Los Alamos National Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Los Alamos National Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2018

2.4

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

Conference call over phone with division mangers. After interview was done I was required to fill out application forms and background check. I then had to wait for a month or so to hear back.

Interview Questions

• lots of questions pertaining to the listed job description.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

Standard interview, with security clearance questions and such. They asked about what I've done before and why I would be prepared for the role, among other things. There were a lot of behavioral questions mostly.

Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM).

Interview

The process took a total of 6 months after applying online. First they asked for reference letters, then a couple weeks later some writing samples. Shortly after I had a phone interview with the group leader that lasted about half an hour, mostly describing the position and asking some general questions about my research experience. About 2 months later we started arranging the in person interview.

The in person interview lasted a full day and half of the next one. On the first day I had to give a 1 hour presentation on my research to the full group, followed by individual half hour meetings with everyone. Most people were friendly and interested in my work, although the senior staff was a little less friendly and (obviously) much more old fashioned. I was told about how it would work if I got hired and the 3 years of training/education I'd have to do, and a bit about the security clearance aspect.

I was told about 2 weeks after the interview that they were not going to pursue my application further. I would have appreciated a more detailed explanation since my impression of their impression of me was very positive, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Cognizant Systems Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in April 2018.

Interview

I interviewed at Los Alamos in April 2018. I applied online after around two weeks they made a screening then a phone interview and finally an on site interview. It was a very friendly atmosphere a panel of four. After the interview, they gave me a site tour. The next day I was asked for professional references, followed by information for a background check to proceed with the offer.

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in April 2018.

Interview

I did a phone interview and then an in person interview. Overall, good process with some quirks. I was surprised the phone interview was more generic questions about soft skills, with questions about my technical skills waiting until the in person interview. But during the in person interview, the people I met were great and welcoming. They did a presentation about their library projects and had me do one directly related to my position.

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in March 2018.

Interview

There were to be a panel of four, three of which were present. It took over 3 months to get to the interview after applying. They went around each asking a different pre-appointed question. I was prepared for the process and believed the interview went well. I was given encouragement. It has been 2.5 weeks since they said they would get back.

Interview Questions

• What was my greatest success   1 Answer

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Champaign, IL) in March 2018.

Interview

After passing a 30-min phone screen where they asked about my background, I had a one hour long interview with a panel of people I'd be working with. They asked standard behavioral questions such as strengths and weaknesses, how I deal with a difficult coworker or problem, and my overall career goals. The interview panel was very courteous and friendly. I was told that I'll hear back from them within a month regarding an on-site interview.

Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in December 2017.

Interview

First got phone call, then a follow up onsite visit, the interview were basic questions. The team was open and I felt like i know more than them about the job.

Interview Questions

• The interview team was the team i would be working with, they wanted me too understand the complexity of the job   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM).

Interview

I had an introductory phone call with the team lead, where he asked me about myself and told me about the research group and explained the hiring process a bit. I was then flown out to visit LANL. During my visit, I was interviewed by the team lead in person, where I was asked about my interests and experience. I then gave a 50 min presentation (I just tweaked my PhD dissertation slightly) for approximately 20 of the research scientists in the branch. My presentation was followed by a lab tour, where I spent approximately 20 mins with each team member, as they showed me their non-classified work. Finally, I interviewed with the branch lead, who again asked me about my previous work and about what sort of areas I would be interested in researching there at the lab.

Note 1: I didn't really get any typical interview questions like, "explain a situation where you had to deal with a difficult team member", or "what is one of your weaknesses".

Note 2: my visit/interview did take about 9 hours, which was physically tiring.

Interview Questions

• Basically, all of the questions were either technical questions about my specific research, or questions about what I would be interested in researching   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

Very informal; asked about my personal hobbies, why I liked my major. They described the Los Alamos area but were overall much more interested in having a conversation with me than asking technical questions. They had a questionnaire they filled out as I responded, which only took about 5 minutes and then we spent the next ~20minutes getting to know each other.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any issues/moral dilemmas about working for a place with a reputation like LANL with regard to nuclear weapons?   Answer Question