LinkedIn Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 18, 2017

3.2

77 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I have been interviewed by Linkedin before, this time they reached out me again. Still same process, one phone interview, it went well, then on-site, two coding, one tech communication, one system design, one behavior analysis. I didn't get offer, this is OK for me. But the feedback is weird, which is I am strong in system design and tech communication, but weak on algorithm. But thing is what the interviewer asked I've practiced in leetcode, I am pretty sure my solution is correct. I also put the solution in my GitHub repo. I guess for coding part, this company should have a score system instead of someone said it's right or not. Otherwise this is wasting people's time.

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Started with a technical phone screen with two problems. One was a LeetCode Easy, and one was a version of implement an LRU cache. Pretty easy, and the interviewers were nice and seemed smart. I moved on to the onsite.

There are five interviews at the onsite level. 2 coding, one with a hiring manager, one system design, one project overview. Coding problems were significantly harder in person than on phone screen. I don't know why they would do that. What drove me crazy is that I had a working answer (similar to his but not exactly what he wanted) and the interviewer wouldn't allow me to code it. He kept trying to point me to his solution. I thought the point of a good engineer is that we can come up with solutions on our own? I think that kind of interview process speaks poorly to their culture.

The second coding interviewer wasn't paying attention. I described my algorithm, started coding, and he started correcting my syntax. However, he was correcting it to a different language. And then he said 'well we don't use that here...' Okay, I thought the point was that the interview is language agnostic? This happened in the phone screen as well (asked me to code in Java). After I explained no, I am not using Java, he stopped paying attention at all. He just browsed something on his computer (scrolling and scrolling, and occasional clicks.. kind of like how you would use reddit..). I said I was done. He ignored me. I said it louder, he finally looked up and then took forever to catch up. He seemed very skeptical of my solution. I looked up the problem later, and my answer was the top rated on LeetCode so shrug. I had never seen that problem before.

I was very turned off by people insisting LinkedIn is a 'financially stable startup'. LinkedIn IPO'd years and years ago, and they were bought out over a year ago. One of the guys who explained he had only worked at startups said he didn't realize how political and redtapy big companies are. I'm guessing there's an internal push to claim they are a startup?

Only one interviewer was a real jerk (the guy who didn't pay attention), but I don't think I would interview there again. There is a lot of ego.

Interview Questions

• Deserialize and Serialize a Binary tree   1 Answer
    • Find all palindromic subsequences.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Initial phone screen followed by a 6 hours onsite interview.

Questions were similar to what other glassdoor reviewers posted. Practice the problems in leetcode and glassdoor.

Their interviews are terribly long. It lasts up to 6 hours without a break. So make sure you are well fed and hydrated. Being fresh through the last round is more important.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview process is pretty standard with a phone round and onsite schedule for 5 interviews + lunch.
    1. To start with phone round was average difficulty, questions from leetcode majorly.
    The only issue here, the interviewer trying to push his way of doing things on me, even though my way was better int time complexity and space complexity both. (Question: NestedList sum and basically reverse of that). I had to explain him in deep why is my code better and much more efficient, which as a Interviewer he should have caught much before me explaining him.
    2.1 Onsite Hiring Manager Interview: Pretty straight forward and a lot of things we talked about including last projects and his last project and in the end he gave me a question he solved in 5 years to see my approach, overall really helpful interview.
    2.2 Technical Communication: Again pretty straight forward interview take one of your best and one that you can clearly explain project and start talking about it, and answer any question they have.
    2.3 Lunch: Pretty smooth. (Their cafeteria is much better than google and facebook quality wise!!)
    2.4 Code Round1: Here all the negative started, one of the interviewer was a bit junior and the other senior and junior decided to lead the interview with one of the medium level question from Leetcode (Expression Operator). The problems: a] She didn't know how to solve the question she basically opened the LeetCode on her computer to keep it checked with my answer b] They don't want you to use your approach as they don't understand (they were super unprepared like Super!) c] Two interviewers not listening to my answers that I am giving to other one instead concentrating on their own questions instead of constructive its more like (You are Wrong!) kind of interview. d] They asked me to optimize the code which was optimized till the core (Basically expecting 4^n solution set but time complexity less than 4^n). They didn't understand this and kept pulling me till the end of the hour when one of them finally understood he was wrong and said that "This is most optimized one"; however the second lady didn't hear this and made a point that I didn't optimize it!!!! :/ (Stupid alert!!)
    2.5 Design Interview: The lady was really helpful and wanted to understand my approach (Seemed pretty rear in Linkedin looking at other interview experiences)
    2.6 Coding round 2: Both the engineers were super cool, one of hard level question I believe(Find k most closest nodes in BST, basically becomes hard when you improve time complexity) and the other one was finding square root of a number can be any number even decimals.

I got the response from my recruiter in 3 days saying they rejected me, because "I Couldn't optimize the code in my first coding round" Duh!!! I sent my recruiter email with all the details and how unprepared the interviewers were and she replied saying nothing can be done now as the decision is already taken however they will make sure it doesn't happen again!! (Looking at the other interviews it doesn't look like they do anything with the feedback)

In Summary: Great recruiter, very prompt and smooth process, but the actual interviews they tend to depend more on your luck (I don't like that!!). If the company improves the interviewers chances of getting right talent is a ton, and overall company really had healthy feeling. But again unprepared, lack of interest from interviewers killed my dream to join linkedin.

Interview Questions

• Nested List sum? (Both regular and reverse)   1 Answer
    • Closest K nodes to a target in BST? (Doit in O(n)?)   1 Answer
    • Square root of a number?   1 Answer
    • Expression operators? Add signs to a string to form target (All 4 signs +, -, *, /)   1 Answer
    • Top trending posts in last 5m, 1H, 1Day?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Gave a phone screen which went very well. The recruiter informed me that LinkedIn would like to invite me for an on-site. My preference was to give the interview in New York as I live here but Recruiter suggested that I give it in Sunnyvale as there were more teams hiring there. I agreed and another recruiter was looped in to help me schedule the on-site.
    The on-site started with the recruiter talking about the culture which basically meant discussing about how great the food was and bad mouthing another social networking company. Finally, I had to intervene and ask him to tell me more about the process and the feedback time. He said that it could take a day or 2 more than their usual 2-3 days of feedback time since it was a long weekend.
    The actual on-site was a standard 5 round process with 2 algorithm & coding rounds, 1 system design round, 1 technical communication round and 1 hiring manager round. My first interview was with the Hiring Manager and I think it went very well as we both liked each other. Second round was the system design round which was conducted by 1 primary interviewer and 1 apprentice or shadow interviewer. The question was very disappointing as I was expecting a question on the lines of SYSTEM DESIGN, scalability, distributed systems, caching etc instead of a critical thinking and abstract problem which can be asked to anyone with a non-software background as well. It seemed that the interviewer had a solution set in his mind and was not at all open to any other solution, this was very demotivating. On top of that, the apprentice and the primary interviewer were not on the same page and were giving conflicting arguments, which was confusing. Overall, I felt I did more than decent despite all the confusion. First of the algorithm rounds went very well, I was given two problems and I was able to code up solutions for both, along with additional optimizations. During this round, the apprentice looked uninterested and was dumbfounded when I asked him a simple question about his experience in LinkedIn. During the second algorithm round which was supposed to focus more on problem-solving, I gave the most efficient solution and was able to code it up in a decent time but I left some corner cases which I later fixed with the help of the interviewers. With only 15 mins left, they asked me a second problem which was tough and had a mathematical solution, I was able to give them the solution but did not have enough time to complete the code. I felt the interview went well because I was able to provide some good optimizations for the 1st problem which the interviewers liked. The second interviewer in this round was late for the interview but was good and was involved in the interview right from the word go. The last interview was on technical communication and was supposed to be taken by 2 people but one of them didn't show up. It went very well and I felt the interviewer really liked me.
    I gave the interview in late may and didn't hear back from them for the next 5 business days(10 days overall). I finally left an e-mail to inquire about the status but still DID NOT hear back from them. As of today, it has been 3 weeks since I visited their office and they haven't been courteous enough to give me the result.
    The interviewers conducting interviews for Senior Engineers like myself are fresh college graduates who don't know what they are really doing there. Overall THEY WASTED MY TIME AND EFFORTS and I am THOROUGHLY DISAPPOINTED at their LACK OF PROFESSIONAL COURTESY!!

Interview Questions

• Design an elevator system in tallest skyscraper of SF.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

HR Phone screen where I talked to the recruiter about my background, nothing special. Then Followed by Phone Technical Interview. Didn't get to pass this one. I regret not asking for more clarification questions about the second problem.

Interview Questions

• 1. You have n doors in a row that are all initially closed. You make n passes by the doors starting with the first door every time. The first time through you visit every door and toggle the door (if the door is closed, you open it, if its open, you close it). the second time you only visit every 2nd door (door #2, #4, #6. third pass you toggle 3rd, 6th, 9th door.
      What state are the doors in after the last pass? which doors are open ?   5 Answers
    • 2.
      /**
      * A tournament tree is a binary tree
      * where the parent is the minimum of the two children.
      * Given a tournament tree find the second minimum value in the tree.
      * A node in the tree will always have 2 or 0 children.
      * Also all leaves will have distinct and unique values.
      * 2
      * / \
      * 2 3
      * / \ | \
      * 4 2 5 3
      * In this given tree the answer is 3.
      class Node {
          this.left = left;
          this.right = right;
      class Solution {
        /**
        * This should return the second minimum
        * int value in the given tournament tree
         public static Integer secondMin(Node root) {

}   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

2 easy/medium problems from Leetcode during phonescreen.

Algo/design/behavioral questions furing onsite.

My main issue with the interview process is similar to what you may see below here on Glassdoor, I am even going to quote:

<quote>I addressed every potential weakness of my design they brought up (which they didn't let me finish saying what's in my mind in the first place)</quote>, important part being constantly talking and giving me no chance to even say anything, or finishing my thoughts like I couldn't finish them myself. It was also a design question, I wonder it we met the same interviewer. It just killed the process for me.

I generally don't mix levels and years of service and have no issues with Senior Engineers having 2-4 years of work experience, but some things form a pattern and I tend to agree with the rest of commenters that titles at LinkedIn are inflated much.

Interview Questions

• 2 algorithmic problems for phone screen from Leetcode.
      Algo/design questions during onsite.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First, a 1-hour phone screen that focused on my resume and system questions, followed by a short coding question using a collabedit. The interviewer pointed out a small mistake I made in the coding question, and let me fix it (was a stupid one). He was very nice and easy to understand.

Then we proceed to an on-site interview. 6 rounds, 1 hour each. One round on communication, two rounds on system design, one round with hiring manager, one round on coding, and one hour of lunch.

I had 2 interviewers scheduled for 4 out of the 6 rounds, but one of the interviewers did not bother to show up.

Based on the feedback from the recruiter, I feel like the system design questions are more about a mind-reading exercise than assessing my analytical skills. One of my system design interview was with two - I think - not very experienced interviewers, and perhaps I gave them an answer that's not what they expected. I addressed every potential weakness of my design they brought up (which they didn't let me finish saying what's in my mind in the first place), and from the recruiter's feedback now I understand they weren't happy about my answers, because it's not exactly the one they had in mind. They said I had "challenges" in those interviews, which I respectfully disagree.

I understand some questions are designed to be vague and expect me as a candidate to ask clarification questions, but the interviewers decided to stay abstract. So I can only answer in very general terms.

LinkedIn needs more experienced interviewers to assess a candidate's skill. Since most of my interviews had two interviewers anyway, you might as well assign one experienced and one not-so-experienced interviewers at the same interview.

Interview Questions

• I respect the NDA I signed with them and hence unable to provide more details   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Two onsite screens. Doing the screens onsite is better than over the phone if you like whiteboards. The interviewers were friendly. Both times, there was one interviewer and one shadow interviewer (who was a new hire).

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

Not much to it. Very unresponsive recruiter, who EVENTUALLY got my interview scheduled.
    I was supposed to be interviewed by a Sr Engineer, who was shadowed by a Jr Dev, but the Jr Engineer was the only one who showed up to the call.
    His interviewing was pretty dry, and not much for conversation.

Interview Questions

• Given a nested list of integers, returns the sum of all integers in the list weighted by their depth
       given the list {{1,1},2,{1,1}} the function should return 10 (four 1's at depth 2, one 2 at depth 1)   3 Answers