LinkedIn Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

LinkedIn Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

HR Phone screen where I talked to the recruiter about my background, nothing special. Then Followed by Phone Technical Interview. Didn't get to pass this one. I regret not asking for more clarification questions about the second problem.

Interview Questions

• 1. You have n doors in a row that are all initially closed. You make n passes by the doors starting with the first door every time. The first time through you visit every door and toggle the door (if the door is closed, you open it, if its open, you close it). the second time you only visit every 2nd door (door #2, #4, #6. third pass you toggle 3rd, 6th, 9th door.
    What state are the doors in after the last pass? which doors are open ?
    3 Answers
  • 2.
    /**
    * A tournament tree is a binary tree
    * where the parent is the minimum of the two children.
    * Given a tournament tree find the second minimum value in the tree.
    * A node in the tree will always have 2 or 0 children.
    * Also all leaves will have distinct and unique values.
    * 2
    * / \
    * 2 3
    * / \ | \
    * 4 2 5 3
    * In this given tree the answer is 3.
    class Node {
        this.left = left;
        this.right = right;
    class Solution {
      /**
      * This should return the second minimum
      * int value in the given tournament tree
       public static Integer secondMin(Node root) {

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

2 easy/medium problems from Leetcode during phonescreen.

Algo/design/behavioral questions furing onsite.

My main issue with the interview process is similar to what you may see below here on Glassdoor, I am even going to quote:

<quote>I addressed every potential weakness of my design they brought up (which they didn't let me finish saying what's in my mind in the first place)</quote>, important part being constantly talking and giving me no chance to even say anything, or finishing my thoughts like I couldn't finish them myself. It was also a design question, I wonder it we met the same interviewer. It just killed the process for me.

I generally don't mix levels and years of service and have no issues with Senior Engineers having 2-4 years of work experience, but some things form a pattern and I tend to agree with the rest of commenters that titles at LinkedIn are inflated much.

Interview Questions

• 2 algorithmic problems for phone screen from Leetcode.
      Algo/design questions during onsite.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First, a 1-hour phone screen that focused on my resume and system questions, followed by a short coding question using a collabedit. The interviewer pointed out a small mistake I made in the coding question, and let me fix it (was a stupid one). He was very nice and easy to understand.

Then we proceed to an on-site interview. 6 rounds, 1 hour each. One round on communication, two rounds on system design, one round with hiring manager, one round on coding, and one hour of lunch.

I had 2 interviewers scheduled for 4 out of the 6 rounds, but one of the interviewers did not bother to show up.

Based on the feedback from the recruiter, I feel like the system design questions are more about a mind-reading exercise than assessing my analytical skills. One of my system design interview was with two - I think - not very experienced interviewers, and perhaps I gave them an answer that's not what they expected. I addressed every potential weakness of my design they brought up (which they didn't let me finish saying what's in my mind in the first place), and from the recruiter's feedback now I understand they weren't happy about my answers, because it's not exactly the one they had in mind. They said I had "challenges" in those interviews, which I respectfully disagree.

I understand some questions are designed to be vague and expect me as a candidate to ask clarification questions, but the interviewers decided to stay abstract. So I can only answer in very general terms.

LinkedIn needs more experienced interviewers to assess a candidate's skill. Since most of my interviews had two interviewers anyway, you might as well assign one experienced and one not-so-experienced interviewers at the same interview.

Interview Questions

• I respect the NDA I signed with them and hence unable to provide more details   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

Not much to it. Very unresponsive recruiter, who EVENTUALLY got my interview scheduled.
    I was supposed to be interviewed by a Sr Engineer, who was shadowed by a Jr Dev, but the Jr Engineer was the only one who showed up to the call.
    His interviewing was pretty dry, and not much for conversation.

Interview Questions

• Given a nested list of integers, returns the sum of all integers in the list weighted by their depth
       given the list {{1,1},2,{1,1}} the function should return 10 (four 1's at depth 2, one 2 at depth 1)
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Worst interview process in the valley. Junior engineers take interviews of the senior candidate. They have certain solution of a problem in mind and if you don't solve it that way, you are gone. Basically align with their thought process.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

1-hr phone screen. I had a hard time hearing and understanding the interviewer. The shared code editor didn't update in a timely manner which got us off to a really bad start... Ultimately I misunderstood question until it was too late. Failed to get past screen.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Got contacted by a LinkedIn recruiter. After that two phone screens followed. Because I'm local, I asked if the 45 minute phone screens could be done on-site and they agreed. After that I was invited to the on-site interview. I do agree with the other reviewers that the interviewers are young and inexperienced. And they expect you to solve the problem in the most optimal way, but most importantly, it should be the way that they already know. Yes it's a bit annoying, but that's what challenging interviews are supposed to be. So my advice is to quit complaining, study/memorize/reinvent solutions to as many problems as you can, go to the interview, understand what the interviewer is exactly looking from you and give them the solution they want. Bottom line is, make those guys happy, get the job and make yourself happy too. I didn't get an offer, but I'll definitely consider another interview with LinkedIn in the future. It's a great company with unique culture.

Interview Questions

• There's no point in writing here what I was asked. Leetcode, HackerRank, Topcoder are provide great resources and tools. Go on those sites and study.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at LinkedIn in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview
    For the problem given to me, two approaches were possible, recursive and iterative solution.

The interviewer had the recursive solution clearly memorized. I gave the iterative solution.

Second question was straight forward. I wrote the code covering all boundary condition and edge cases. I wrote comments for my code and explained each line and why I am taking the approach I took.
    Very disappointing. Had respect for LinkedIn as a company. Not any more. This seems to be the trend for all linkedin interviews. If you code what they have in mind, you are through.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

applied online. got contacted by recruiter. followed by phone interview - got rejected here. The recruiter was very nice and responsive. But I was not happy with the interviewer - felt like it he was trying to pick on me for me reason. It was a shock that I got rejected because apparently coding was not up to par (all other big companies seem to be happy with me coding tough!)
    I think they need better interviewers than just asking any random junior guy to interview

Interview Questions

• questions from leetcode-
      reverse polish notation
      find maximum depth of binary tree

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in October 2016.

Interview

Approached by a recruiter lady and she was quick to put me into a phone screen. I had first phone conversation with 2 engineers. They were both young and inexperienced. I did my best but , interviewers were not really fit (they called me late, they didn't really understand the technical differences between basic data structures etc). Also they tried to ask two question, after calling in late and spending some time with resume, and trying to get a specific answer in their mind, but one of the question was an open ended design question, there is no single answer.

The next business day recruiter lady called me and told 'Hiring committee realized my interview was not conducted properly and LinkedIn would like to fix it'. LinkedIn wanted to renew the phone screening. I was not sure after first bad experience, but then I changed my mind and wanted to explore.

Next next day, recruiter seems to have changed her mind, once again, she sent me an email with asking "do I really want this second phone screen, since I have offers from other companies like Amazon, FB.

For some reason, among all other companies LinkedIn was the worst of all. Their so-called senior engineers have a few years industry experience, recruiter keep having second thoughts. At least my experience was consistently bad.

Luckily coming from Microsoft, going to another big competitor, LinkedIn didn't put a dent in my career, and I am appalled by level of unprofessional-ism.