend questions, was asked to created a custom tooltip component, like the one in linked in homepage. whiteboared everything from markup to css to javascript.

Second round is were I think i messed up. The person interviewing me was a data scientist, and this was the first time he was interviewing a frontend person. The question took me off guard as it was a basic algo question, which I was not prepared for (covert roman numerals to number and vice versa)

Third round was lunch interview. Just talked about my release process and asked questions about tech stack in linkedin and other stuff.

Fourth round was a manager, who questioned me about my career goals, my previous accomplishments, and asked to code a api server for a small project. And kept making notes and yawing all through the talk, which really felt bad.

Fifth round was architecture questions, coded up everything from the datastore level, to apis and UI.

Last round was again with couple of webdevs, but again 2 questions on algorithms. This time coded up without any flaw and finished it up so quickly the interviewers were running out of questions to ask.
    (one question on matching braces and one more on object mapping in javascript)

From the outset, I believed I did really great in the interview, that was the feedback from the last set of interviewers too, who said we will meet you soon on campus, but things didn't turn out that way. Recruiter called be a week later and says I am not a fit. Guess I messed one question on 2nd round algos, because I remember I did well on every other question in the interviews. Really felt weird they say I am a reject, but anyway got a really better offer somewhere else. Bye linkedin.

Interview Questions

• Javascript promises, object mapping, build custom tooltip, nested array normalizing with counter for each level of nesting, roman numeral to number, build a architecture for a game they had in mind, find the missing braces in a string of code.   Answer Question

Front-End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Dallas, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

A recruiter found my resume in their system and contacted me. I didn't know why the recruiter contacted me, my resume is not so brilliant. Less than 1 year of experience, no intern experience, no portfolio work, no high GPA, no certification, not so many projects. But I simply accepted their interview.
    1st one is a phone interview, just asked basic situation and scheduled a coding interview.
    2nd one is a coding interview, a senior called me on the phone and use collabedit to do the coding. She asked me some CSS/Javascript basic knowledge questions for 30 mins and gave me a coding question for another 30mins.
    The experience is good because the recruiter is so kind and did very good follow up.

Interview Questions

• CSS/JS basic: How do you hide an element in web page? How many ways can you compare two objects in javascript?
      Coding: valid number.   1 Answer

Software Engineer - Front-End Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn in November 2014.

Interview

Phone interview:
    Two Algorithm questions, which could be found on this site.
    And some HTML/CSS/JS questions.
    Not so difficult by probably need perfect response.

The recruiter failed to schedule my interview twice and then left the position.
    It took me two months to get first round interview.

Front End Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in May 2014.

Interview

I applied through my school's career fair. It was a total of 2 phone interviews and an onsite which I didn't make. The first phone interviewer was nice and helped me with the problems. The second one was a bit moody and I was confused by one question.

Interview Questions

• The questions were expected and was asked a few css and javascript questions in additional.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Phone interview was setup by a recruiter, and the phone tech interview was great.
    Was asked basic UI questions related to Javascript, (closures, functions, object oriented) CSS, AJAX, etc
    and then was called for onsite interview.
    Interview panel consisted of 3 developers and one product lead.
    Product lead asked general questions like reasons for quitting, what interests you, how was previous proj exp etc.

Interview Questions

• Deveopers asked about javascript questions and asked to write pseduo code, and a CSS guru asked quite a bit of css specificity questions,
      Javascript questions included - binary tree, closures, inheritance, execute a function without a constructor -> (function xyz(){....})();   Answer Question

Search Engineer, Front End Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

I got a call from a recuruiter, and followed by a phone interview. The interviewer asked couple of questions about algorithms. Some how he was not getting the message from me what I was trying to say. May be over the phone was killing the talk. But, got accepted to on site interview.
    The interview on site took 3 hourss ( a complete waste of my time). First guy came in, surprisingly different one than expected as other guy did not show up, and asked me 3 algorithmic questions. Looked like he was satisfied with the answers as I was suggesting different solutions than he had pre determined in his mind. My solutions were very close in terms of time and complexity.
    Second, an UI person came in. 10 years of experience in plain HTML/JSp static pages. No clue about hard core JS. Kept asking me about my experience. Did nt even have UI related questions to ask me as I think she paniced when I told her that I tech lead UI guys onsite and off shore. She asked me couple of pre-prepared JAVA questions rather than asking me UI questions. "how to desgin Hash_map or table" and "what do you need to implement equals method". Come on, UI person needs to stick to his/her domain.
    Third person, ex-google. Came in to test general coding abilities. We had a good talk over coding patterns and class loaders. But it did nt matter, as recuriter came in saying first 2 ppl did nt think that I am a best fit.
    I was like, did you guys even read the resumes before asking to come in on-site. totally wasted my 3 hours. Had no idea what were they interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• Find the Kth hisghest element in a given array.   5 Answers
    • randomize an array.   4 Answers
    • In a given list of words, find matching words in the list that can be generated from the patterns of a given word.   2 Answers