Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 1, 2017

Interviews for Top Jobs at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department

Civilian Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The actual interview process was fairly simple. It's basic questions like any other interview. If you pass the interview, they send you to the background investigator where you must submit requested documents. Then you get sent to take a polygraph exam if needed. Not all civilian positions are sent to take a polygraph exam. They send people based on the initial interview with the investigator which is quite unfair if not everyone goes through the process. You then get scheduled with the polygraph examiner. The polygraph examiners are abusive on their positions since they have all the power in deciding whether you fail the exam. Before even getting hooked up to for the polygraph exams they judge you based off the "friendly conversation" because that's what they will use in determining if you're likely to have stolen items or done drugs, etc. Even when you tell the truth during the poly exam, they will accuse you of lying or trying to cheat the test. They have no clue what they are doing and the polygraph exam should not be used as a tool for determining whether someone should be appointed to the position. It obviously doesn't work since there are so many corrupt people within the force. My friend went through the same process and lied on a few things and she managed to pass. My advice is to only tell them what you want them to know because they have no way of finding out unless you've had encounters with the police before. Stolen and never caught? Don't tell them. Tried any drugs? No you haven't.

Interview Questions

• Have you been to a strip club?

What kind of music do you listen to? Really? So you've taken drugs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I was hired years ago, and I am sure thiings are different today. Before you took the Interview, you took the written test, physical agility test, interview, medical exam, psych test and polygragh. Then months of background investigation. Finally got my call to start the Academy.

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

First, you apply online and they will schedule you to take a written exam weeks later. After passing the written exam they will notify you the next day. Once you've passed you will have to wait for your exam scores to process to a background investigator. It usually takes about 2-3 weeks. Once you receive your background investigator, you will be scheduled for a background interview. The background interview will require to submit a lot of paperwork and copies of all your personal documents. During this background interview, they check your social media pages, they ask you all the questions they asked during the online application + more to get a better sense of who you are. Afterwards, they schedule you to take a polygraph test. After passing your polygraph, you will wait a couple weeks and they will offer you conditional appointment upon you passing your medical/psychological. After that, they call you in to sign off on the rest of your appointment papers, and then you will be scheduled for academy training.

Interview Questions

• They did not ask specific interview questions. They had a ton of questionnaires about what you've done. And if you've committed any crimes.   Answer Question

Senior Clerk Typist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Before the interview or hiring process is complete all Sheriff's Department employees will have gone through an extensive criminal, career, credit and personal background check. If a prospective employee's credit is not acceptable the department will give the prospective employee time to get their present credit situation cleaned up if possible.

Interview Questions

• Extensive backgound check. Personal as well career wise.   Answer Question

Deputy Sheriff Interview

Interview

The interview process was long because there were many people applying. And I guess because there were so many people applying there were multiple interviewers in one room. My interviewer was not interested in me or what I had to say. In the middle of my interview he is discuss with go fellow employee what they are going to get for lunch. I felt that was very disrespectful to me. I also felt he rushed through my interview because he was tired and ready to go. And once I finished, I discussed with the other applicants their experience. They said their interviewer was helpful with questions they had or didn't understand, very caring about them doing well and so on. Hearing all this I felt it was not my fault I did not receive the job. But they gave me a retake interview, which was canceled and rescheduled without my notice. And I still didn't get the job

Interview Questions

• How has your past jobs, school, or experience in general prepared you for this job?   Answer Question

Deputy Sheriff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Interview

Very strict application process and some of the background investigators are overly aggressive during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• You get asked millions of unexpected questions in this line of work.   Answer Question