Los Angeles Water and Power Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Associate Mechanical Engineer

Los Angeles Water and Power Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Los Angeles Water and Power

3.1

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

Did this during my last semester of college. Interview was pretty straight forward. It just takes a while to hear your results and to actually begin the process.

Interview Questions

• know your thermodynamic cycles and fluids as well.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Los Angeles Water and Power

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

Overall I was interviewed by a panel of two employees. They asked a series of technical and behavioral questions. They take notes of of your answers in order to put you on a hiring list and assign you a score. It takes two + months to get your score via email.

Interview Questions

• How do you prepare for a presentation?
      Define the 3 laws of thermodynamics?
      How to apply Bernoulli's equation?
      How do you deal with a team member that's not putting in enough work/ not performing well?
      What design & management experience do you have?
      What software's are you proficient in?   Answer Question

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

Questions were asked from a list to a number of applicants in a one-on-one interview.
    Applicants were ranked based on interview performance, with their rank relative to other interviewees being emailed to them 4-6 weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you prepare technical information for a presentation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Davis, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

Interview was held on the UC campus. Found the position on the UC Davis job board which had me submit my resume and list my engineering courses with corresponding grades. Two recruiters took turns asking questions. Very formal, to the point, and quick.

Interview Questions

• Describe Bernoulli's equation and when you can/cannot use it?   1 Answer
    • What is the first law of thermodynamics?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Riverside, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Business Casual. I had an on-campus interview and the interviewers were very friendly. I walked into the interview very nervous but they were relaxed. Take your time with answers. I thought I was well prepared for the interview but they asked some questions that caught me off guard.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (San Diego, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Applied through my campus, got an interview on campus, took the interview with two engineers taking turns asking me questions, waited 6 weeks for my score (should get 90 or above if you want to get through the first interview round), never heard back from them since

Interview Questions

• Technical questions about thermodynamic cycles and bernoullis
      Behavioral questions - the general situational questions   Answer Question

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied through school website. Interviewees were selected for primary and secondary dates. Limited time slots per date were available. Interview time slots are first come first served, so register ASAP.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

On-campus interview. I was chosen to be interviewed after submitting it on the college career center website site. It took about a week for a response, however the job post was for about two months and I applied in the last couple weeks of the two month range. I submitted a resume and another required paperwork. After reserving a spot for an interview they will email you another required paperwork to bring in on interview day. The interview itself was a panel interview with two panelists, before the interview they ask you if you have any relationship or know the panelists. My panelists were really friendly and seemed like they wanted you do well in the interview. You get scored, after your interview about a month later. Try to aim for 85 or 90 or better. A couple months after the interview I found out that LADWP is the toughest graders out of the city departments so if you can try getting an interview with another department.

Interview Questions

• What is the first law of thermodynamics?   1 Answer
    • What has your education and experienced prepared you for this position?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineering Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Interviewing for this company takes ages. If you are willing to wait, the salary and benefits are probably worth it from what I've heard. I had my first interview on my university campus in March and didn't hear back for a second interview until September. That's 6 months!! I was still in school so I didn't have another job offer so I interviewed at LADWP, but again 2 months later (now) and I still haven't heard back about whether or not I got the job or not even though they said 2-3 weeks. The interviewers were generally nice and all engineers. 2 for the first one and 2 of the second one.

Interview Questions

• First interview:
      2/3 behavioral questions
      - How would you prepare for an interview?
      1/3 technical questions
      - What are the types of head you need to consider when trying to transfer water from point A (downhill) to point B (uphill)?
      - What is bernoulli's equation?

Second interview:
      3/4 behavioral questions (some from the first interview)
      - What would you do if you and your supervisor had conflicting ideas and both of you thought you were right?
      1/4 technical questions
      - What are the 3 modes of heat transfer? What are some examples of each one?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineering Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (San Diego, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Two people interviewed me. They were friendly and asked technical questions as well as some general common sense questions. You are put into a pool of applicants after the interview. You need a score of at least a 70/100 on the interview to be even considered. However, due to the high number of applicants, you probably need a score of at least 85 or 90 to move on. I received my score 6 weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Know your thermodynamic energy cycles.
      Bernoulli Equation (know the assumptions that allow you to use it).
      Fluid mechanics applications.
      How has your education prepared you for this job?   Answer Question