Los Alamos National Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Los Alamos National Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2017

2.3

Mechanical Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

got a phone call directly asked for on site interview, but the interview date was set one month later. I did not get a clear agenda until one day before the interview. when already arrived in the hotel, got an email said I need my passport. they had one month to prepare for it, but it seems nothing was done during the one month, they were even not sure if they booked the right conference room. feels like everything was in a hurry. in the presentation they tried a lot to prove that you are wrong they are right. not friendly at all. no tech questions out of the presentation. then tried to dig out your work experiences. after one month of the interview, I emailed them asked for results. told me they prefer another person. This is the only decent employer in new mexico, I really feel bad about my experiences. It seems that group did not prepared well about the interview, did not pay enough attention on me. they did not inform me what kind of documents I need to bring in advance, the whole night I was in hotel worrying about the passport issue. the next day told me i did not need a passport to get in the building. They said they emailed an agenda, turned out the most important attachment was attached at the last moment. I had to prepare my presentation only one day before the interview. though I tried my best, but I had only one night to spend on it. no wonder it turned out not as good as expected. but still i feel it is not solely my own fault. they should hire a better secretary.

Post Doctoral Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

The interview "team" never got to first base and fouled up the entire interview schedule. No clarity, very disorganized, no idea of proposed interview questions, and impersonal. Terrible experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

Had to send in a packet with CV, transcript, letter of intent and a letter of recommendation. Had a phone interview after that with one of the mentor at LANL.

Interview Questions

• Basic machine learning questions and image processing questions.   1 Answer

R&D Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied on the Lab website which was a pretty standard process; fill out personal information, submit resume and cover letter, etc. About two months passed before I was contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview was about an hour, and I was being interviewed by about 10 people. Prior to the interview, they Lab sent me the questions they would be asking and they stuck to them (ie. no curveballs). They would ask the questions, I would respond, then we would discuss my response.

After a week or two I was contacted about visiting the Lab for an on-site interview. All expenses were paid by the Lab, and the interview/tour lasted most of the day. I would say the same people that were in the phone interview were also present for the on-site interview. I had to write a short presentation about myself, and the interviewers would ask questions based on what I presented.

I received an offer about 3 weeks after the on-site interview.

The interview was more of a conversation instead of an interrogation, which helped to relieve my anxiety. Everyone in the interview was courteous and answered my questions truthfully.

Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in April 2017.

Interview

I did a 1 hour group interview followed by a 1 hour talk. We went to lunch and then I had a bunch of 1 on 1 conversations with various program managers. It was all very pleasant.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory in March 2017.

Interview

Brief (20-30min) phone interview with prospective mentor. I applied online, and heard back within two weeks. I received an offer the day after my phone interview. My experience at the lab has been great; it is a fantastic place to work as an undergrad given all of the talks and mentors. The interview itself was very basic; I was asked about my resume, relevant experience, and why I wanted to work at the lab. The emphasis seems to be on how well you get along with your mentor.

Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in February 2017.

Interview

I was actively recruited by HR to apply for a position even though I did not meet the technical requirements for the job. I applied after being encouraged to, and I was told based on my resume, I would be a excellent candidate. After hearing nothing from LANL for 1 month, I called the HR rep who recruited me to ask for some follow up. I related to her that it was the first time in my career that I was actively recruited and then not contacted for an interview. She had no explanation but said she would contact the hiring manager and get back to me. Again, I never heard back. In spite of this, I started reviewing available postings. The posted openings - like the first position - were equally exclusionary, requiring very specific experience that only someone working at this lab or another national lab would have. They actually seemed to be written for only existing lab employees to apply. In spite of this, I decided to apply for another position. After 3 months of applying for the 2nd position, I received a call questioning whether I was still interested in a position I applied for a "long time ago". Thinking the "long time ago" was the first actively recruited positon, I asked whether the interview was for the postiion I was actively recruited for and applied for 6 months ago and was told YES, but it turned out it that answer was wrong - it was for the more recently applied for 2nd position. In any case, I took part of a panel telephone interview a couple of weeks later, but felt I did very poorly due to the questions being very easy and general and did not allow me to emphasize my strengths. The panel questions were almost the type that would be for an individual contributor position, not a management position. To my great surprise I was invited down to an in-person one-on-one and panel interview. I was asked to come down for two days so I could tour the area. In addition, a staff member offered to spend the afternoon showing the area and the best places to live. This was very encouraging as I have only received this treatment previously when I was the only candidate for the job and the interview was just a final formality. The in-person interview two weeks later was a much better interview (although I had to help, see more below), allowing me to show my strengths and qualities which I was they seemed to be looking for, i.e., a leader, strong management background, and mentor/people developer. The body language both during and after the interview was very positive, but unfortunately I received a rejection letter a few weeks later. As a person with extensive hiring manager experience, i.e., knowing what a good or bad interview looks like and having had a number of previously successful interviews (i.e., being the hired candidate), I can say this was the best interview I have ever given. So I am confused and struggling with what they were really looking for and maybe they were also. The interview was very passive/low energy, so like any leader, I may have "taken control" or been a little more effusive than normal, but this should have not been a turn off. If anything, it should have been recognized as a good management behavior. You have one chance to sell yourself, so if the interview is not going to let you show your skills, it is up to you to take action. In any case and in hindsight, it would show respect to the candidate and save everyone a lot of wasted time and effort if hiring manager/panel/HR would take the time to really ask themselves what they want in a candidate. Based on some of the company reviews, LANL may (or may not be) bureaucratic, stagnant, and too close knit and isolated. To that end, LANL may need an infustion of better management/leadership talent that can initiate and implement positive change management. Though not stated outright, my impression is that the hiring manager and hiring panel agreed that they were looking for a strong leader with good management skills , so kudos to them. But if they (or any other company/organization) really want a leader, then don't be taken aback by someone demonstrating leadership behaviors when confronted with a low energy interview. To those unfamiliar with natural leaders who "take control of a situation," exhibit "confidence," and have a "postive self-image" can be mis-diagnosed as "controlling," "over-confident" and even "egotistical" when they start leading. Obviously I am disappointed that it didn't work out, but I will say the people were very nice and kind. I feel I would have been been able to bring positive improvement to LANL. Going forward LANL needs to decide if they want real leaders or not in their management. If yes, then have the guts to hire them, if not, stop picking natural leaders as candidates. And the status of the initial job I was actually recruited for? One year later it my application is still listed as "under review" on the hiring website.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle telling customer/stakeholders that you cannot meet all their demands/needs?   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in January 2017.

Interview

1 hour discussion about position requirements. It was pretty informal and laid back. I left with a very clear idea of what the job would entail and how the team works collaboratively.

Research Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview with a panel of people.Each one introduced themselves and the work they are involved with. Most questions were about previous work experience and challenges faced at work. Many questions were related to the achievements at different organizations worked with.

Interview Questions

• . Mostly general questions and few technical questions.Why would I choose to work at Los Alamos National Laboratory as a place to work.   Answer Question

Computer Security Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM).

Interview

Face to face interview . Management with HR rep. Questions on years and experience in all aspects of security. What type of college Degrees. Knowledge of national laboratory missions. Changes to management had recently occurred and the manager described the temporary lack of resources needed to do the job effectively.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating was conducted