Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging

Recruiting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longview, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging (Longview, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

Longview has an excellent pair of recruiters who do a wonderful job of profiling the company and opportunity. Unfortunately, when finally flying in for finalist interviews, my candidate experience on a scale of 10 being highest and 1 being lowest would have to be graded as a negative 5. The most senior executive started by explaining that they have not hired the person who would have been my boss. Therefore, I would not be meeting them at my in person interview. After nearly five hours of phone and videoconference interviews in advance of flying in, you would have thought that "truth in advertising" factoid might have been mentioned in advance of the flight. Second, the senior managers had the good fortune of being with the company for 19 and 23 years respectively. Their first in person question expressed their disdain (and exhibited extreme arrogance) over the fact that I had not been blessed with similar longevity in the high tech organizations I came from. When I explained some of the economic downsizing and business changes that led to my leaving companies I invested my heart and soul into, the senior leader laughed at me and joked by saying "we wouldn't want that to happen here." The level of his insensitivity was absolutely appalling to me. Out of courtesy, I stayed the course for the entire interview though my heart knew that this company could never be an employer of choice for me. The same senior statesmen seemed antagonistic to social media recruiting, yet they complained about not having more and better candidates. He refused to provide me with a business card or email when requesting his contact information to send him a thank you card. (So instead, GlassDoor will have to suffice.)

In the second interview with business customers the recruiting team was charged with investing in their success, the level of pain over having many positions unfilled over the course of 18 months was evident. Though there were some truly inspirational managers in the room, two walked out midway in the interview. When being asked about what I might bring to the organization that would increase candidate flow and quality, their most senior marketing manager complained that my suggested menu of items for consideration would take time and cost money. At one point in the interview, he interrupted me mid sentence to chat with his peers. His overt rudeness, in conjunction with the first panel interview left me smiling since life is short and my goal is to be in the best place for my career to grow.

In the third panel interview, I met the rest of the HR and recruiting team. They were pleasant, positive, polite, appropriate, intelligent, passionate, creative, out-of-the-box thinkers, truly service oriented, and delightfully engaging. They were truly some of the best I have seen in my 20 years within this profession.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging (Longview, WA) in May 2011.

Interview

I was offered the position after one interview with two individuals.

Interview Questions

• Describe your approach to project management or introducing a new process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate salary.

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longview, WA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging (Longview, WA) in December 2009.

Interview

Strictly Behavior Interview questions. HR Manager only initial interview. Second Interview on site with 4 managers of various levels above that being considered.

Interview Questions

• How did you improve a process?   1 Answer

Purchasing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging in September 2009.

Interview

The people at Longview were very nice and easy to interview with.
    The company is being re-stuctured and they relly did not have a clear vision of what the needed to fill the role they were interviewing for.
    Feedback after the interview process was very limitied.
    It is an "industrial" site anyone not familiar with a mill working enviornment should be prepared.
    They have a great compensation package and average health benifits

Interview Questions

• I was asked about what research companies / sites I had used in the past.   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging in April 2012.

Interview

Well, first of all, I'll never apply or waste my time with this company again. It's a complete run around.... I applied for a Sales Rep position online and after a few weeks, received an email stating that I would be contacted shortly regarding the position and that I was being considered. After another 2-3 weeks, I received a phone call from the recruiter at Longview. He went over the position and a little of my background and said I would be receiving a call from the local hiring manager shortly. Another week or so went by and I received another call from HR, setting up a phone interview with the hiring manager in the next few days. The hiring mgr called and asked me about my background and asked me to describe my sales experience in each of my previous jobs. He then explained the role to me and told me he was very interested in speaking with me further about the position. That was over 2 months ago....Since then, I contacted the recruiter and he says that the hiring mgr. is very interested and that we had a great conversation and that he would get back in touch with me. I know the economy is bad, but do really think this is what prospective employers want to have to deal with. I've lost all interest in the position and have moved on to other prospects. Additionallly, I will NEVER apply to this company again. If the interview process is this bungled and unproffesional, what kind of company is this to work for?? Awful.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging in April 2010.

Interview

Initially contacted an ex coworker (from a previous job) who was in a hiring capacity at Longview and was granted a group interview over dinner. Someone else was hired for the position and I forgot about it. Several months later, another ex coworker (from the same job as the previous contact) replaced the original hiring person. We set up an individual interview and was told that I would be hired. Later, the word from upper management was that I "didn't meet their sales candidate profile", which I understood to mean I was too old.

Interview Questions

• Why have you had so many jobs in the last 10 years?   1 Answer

Salary Peon Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging in February 2010.

Interview

2 members of human resources, basic behavior questions. They are looking for enthusiasm!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a conflict you had with a supervisor, what was it, what was the result, and lasting effects.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging in December 2009.

Interview

Applied on-line. Contacted by internal recruiter. Short phone interview with internal recruiter - very professional, obviously experienced. After several weeks, invited on-site for interview. Board interview made up of personnel from department plus same recruiter. Typical interview questions - tell me about a time you had... difficult person, problem with a peer, problem with a supervisor, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a problem with a peer. Be specific. What were the results of your actions?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your employment history. Go over each job in reverse chronological order describing duties and assignments.   Answer Question