Location Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Location Labs Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Location Labs in May 2017.

Interview

I was asked 2 techincal questions. For the first questoin, eventhough my data structure choice was better than the one in interviewer's mind, he wanted me to implement in his style. After implementing his style, I told him the drawbacks of his approach. He told me a work around for those negative sides, which did not sound like a good design.

For the algorithms question, I answered his question with a very fast algorithm quickly. He came up with a possible negative side of my algorithm. I revised my approach and solve that problem as well, but this time he was like he wanted me to come up with his algorithm. What he told me was "my algorithm has a worse time complexity but it is more robust". After all, he just said the name of a general algorithm. I asked him to show me how he can apply it to this problem but he didn't even bother and said thanks for your participation.

I don't think they are reading or considering feedbacks about their interviews. I am not upset about not working with them. I interviewed with tens of tech companies including top ones and I can clearly say that it was the worst one.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Location Labs (Emeryville, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by an in-house recruiter by phone and asked a few qualifying questions. He told me he would speak with the hiring manager and get back to me. He sent an email back quickly saying he wanted to schedule a phone interview for me with the hiring manager.

When it came time for the interview. Nobody called me. I tried to contact both the hiring manager and the recruiter, but I couldn't reach either one. I had no idea if there was a scheduling issue or something else since I hadn't received any updates from the company.

The next day the recruiter called and left a message saying they were reconsidering the description of the role and wouldn't be proceeding with me. They had a meeting where they had made that determination one business day before my interview; they didn't bother contacting me until a day after the scheduled interview.

While I understand that job requirements change, it is disrespectful to leave a candidate hanging when he or she has taken time out of their own busy schedule to make space to talk to a company. How hard would it have been for the recruiter to send me an email the night before saying they weren't going to be moving forward? It struck me that this is a company that either is very sloppy at managing their recruiting pipeline, or they simply don't value their candidates' (and, ostensibly, employees'), time. I feel like I probably dodged a bullet on this one, as the professionalism of a company's recruiting process reflects pretty accurately on what it's like to actually work there.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with Agile development environments?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Location Labs in March 2017.

Interview

Typical 30 minute phone screen. Some basic JavaScript questions you can google on the web. 2nd interview: a paired coding review. The interviewer asked some basic questions to warm you up then you log onto a HackerRank together. I hate coding in front of others and I froze. I was able to say how I wold solve the problem, I knew the solution, but I was so nervous my mind went blank for the majority of the interview. The interviewer tried to help me and was kind, but it was probably the worst interview experience of my life.

Interview Questions

• The phone screen questions were types of variables, difference between undefined and null, what is NaN. Basic Javascript 101questions. The coding challenge was create a dictionary and two functions to get the longest (and shortest?) phone calls from the array. Basic design stuff.   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Location Labs (Emeryville, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I can definitively see why the interview rating is low here. I was asked to come in for a three hour interview after only one short phone screening, which should have been the first red flag. The recruiter was sloppy and didn't even have the decency to take the 35 seconds it would have taken him to tell me I was not selected after spending half my day there.
    My advice is don't waste your time with a company that doesn't value yours.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Location Labs (Emeryville, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and she gave me a basic phone screen with some technical questions. These questions can be found if you Google search, "Front End Developer interview questions". She emailed me the next day to schedule a time to do a phone interview with an engineer. I reached out to her 3 times within a 3 week span until the recruiter finally responded with a date/time for an interview. It was a little off-putting that she did not recognize her late response.

When it came to the phone interview, the engineer who was 10 minutes late. The engineer apologized. We did a challenge over HackerRank. Then he proceeded to give me another HackerRank question, but instead of any coding, he wanted me to explain my thought process to tackle it. I thought the engineer was easy to talk to.

I got an email from a different different recruiter saying they would not move forward with me. She also said if I had any questions to feel free and reach out. I asked her what I could have done to be a better candidate. And unsurprisingly, I never received a response.

After all this, I feel like if their HR was telling of how their company ran, I am glad I did not move forward.

Interview Questions

• Basic JavaScript questions for phone screen with recruiter, and 2 HackerRank questions with technical phone interview with engineer   Answer Question

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Location Labs.

Interview

I applied online through college portal and their careers page. After a month, they asked me to schedule a technical phone call which would last for an hour. After scheduling the call, they mailed saying sorry, we proceeded with your application by mistake and cancelled the process.

Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Location Labs (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewer was nice and helping. He asked me one coding question. Question was easy and interviewer was also helping me to get the answer. Question was on Heap. Interviewer was sometimes confused to answer some of my questions.

Entry Level SE Interview

Interview

Online assessment, two rounds phone interview, two rounds Skype onsite.

Went well, until the first round Skype onsite, asking me to design something, totally a talking question. Then the second Skype call told me the interview process is terminated.

It just doesn't make sense. Saying "come next time with more experience", oh there is no reason I would come next time.

The recruiters are nice, only positive impression.

Human Resources Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Location Labs (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

I went through a phone screening, did a 'homework assignment', had a 3 hour interview, and they didn't even have the courtesy to send me an email saying they went with another candidate...

The team was great to talk to during the interview, but allowing a candidate to allocate that much time to the interview process and then not even sending a quick 'no thank you' email is very unprofessional.

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Location Labs (Emeryville, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

There was an HR phone screen which mainly consisted of the HR person touting the virtues of LL. I was specifically told that if I got through the tech phone screen and the onsite interview went well, that I'd be given an offer at the end of the onsite. I thought this was odd, but it beats waiting around to hear whether an offer would be made.

The tech phone screen featured online coding in a shared editor + a verbal algorithmic problem. There were technical glitches and the person running the tech interview was very rushed, but I passed. Oddly, the algorithm in the phone screen was way, way harder than the in person algorithm I was given later where I had more time to work my way through the problem.

I was then brought in for a half day interview on site. The first interview involved a top to bottom (app design/implementation all the way to API design/implementation) discussion of basically everything involved in being a well-rounded software developer - that is understanding how to communicate, design, build, apprehend customer needs, etc. I was happily surprised by this approach as it is rare in engineering interviews.

The 2nd interview was a group - two very young, very fresh engineers. I think this is where I failed. One of the engineers mainly asked me cultural questions and didn't seem that concerned about my answers or anything in particular. The other, whose English and pronunciation were very poor (couldn't understand half his questions and constantly had to ask him to repeat), was on the team I'd be hired for. Instead of gauging me on my competence, he asked a long series of closed-ended questions specifically about iOS. As I said, it was difficult speaking with him and I felt like my answers were equally not well understood.

The 3rd interview was algorithms. As I said above, way easier than the phone screen.

The 4th interview was with the director of engineering, mostly high level discussion of products, teams, what I'd be working on, the future, present and past of LL.

After that the HR person came in and said they really wanted me to speak with the CEO and would I be willing to wait. I said sure, but after about 30 - 40 minutes, the CEO was not to be found and I was sent home. The HR person and the director of engineering gave me the impression that the team was in favor of hiring me, but I realize part of that feeling may have been based on the initial HR phone screen where I was told to expect to meet the CEO and get the offer on the spot if things went well. The HR person kept telling me how well things were going, after every session and especially at the end, which also to me felt like she'd rounded up everybody and gotten the thumbs up.

The following week I was told my iOS skills were lacking, which is odd to me. I have two apps under my belt, several years of experience and have been the lead iOS developer on one iOS project. I figure they found another applicant in the meantime.

The overarching theme of the onsite was the core values of LL. Every interviewer stressed them, looked for resonance with them in the things I said and seemed to take them to heart. In all the reading I did prior to the interview, I was lead to understand the company culture valued well-rounded software engineers, people who could communicate as well as code, think outside the box as well as have decent programming chops, people who would be able to do many things, have disparate experiences to bring to the table, people who would grow on the job, not just show up with a set of skills and knock out work. And while I felt like that's how some of my interviewers acted, the overall experience was pretty negative.

My words to LL: Please set the expectations of your interviewees better and perhaps spend a little more time considering your core values better.