Los Angeles Water and Power Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Los Angeles Water and Power Interview Questions

Interviews at Los Angeles Water and Power

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I had two interviews, first one was ranked which puts you in a list and the priority for the second interview goes to the ones on top. The second one was at LADWP (Civic Center) and took about 1.5 hours. The interview had two parts: 1.Technical Writing 2. Oral QA interview. The questions were both technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Some technical questions specifically related to the job and some behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very slow. You have to take a test or have an initial interview to determine your score. After a few weeks, you receive your score and at which point, different departments can refer you. Then you have to wait for another interview that can take up to weeks. It's a very slow process, however very structured.

Interview Questions

• Explain how your education would make you fit for this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied through the city website. There are two interviews. The first is the most important: you will be interviewed by a panel of three people. Will be asked both personal and technical questions. Interview lasts about 30 minutes. The job is very competitive as you will NOT be the only one there. It's almost like an assembly line type of appearance. Weeks later you will receive a score based on your interview. Your score, along with all of the others that interviewed, will be put on a list where other city jobs can also contact you. So in interviewing for this job you are also putting yourself out there for other companies/locations to contact you based on your score. To hear back from ANYONE you need to get a score of 90 or better and even with a 90 you will be waiting a while.

After the score you will be asked to verify that you have graduated & show proof of EIT (if you have it).

If you are called back from DWP, you will go to a different location for an interview that is mostly completely technical. Within two weeks after this interview you should be informed of an offer or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to work on a team and not everyone got along. How did you handle the situation?

How would you apply the usage of a transformer in practice?

Tell me about an issue you encountered with a short circuit and how did you deal with the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through On-Campus Interview (OCI) Program and the application process took a month. Two people interviewed me and most of the questions are behavior questions. The interview was about thirty minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

A mix of personality and technical questions. They would ask you primarily power questions to test if you know the basics of power systems. Things like power factor, types of equipment found in substations, protection equipment like circuit breakers and fuses, complex power (active and reactive), etc. They also ask those typical behavioral type questions such as describe a time you've had a conflict with a team member, how did you resolve it, why do you want to work for us, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe the three main components of a power system   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Davis, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through university and interviewed at university.

Interviewed with two people that were both very friendly. Both of them went back and forth asking questions that were mostly behavioral and a few technical.

After interview it supposedly takes weeks for you to get a score out of 100 with a 70 and above to be considered adequate for a position, which then leads to the second interview.

Interview Questions

• How does your education prepare you for this job?
      What are three stages to a power distribution system?
      If you were presented with two designs, which qualities would look for to help you choose the better design?
      What would you do to prepare for a presentation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Northridge, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Brief Behavioral based interview with two interviewers. They were very easy going and asked simple questions to see how you would function in the workplace. They also asked one technical question but it was not difficult. They also run through your resume so be sure you can explain what you have listed

Interview Questions

• One simple technical question : Whats involved in a power distribution system?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Santa Barbara, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was pretty casual, I had two interviewers who went back and forth asking me questions. They were really friendly and the questions weren't super challenging just some behavioral ones and simple technical ones

Interview Questions

• If you and another member of your team are arguing about how to tackle a problem/project, how would you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

There was a three man panel who all took turns asking questions about my experience and also my knowledge. There were some very specific EE questions which you need study for, therefore to be successful do a little bit of study in general EE practices.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain in detail a time where you had to work in a team environment and were successful?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power in March 2013.

Interview

Submitted application online and was called for a phone interview about 3 weeks later. The phone interview consisted of both behavioral and general technical questions from an enginner, and it was more technical such as what are the three departments of a power system and what type of electrical equipment is used.

Interview Questions

• Name all the equipment used in the distribution system and what does it do?   1 Answer