Lord & Taylor Beauty Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lord & Taylor Beauty Advisor Interview Questions

Interviews at Lord & Taylor

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lord & Taylor (Paramus, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

Easy Interview, I was called in for an interview. The manager was very nice and basically hired me on the spot. She informed me that i would be doing the talent plus interview in a week or so. I got the call did the interview, and was called the next day saying I got the job.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Lord & Taylor

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Lord & Taylor (Farmington, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

You call and they schedueal an interveiw for you. You do to that interview (which was okay ) and then they (what ever cosmetic company you said you liked) calls you and does an on phone interview. Then they call you like weeks later and they say whether you got it or not.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?   1 Answer

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Lord & Taylor.

Interview

Getting an interview was easy but there's two, one in person and another on the phone. The one on one lady was cool but she lead me to believe id get the job but i didn't, which sucks. The phone interview was much harder, she was nice but i wasn't prepared for any of the questions at all .

Interview Questions

• What makes you a good team leader? Give some examlpes   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lord & Taylor (Garden City, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Brief but thorough interviews. Casual and all the managers I spoke with (store, counter, and department) were all really great! It was very relaxed like a conversation but I was previously doing tons of interviews at all different stores so I was pretty comfortable.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They didn't negotiate until after I was offered the job which I found a little odd but ultimately I'm very happy with the end result

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Lord & Taylor (Gaithersburg, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online in their website. After a day, someone called me for an interview. I went there the next day with professional pant, top and jacket. First, the human resource lady interviewed me. She asked me couple questions. Mostly about my schedule and time available to work. After that, I went to another room. The area manager came in and interviewed me.

Anonymous Employee in Wayne, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Lord & Taylor (Wayne, NJ) in March 2008.

Interview

I had three interviews and found out,I got the job that night

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Based on my last job,my pay stayed in that range

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lord & Taylor (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

Online application, 2-3 week harried call back for a next day interview. After a 20-30 min wait, I was summoned to start interviewing. The woman was brief (appeared she'd alre-ady made up her mind before I sat down). She asked about my flexibility (I was available whenever). She asked about my experience as a beauty advisor- I told her I didn't have beauty advisor experience per say, however, I am a current freelance MUA (3 plus years) and I have had retail experience. She kept mentioning that she would ask me more questions when the interview "began". Oh? But, I was under the impression that once I was called back into a private office to hand over my resume and be drilled with questions about my background, that THAT was the interview?

She asked what I knew about Lord and Taylor and whether I've shopped there. I told her about the corporate history, and that I hadn't shopped there before (the economy is hard and luxury shopping isn't a priority for me and hasn't been in two years). She starts to discuss what the role would require (different sales quotas and expectations, answering customer questions, etc)- but I got the distinct feeling that she was trying to dissuade me from applying to the position. She also asked who I'd worked for as a freelancer, and I mentioned I had different clients with weddings, editorials, etc. She wanted to know if I'd worked for an agency. I told her, as a FREELANCER, I worked for myself.

She asked what brands I would love to work for at L&T, and I mentioned, MAC and Bobbi Brown. I also mentioned that I didn't have a particular loyalty to any brand, and that I was happy to work with them all, seeing that my passion is in Makeup Artistry, and I have products from several brands that I currently work with and love to use. I don't know if this was the right answer or not, but I was honest.

She also asked what other positions I would like to work in the company if the beauty advisor opening was unavailable. I told her I was open to other positions, even though, I came in specifically for the one I applied for. I also pressed to see what positions were available that I might have been interested in. She was vague and then said she either didn't have any openings (huh??) and that she would have to check as they became available. This is the holiday season, and there were other candidates waiting in the main lobby when I came in for my appointment. So, I don't understand how she couldn't easily rattle off open positions since L & T was currently interviewing for hire.

She never got to any real questions about the position or what I would do in different situations to demonstrate my Customer Service skills, and at the end, she stated that she wouldn't offer me the position because the vendor wanted employees who had specific counter experience as beauty advisors.

As we concluded the interview, and I was leaving the office, I heard her chirp behind me, "Good luck with your passion!"

My feelings are that it is extremely irresponsible and disrespectful to advertise for a position without mentioning or stating anywhere on the application that applicants won't be considered if they don't have specific beauty advisor experience. I could have spent the ten dollars it cost me to come into the city on food or laundry. I could've also kept the resume I handed her for other employers who really were interested in hiring me.

I felt very disrespected with this interview, and I believe I dodged a bullet with this employer.
    Good luck to others who interview here. Hopefully, you will have a better experience than I did.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Lord and Taylor?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Trumbull, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lord & Taylor (Trumbull, CT) in October 2014.

Interview

Myinterview was really pleasant, they asked fairly basic questions about customer service, my previous positions, why I wanted to work there. Since I was in the cosmetics section, they also asked me about what my favorite brands were and why. I would definitely recommend wearing fresh faced makeup that subtly shows that you have technical skills, and its nice to be wearing a product you know one of their brands cary so you can reference it when they ask you brand related questions.

Interview Questions

• If you could work at any makeup counter, what brand would you choose and why?   Answer Question