Find jobs for User Experience Design

LinkedIn User Experience Design Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2020

To filter interviews, or .
Found 10 of over 2.0K interviews

Campus Recruiting11%
3.4
HardAverageEasy

LinkedIn

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in Feb 2020

Interview

It was pretty intense. It was 4 rounds - started with a recruiter phone call lasting 30 mins, then 2 back to back 45 minute interviews with designers, then a one week design exercise, than a full day onsite with a 1 hour presentation and 4 1-1s with designers. While it was a pretty meaty process, I really enjoyed it! Every person I talked to during the process was super friendly and all my interviews really felt like conversations rather than 'interviews'. It was my favorite interview experience I've had with a company. They really want to get a sense of who you are, both as a person and as a designer. You should be able to articulate your end to end design process, how your designs add value, and defend all your design decisions.

Interview Questions
  • - Why do you want to work at LinkedIn? - Why you transition to UX design? - Mostly questions about my design exercise / portfolio project.
    1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA) in Apr 2019

Interview

The interview process was in 4 stages: an initial portfolio review, two 1-on-1 design interviews, a 5-day takehome design exercise, and a final onsite that consisted of a presentation and several 1-on-1 interviews.

Interview Questions
  • It was a heavy design-centered process, meaning I was only interviewed by designers. I was asked everything from how I conduct my end-to-end process, how I've worked cross-functionally with teams and answered several questions to defend my design exercise in the final onsite presentation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in Jan 2019

Interview

The process was pretty long. The onsite interview took about 7 hrs. The overall hiring process was pretty fast though. LinkedIn recruiter reached out to me (1st stage) and asked me to drop by during their on-campus talk. Then, I did a quick walkthrough of one of my projects and the recruiter scheduled me for an interview (2nd stage) the next day. I talked with the senior recruiter and I received an email a week later about a design challenge (3rd stage). Gave me 1 week to finish the challenge. Took 1 week to get a response. They flew me out to their Sunnyvale HQ for the final onsite interview.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in Nov 2016

Interview

1. HR phone call 2. 2 phone call interviews with designers 3. design challenge 4. onsite presentation to a group then individual 4 one hour session with each managers. HR department is responsive, professional, provides feedback and guidance the whole entire time. Its a pretty standard silicon valley process. It does lack the visibility to what the role you are applying for which in turn brings lack of motivation and excitement on what you will be working on. Although you are talking to Humans it feels very generic and the interview process is analysis of your skill set and design but there is no part in the process where they are selling you why you should work for Linkedin. I found the designers to be stuck in their own bubble based on how they work and talk about their process. It doesn't feel grounded on analytics or driven by human perspective.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work at Linkedin
5 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in Nov 2016

Interview

1) 20 minute portfolio review with a designer 2) Week long design exercise 3) Onsite Interview 3.A) Hour long presentation 3.B) 45 minute 1:1 interviews with five more designers

Interview Questions
  • How would you design a 1000 story building so that people can efficiently get out of the building during rush hours(lunch hours).
  • What did you take away from publishing a paper this summer?
  • Why do you want to design/intern at LinkedIn?
  • What do you think your friends think about yourself?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Pittsburgh, PA) in Mar 2016

Interview

1.Initial portfolio and elevator pitch to recruiters at career fair 2.Interview the next day with two recruiters 3.Receive email about design challenge, given a week to complete 4.Completed design challenge, and received call about not continuing with my application Just be prepared to answer questions about your portfolio and your design thinking. And when doing the design challenge focus on the visuals, they do not care about the user flow(if you ever used linkedin, why they don't care about user flow is pretty obvious). Pretty UI>Systems Thinking

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

LinkedIn

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn in Jan 2016

Interview

One year earlier, I applied for intern position, got interview opportunity from a very nice recruiter, end in 4th round. That was a good experience though I did not got an offer. That recruiter left last year. This year, with 2 more internship experience in big names, I apply again, using the same portfolio with several more projects on it. However, I did not even get a first round of interview. It feels that they don't bother to talk to a candidate, they want to see all the NDA project online but not in interview, they also prefer template instead of hand-coded portfolio because they expect your portfolio works perfectly without any bugs. They also hate gif because it's fuzzy, if it's gif, it need to be 15mb so they can see it clearly because they don't have time look at your prototype. If you don't have a perfect portfolio with fantastic user experience, it means that you are a bad designer that don't worthy them spending time talking to you to know your soft skills and design process. It makes me feel that LinkedIn is the only company in the universe and the other 2 big names must be idiot to hire me.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

LinkedIn

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at LinkedIn in Oct 2015

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me. I responded, but didn't hear back. After a few days, I reached out to the recruiter again. She apologized because she had "missed" my original email. Anyway, we set up a time to chat. The conversation was more in-depth than typical recruiter calls. There were a couple of times where she asked me a question that I had already answered within the conversation. She clearly wasn't listening. Also got the impression that she didn't know very much about design. She was very disconnected. The turn-off for me was that there were many parts of our conversation where she was literally reading from a script. It was obvious . . . and strange. She contacted me the following day to tell me that I wasn't going to move forward in the process. Overall, it felt like a very poor recruiting experience. She was clearly incompetent as a recruiter. I'm excellent at what I do, having 10+ years of experience, and she blew it. I'm happy that it didn't work out. LinkedIn was the worst recruiting experience that I've ever had!

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in Mar 2015

Interview

Overall, it was a good experience for me, as it was my first interview in Silicon Valley. Everyone was very smart and helpful along the way. I initially had a recruiter reach out to me via LinkedIn, a surreal experience for sure. I spent an hour chatting with my recruiter about the position and LinkedIn. I expressed some concern over relocation and she was wonderful explaining relocation and how they eased that pain. There was a lull, as it was around the holidays, but we ended up scheduling a two 45-minute phone interviews. They both called on time and we went through my portfolio, as well as some general questions about my design process. They each talked about different things, which was great. I was asked to come on-site, and again I was hesitant about wasting time if I wasn't able to move. My recruiter actually put me in touch with another designer who moved from my home state, and we ended up talking for an hour. The extra effort was great and convinced me I wanted to do the on-site. During this time, my recruiter quit and I was passed on to a new one. That transition went smoothly as it could. I was given a week to complete a design exercise. I spent 8-10 hours on it and in retrospect, should have done more. After some travel delays, I made it out to Mountain View for the interview. I was greeted after signing in and was given a very quick tour. I was then set up in a room to give an hour long presentation about myself, my work, and the design exercise. There were about 15-20 people in the room, along with some remote folks. There were a lot of questions back and forth. I knew they had time to prepare their thoughts about where my design exercise failed, wish I'd been prepared too! Then we went directly into a more casual lunch 1-on-1. I wanted more time with this, as I was really getting to learn more about the everyday life as a designer at LinkedIn. I was then in a room for four back to back 45 minute interviews with senior designers from different departments. It was a mixed bag, as some I felt more comfortable with than others. The first interview was via a video conference, while the other 3 were in person. We spent a lot of time going over my design exercise. Every person used the whole 45 minutes and by the last interviewer, I was pretty exhausted. About a week passed, and I was given a phone call that I didn't have enough experience for what they were looking for. I appreciated the phone call and feedback. They said to stay in touch and reach out in 6 months-year, which I found encouraging.

Interview Questions
  • What would be the next feature you would add if you had the time?
7 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in Nov 2014

Interview

1. A recruiter contacted me asking if I'd be interested in discussing opportunities. 2. Phone Screen with recruiter 3. Follow up call + emails setting up 2 phone interviews with design directors I'd be reporting to (Hiring Managers) 4. 2x45 min Portfolio reviews + phone interviews with design directors 5. Follow up call + emails with invitation for on site visit & take home design exercise instructions. 6. On site interview visit, which included: a. One hour presentation about myself as a designer & human, including presenting my solution to the take-home design design homework - to an open -invitation interview panel, followed by questions. b. 4x45 min 1-on-1 interviews with design managers from different teams. 7. Offer. NOTE: Every step of the way, LinkedIn recruiters erred on the side of over-communicating every detail, from providing links to the profiles of the people I'd be interviewing with to connecting me with a "mentor" to discuss my project with. They were also very responsive and figured out how to rapidly schedule calls inside of my schedule. In the end, the well-orchestrated interview process is what tipped the scales to LinkedIn over other options on the table, including Google, Intuit, and Facebook.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about your portfolio. Pick a project and walk me through your process.
11 people found this interview helpful