LinkedIn Site Reliability Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

LinkedIn Site Reliability Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at LinkedIn

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Interview

First phone "interview" with recruiter was behavioral, and then the recruiter let me know what would come next (in detail). Did one in-person Python scripting interview, followed by 2 phone technical interviews about SRE concepts.

Interview Questions

• Write a Python script to do some analysis of some debug logs   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn (New York, NY) in March 2019.

Interview

Contacted me about the job, only to tell me they would not consider interviewing me, despite qualifications, because I didn't have a bachelor's degree or 12 years of experience (not even a senior position). When I asked whether that was a strict requirement, they said the H-1B requirements won't let them hire people without a degree, even though I'm a US citizen. Thoroughly negative experience and the recruiters answers were not helpful or informative. If true, this needs to be more discussed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA) in March 2019.

Interview

Interview Scheduling:

Recruiter reached out via LinkedIn. We exchanged a couple of emails. Cleared first basic mcq phone call round. I provided my availability for phone screen. Recruiter did not respond for a couple of days and after that the recruiter said she could not “locate” my email. That was the first red flag. The recruiter did not took my seriously it seems then why reach out in the first place. Weird!

Interview Overview:

I wrote optimal code for all the problems. After the interview, recruiter called me and told me the feedback saying that I was not supposed to write optimal code and they were expecting simple naive solution. This is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard in my life. I have never seen interviewer asking for naive solution over optimized solution.

Overall Experience:

For each problem, I explained naive solution and then wrote optimal solution. The interviewer seemed very in-experienced and naive. I observed that the interviewer kept doing mute/unmute and was not communicative. I somehow feel he was not interested in understanding what I was explaining to him. At every step, I explained the interviewer why I was doing that. My goal was to write optimized and scalable solution (which I did) and not simple unoptimized solution. I made that clear in every problem while discussing my thought process. Don’t waste your time interviewing for SRE role at LinkedIn. Not worth it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Jose, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

Got the email from the HR for initial HR round . Unexpectedly the HR asked me some technical questions on linux commands and Data structure . At the end of the phone call ,He replied me that ,he is going to schedule the second round of telephonic interview . The second round is technical phone round (1 hour) and need to code on coder pad . The interviewer asked me two questions . First one is very straight forward and the second one on recursion . After the interview did not get any reply more than 2 week . Then sent email to HR regarding the feed back . Looks like they completely forget. HR called me directly and said that they are not proceeding further with me .

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn in February 2019.

Interview

My interview process started with a recruiter call who asked a few easy technical q&a at the end of the call (linux commands like ls, kill, TCP/IP protocol, etc). I got an invite to a coding phone screen with SRE team.

Interview Questions

• Coding phone round had same old questions mentioned in the reviews by others. I thought I did well, but unfortunately I haven't made it to next round.

1. Fizz Buzz
      2. recursive requests to Directory API (url)
      3. Parsing var/log/ file to identify a particular date pattern and count the number of messages logged in that time frame.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in September 2018.

Interview

I got contacted by a recruiter. It was the worse phone interview i have ever had. My interviewer showed no interest of what i was saying or doing. Either he was new working there, of he has bad day.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in January 2018.

Interview

This was for an internship.
    1 HR round, 1 coding round, 2 design/conceptual knowledge rounds.

I wont tell the exact questions. But here are some tips,

The hr round had some technical questions (short, pop-quiz type) on linux and networks.

The coding round is easy. 5 questions. One had to be done by recursion, others were on text processing. It was on coderpad.io. You can use any language you want to code.

2 conceptual/design interviews. Many questions on systems knowledge ( networks, OS, linux, ssl, etc). To prepare: read the networks: top down approach book. For linux, do unix and linux sys admins handbook. For system design, google "system design primer". Its a github link.

That was it. No on-site (for interns).

Interview Questions

• Describe what happens when you do "curl".   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

A couple of qualifying interviews with recruiters, a remote programming interview, a systems interview. Was invited on site for 6 interviews. The process was like none before, extremely organized, onsite was professional and on time. Interviewers making sure I was at ease, hit on the questions pretty hard with vigorous follow ups. It was very good.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn in November 2016.

Interview

Began with an online application, then a "chat" with a recruiter. In this talk, they ask you some questions (without letting you know they quiz you beforehand) and just judge your personality. From there you set up an over-the-phone coding interview. After that there are a series of phone interviews regarding Site Reliability engineering topics such as Linux command execution, certain protocols, and how to debug a problem in a network. After these 2-3 interviews, you will get your decision.

My only gripe with the process is how long it took for an internship. There were large delays in response from the recruiters; however they were very kind.

Interview Questions

• What kind of IP addresses are these *lists recognizable ones*   Answer Question
    • Parse a log file based on the interviewer's choice (String format is huge)   Answer Question
    • *Interviewer describes the full stack setup of a web app*, Please list the benefits and disadvantages of this setup. And if you could, how would you improve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

2 phone interviews, one involving online coding. 1 full-day in person interview. All 1-hour 1-on-1 sessions with questions about different aspects of IT, including live coding and code review.
    Very impressive interview process. I almost took the job because the company seemed so put together.

Interview Questions

• 1. Review poorly written code and point out the places where it would fail.
      2. Some things about scaling IT infrastructure.   3 Answers