Los Alamos National Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 25, 2018

2.4

Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in December 2017.

Interview

First got phone call, then a follow up onsite visit, the interview were basic questions. The team was open and I felt like i know more than them about the job.

Interview Questions

• The interview team was the team i would be working with, they wanted me too understand the complexity of the job   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM).

Interview

I had an introductory phone call with the team lead, where he asked me about myself and told me about the research group and explained the hiring process a bit. I was then flown out to visit LANL. During my visit, I was interviewed by the team lead in person, where I was asked about my interests and experience. I then gave a 50 min presentation (I just tweaked my PhD dissertation slightly) for approximately 20 of the research scientists in the branch. My presentation was followed by a lab tour, where I spent approximately 20 mins with each team member, as they showed me their non-classified work. Finally, I interviewed with the branch lead, who again asked me about my previous work and about what sort of areas I would be interested in researching there at the lab.

Note 1: I didn't really get any typical interview questions like, "explain a situation where you had to deal with a difficult team member", or "what is one of your weaknesses".

Note 2: my visit/interview did take about 9 hours, which was physically tiring.

Interview Questions

• Basically, all of the questions were either technical questions about my specific research, or questions about what I would be interested in researching   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

Very informal; asked about my personal hobbies, why I liked my major. They described the Los Alamos area but were overall much more interested in having a conversation with me than asking technical questions. They had a questionnaire they filled out as I responded, which only took about 5 minutes and then we spent the next ~20minutes getting to know each other.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any issues/moral dilemmas about working for a place with a reputation like LANL with regard to nuclear weapons?   Answer Question

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in August 2017.

Interview

I was asked in advance to prepare a 15 minute presentation on a technical topic of my choosing. The interview began with a brief description of the group this group does, using photographs of their facilities. This was followed by several questions from a three-person panel.
    After the interview I was asked for professional references, followed by information for a background check.

Interview Questions

• Describe the accomplishment at my present employer I am most proud of.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

got a phone call directly asked for on site interview, but the interview date was set one month later. I did not get a clear agenda until one day before the interview. when already arrived in the hotel, got an email said I need my passport. they had one month to prepare for it, but it seems nothing was done during the one month, they were even not sure if they booked the right conference room. feels like everything was in a hurry. in the presentation they tried a lot to prove that you are wrong they are right. not friendly at all. no tech questions out of the presentation. then tried to dig out your work experiences. after one month of the interview, I emailed them asked for results. told me they prefer another person. This is the only decent employer in new mexico, I really feel bad about my experiences. It seems that group did not prepared well about the interview, did not pay enough attention on me. they did not inform me what kind of documents I need to bring in advance, the whole night I was in hotel worrying about the passport issue. the next day told me i did not need a passport to get in the building. They said they emailed an agenda, turned out the most important attachment was attached at the last moment. I had to prepare my presentation only one day before the interview. though I tried my best, but I had only one night to spend on it. no wonder it turned out not as good as expected. but still i feel it is not solely my own fault. they should hire a better secretary.

Post Doctoral Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

The interview "team" never got to first base and fouled up the entire interview schedule. No clarity, very disorganized, no idea of proposed interview questions, and impersonal. Terrible experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

Had to send in a packet with CV, transcript, letter of intent and a letter of recommendation. Had a phone interview after that with one of the mentor at LANL.

Interview Questions

• Basic machine learning questions and image processing questions.   1 Answer

R&D Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied on the Lab website which was a pretty standard process; fill out personal information, submit resume and cover letter, etc. About two months passed before I was contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview was about an hour, and I was being interviewed by about 10 people. Prior to the interview, they Lab sent me the questions they would be asking and they stuck to them (ie. no curveballs). They would ask the questions, I would respond, then we would discuss my response.

After a week or two I was contacted about visiting the Lab for an on-site interview. All expenses were paid by the Lab, and the interview/tour lasted most of the day. I would say the same people that were in the phone interview were also present for the on-site interview. I had to write a short presentation about myself, and the interviewers would ask questions based on what I presented.

I received an offer about 3 weeks after the on-site interview.

The interview was more of a conversation instead of an interrogation, which helped to relieve my anxiety. Everyone in the interview was courteous and answered my questions truthfully.

Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in April 2017.

Interview

I did a 1 hour group interview followed by a 1 hour talk. We went to lunch and then I had a bunch of 1 on 1 conversations with various program managers. It was all very pleasant.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory in March 2017.

Interview

Brief (20-30min) phone interview with prospective mentor. I applied online, and heard back within two weeks. I received an offer the day after my phone interview. My experience at the lab has been great; it is a fantastic place to work as an undergrad given all of the talks and mentors. The interview itself was very basic; I was asked about my resume, relevant experience, and why I wanted to work at the lab. The emphasis seems to be on how well you get along with your mentor.