Long Island Rail Road Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Long Island Rail Road Interview Questions

3.1

Assistant Signalman/Communications Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Long Island Rail Road (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online about a month before a call. I was then given a choice of one of two dates to go in for a test. Upon going in for the test, about 35 of us sat down in the room, where we received information about the potential jobs we were testing on. Afterwards, we recieved a two part (50 questions each part total 100 questions) test on electronics and radio frequencies, which were graded separately. 35 of us went in, about 10 of us got interviews an hour or so after that 2 hour test. After the interview we set up to go back to another facility for a practical. About one week later, i went in for my pratical. This was a few days ago. Waiting on their call currently

Interview Questions

• If a coworker is doing something unsafe, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you for this position?   Answer Question
    • Give us an example of a time you showed initiative on a task given to you   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Long Island Rail Road.

Interview

1)Preliminary phone screening with HR rep.
    2) interview with HR rep. and hiring manager.

Everyone was nice, was able to make hiring manager crack a couple of smiles which is an A+ because, she looks like she doesn't take any b.s

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It's temporary for the summer. Have to submit certified proof. Such as transcript and school registration

Summer Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Long Island Rail Road (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Submitted application via their website in April then I received an email a few weeks later inviting me to their open house which took place during the first week of May. Business formal is required for the interview at the open house. When I arrived, there were about 50 to 60 other candidates. A security guard checks you in and then everyone sat in a small waiting room after being checked in by HR. The HR staff make a short introduction about the company and the internships and then they explain the process of the interviews. We were then led out to a larger waiting area where we were called individually back into the previous room where multiple hiring managers had set up.

The interview itself was pretty straightforward, the hiring manager that interviewed me went through a pro-forma list of questions and then asked a few other questions. The manager was engaging and friendly and made the experience a positive one.

Overall the staff was extremely friendly and professional. It was a great experience.

After about a week or two I received an email asking me to complete a background check via a 3rd party. Then approximately a week after that I received a phone call asking to complete a drug screening at their facility. Then after about another week I received a verbal offer. Then another week passed and a written offer was emailed to me.

Just keep in mind the whole process from application to hire took almost three months, just be patient! And make sure you are as professional as possible throughout the whole process!

I am very excited about this opportunity, and look forward to beginning my internship with the LIRR! They appear to be a great organization.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiations were not possible as your pay rate is determined solely on your your status in college, e.g. Freshman, Sophomore, etc.

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Long Island Rail Road in May 2015.

Interview

must pass entrance exam to be given an interview. Exam consist of a vocabulary exam and cognitive exam. Both exams are timed. If you do well on your interview you will be placed into Phase 1 of the interview process. Here candidates will be tested. Those candidates you successfully pass each exam will them be moved to proceed to Phase 2.

Interview Questions

• What do your know about LIRR?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Long Island Rail Road (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

They had an open house where all of the applicants were invited into the office. They gave us some information about the Railroad and I interviewed with two different people (from two different departments).

Legal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Long Island Rail Road (Jamaica, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I met with two attorneys in the office and they asked me questions about my resume and interests. It was about 30 minutes long. It was easy to get to and find. Be prepared to leave your drivers license at the front desk.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      What do you know about LIRR?
      Do you like research and writing?   Answer Question

Project Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Long Island Rail Road (Jamaica, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and 6 months later they called me for an interview. It was 2 weeks from the time they contacted me until the interview date. It was pretty straight forward. They asked technical questions related to the job description. Nothing too challenging. Seems like it is very competitive until you get your foot in the door.

Interview Questions

• First question was "What is your ultimate career goal?"   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Long Island Rail Road (Jamaica, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied three months ago than got the interview. The interview process is held by one HR and two supervisors. The process is set up by two part. One is behavior question and the other is technical part.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Long Island Rail Road (Jamaica, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied for Junior Network Engineer in February I received a call to participate in a phone screening sometime in March. After screening I was invited to interview - part 1 of the interview was a A+ / N+ related written test. If you passed the written test you were moved to 1 on 1 interview. After the interview you were required to drug test. Two days after I passed the drug test I was hired!

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Long Island Rail Road (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

By policy LIRR writes down as much as possible during the interview, which can throw off someone who is unprepared for this. Typically an interview is conducted with 2 people or more asking questions which fall into different categories (leadership, computer skills, etc). There may or may not be a skills/technical quiz prior to the main interview depending on whether the job requires it (i.e. technical position, project coordinator, etc).

Interview Questions

• As a candidate why should we choose you rather then someone else who applied for this position.   Answer Question