Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 17, 2016

2.6

EHS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Not allowed to say. Due to the minimum fifty word requirement, I am writing more to fill in space. I sign something saying i will not discuss the questions and so forth. I do wish the process was faster but it is through the county and there are many different obstacles to over come. Its tough to get a follow up though. I wish others better luck than I had.

Student Professional Worker II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Very typical interview process. I applied online and heard back in about a month. The in person interview was about an hour with questions specific to SAS programming and epidemiology.
    HOWEVER. After you are hired, give yourself anywhere between 2-6 months before you're actually able to start. Going through the County's HR process of Live Scan can take a very Very VERY long time.

Interview Questions

• In SAS how would you go about combining large datasets for analysis?   Answer Question

Environmental Health Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baldwin Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Baldwin Park, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Interview with a panel of two women taking turns asking questions. They asked generic questions about previous work experience, personal work habits, organizational skills, dealing with supervisors, working with coworkers, and dealing with members of the public. After the interview, they had me write a paragraph describing a picture of a beach, which seemed a little silly. I later found out they were just trying to get a writing sample from me to make sure I could write in English.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had two assignments with the same deadline?   Answer Question

Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Department of Public Health in April 2014.

Interview

A lengthy application process followed by an interview. It was hard to gauge what exactly they were looking for. Job descriptions were very vague, but most of the details were talked about during the interview

Student Professional Worker I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Gate, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (South Gate, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I got lucky and got hired asap.

Interview Questions

• where do you see yourself in 5 years.   1 Answer

Certified Medical Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.

Interview

After an extensive/exhaustive/overwhelming online application, you receive a letter in the mail saying if you've been selected as a candidate for a pool. It basically ranks you in separate pools, and gives you a year in which your application stays in the pool. From there, different county facilities in your selected area contact you directly for an interview.
    The interview is pleasant, compared to others. It is a panel of interviewers who take turns asking questions from workplace habits, administrative questions, clinical questions, past experience questions, so it is a variety to see how you are as a whole.
    Be aware, everything the county does takes an extremely long time. It was 2 months after my application and letter that I was contacted for an interview.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of how you were able to act as a team member.   Answer Question
    • How many times in your last job did you have to call out unexpectedly?   Answer Question

Intermediate Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Scheduling for the interview was very limited. I interviewed on back to back days. I interviewed with several members of management for the department. The interview consisted of 10 to 12 questions, and consisted of real life scenarios what would you do questions. Overall easy interview. Do not be intimidated.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an angry customer or coworker in a difficult situation?   1 Answer

Certified Medical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Interviewed with a panel of two MDs both director of their clinics, Nurse Manager and Nurse Supervisor. Each ask you numerous questions on experience and education. The entire interview itself took approximately 30 minutes. No paper work to fill out. All involved were running late so I waited probably 20-30 minutes (it was during clinic hours).

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Interviewed in March and April, hired in June, and started at the end of July. Very slow process. Application is initially reviewed online and graded. Your score determines whether or not you will get an interview since everyone with a score higher than yours will need to be interviewed first. Pay attention to the job description.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.

Interview

Application: The people who review resumes & applications are HR clerks, not trained in Public Health. Therefore, it's best to try to match your experience with the job description. Don't be afraid to copy & paste key phrases, seriously!

Once your application has been reviewed, you'll be invited for a general first interview to rank you. The interviewers are other public health professionals, and the interview asks generic questions about your experience in health education, working in diverse populations, problem solving, etc.

After completing this initial interview, you'll be placed on a list to rank you among the other candidates. The lists are ranked in bands. Band 1 is the highest, band 2 is next, and so on. The number of people in each band varies by how many people applied for the position.

Once a program or department decides they have an item/position to fill, HR will provide them with a list of candidates from Band 1. They will contact the individuals and set up a interview related to the specific position. If they don't identify a candidate from Band 1, they'll move to the next band until they find someone. Depending on the program, there may be second interview.

Interview Questions

• The questions asked in the first interview are fairly generic, but come prepared with your prior experience collaborating with a team, working in a diverse community, and successfully implementing a health education program.

The questions in the second interview will vary depending on the specific program
      Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation for salary. Everybody starts at the same step.