Los Alamos National Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 4, 2018

2.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in October 2015.

Interview

Very weak interview. No technical questions. Managers know little to nothing of enterprise tech stack, or any tech stack for that matter. There were zero questions asked in terms of best practices, experience on a given framework etc... people who I work for are the same that interviewed me. There is little reason to prepare for this interview if you have experience, most of the answers are fluff. Just be honest and have a clean record.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in January 2017.

Interview

1 hour discussion about position requirements. It was pretty informal and laid back. I left with a very clear idea of what the job would entail and how the team works collaboratively.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

Very informal; asked about my personal hobbies, why I liked my major. They described the Los Alamos area but were overall much more interested in having a conversation with me than asking technical questions. They had a questionnaire they filled out as I responded, which only took about 5 minutes and then we spent the next ~20minutes getting to know each other.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any issues/moral dilemmas about working for a place with a reputation like LANL with regard to nuclear weapons?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through referral program. Interviewed by the hiring manager and senior team members. They asked about my prior research and work experiences and how it relates to the position applied.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory in March 2014.

Interview

Interview consisted of two phone calls with my principal researcher. She essentially wanted to gauge my interest in the job.

Other questions focused on my resume and research experience. It was a fairly easy process for the internship and was predominately through the program.

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Provo, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

Apply online, but if you want the job you need to network with people who work here. Don't expect them to call you back quickly--very slow hiring process. 6 months after applying, I got a call for an interview. He mainly just told me about the job and asked me about me background. I don't think this is typical, just what my mentor did.

Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Las Cruces, NM) in February 2015.

Interview

Working at Los Alamos National Laboratory was great. The interview process started when Los Alamos National Laboratory attended my school's career fair. I turned in my resume and got more information about working at Los Alamos National Laboratory from one of their engineers. He was really friendly and seemed genuinely interested in my interest with the company.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize one problem over another?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

I had a phone interview after sending in my resume. After a few weeks, I heard back and scheduled a phone interview with the head of the department in which I wanted to work. The interview was fairly straightforward for the position, and I received an offer soon after. Overall, an extremely positive experience.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

I was hired on over a phone interview. Very easy. Every interview will be different depending on your mentor. It was straightforward, especially because I already knew my mentor from outside of work.

Undergraduate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

Reached out to a scientist I knew, he had position available for the summer. Offered me the position if I wanted it. For first year undergraduates, this is mostly how it works.

Interview Questions

• No interview, however, the hiring process is lengthy, as they have to pass you through many governmental hoops and managers.   Answer Question