Lowe's Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lowe's Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Lowe's (Brookings, SD) in March 2017.

Interview

The hr will call you in for your interview. My interview was with the hr and store manager. They will ask you around eight situational question with the "tell me about a time when"

Interview Questions

• Do you remember a situation where you had to implement an unpopular program and how did you get your team to buy in ?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Lowe's

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, WV

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Lowe's (Charleston, WV) in July 2014.

Interview

Since I lived out of state, I had a phone interview. Then had interview with both HR & SM. The interview questions where situational. Being retail for so long, it was fairly easy.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever known of any wrong doing? If so, how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lowe's (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Ridiculous. Gone are the days when you can send in a resume. Everything is impersonal and online. You have to take a lengthy assessment test. If you score high on it then you will get calls for an interview. Of course if you fail you will not be called. I would say most of the time with the questions asked-the person has not even looked at your resume or experience.
    Do not get your hopes up. With Lowes as well as most other companies and this includes Home Depot, if you are called to interview for an assistant manager spot..you are what they call a "plus one." Which means they are just seeing what is out there in the market. They do it to cover their butts before they promote an internal employee. They are required to interview at least 3 people before they promote so nobody can go squealing that they had their person already picked out...etc. 99% of the time the job goes to an internal employee who has already been tagged. Of course it gets click-ish and inbred but they have their person picked out. It is great they promote from within but tedious and time consuming for the person outside the company who gets their hopes up. Be sure to ask who they have left to interview and how many are internal. You usually get your answer when you hear about the hiring pool or how quickly they plan on filling the position. If you hit it off with the Store Manager occasionally you will get a kind truth. It is great when you run across someone honest. I used to do the hiring with a previous company so I know how it works. If companies are reading this please consider removing the personality tests and also the assessment tests for the position. You are hiring test takers. In my experience the best employees have interviewed poorly and I have hired them knowing what they were capable of doing because I had a face to face and not a phone interview. The tests mean nothing. A doer does not always test well. And even my wife who has a huge IQ (don't know why she married me tho...could account for stupidity there...lol) will bomb on tests because she gets nervous. There are also people who test excellent and that is all they are capable of doing..is taking tests.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you gave great customer service. Describe a time when you were in a difficult situation and how did you remedy it...etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lowe's (Dallas, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

Took 3 weeks, HR manager Store Manager Market manager. Online testing and multiple interviews easy interview no out of the box questions. Retail retail retail. Be ready to discuss merchandising and overall employee training as major parts of the business.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you helped employee be their best.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lowe's in April 2015.

Interview

Very thorough. A lot of situational questions. Followed the interview guide to the letter. Two interviews and follow up. One with HR and Store Manager. Very easy process and all the people were friendly and helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Lowe's (San Diego, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

The hiring process for this company is normally smooth, quick and efficient. It depends a lot on the HR Manager and their ability to select, interview and hire the right person without showing favortism or being too selective. The employees that have worked for Lowe's should be paid better to start than what some of the HR Managers pay them.

Assistant Manager Interview

Interview

Was current employee. Interviewed with store manager. Not many other qualified applicants to choose from so I g.uess I got lucky. Asked standard manager questions regarding customer service skllls

Interview Questions

• How did you turn an unhappy customer to a happy customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Was offered amount and I took it.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Lowe's.

Interview

Be ready with examples of customer experiances, associate interaction, projects you worked on. Be friendly and exciting you have to win the store manager over. remember that your stories are your own its all about who can tell the best story, add to it the nessasary componets to make it complete start to finish. Don't be in a hurry. Take notes with you so you can have a reminder ready with the stories your going to tell and take notes on the questions your asked, you will need to hit who, why,where, when, what in your stories.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness and I dont have an answer this is its a hard question you'll have to have your own.   Answer Question

Negotiation

there was not one I wasn't promoted from with in so its a standard 10% which sucked because with the hours you work its almost the same pay as a dept. manager with alot more responsibility.

Anonymous Employee in Rockledge, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lowe's (Rockledge, FL).

Interview

Interview with store manager and HR manager at same time

Interview Questions

• questions are situational based, example, tell me about a time you led a team to a goal   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation phase they offer you a job for how much money the pay rate adviser says

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lowe's (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

Scheduling the interview was difficult. We played phone tag for a day or two, but after it was scheduled, the process was professional. The HR took notes, and the store Mgr asked questions from an interview guide. They were great questions mostly related to helping in out of the ordinary situations or finding the root causes of employee performance. There were aprox 10 questions which took about an hour to hour and fifteen.

Interview Questions

• He asked one question that wasn't on the interview guide at the end. What would your morning meeting be like? It just caught me off guard a bit with its simplicity, but completely open ended nature.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They put your education and experience both in retail and in the speciffic position into the pay rate advisor program, and it spits out a number. There isn't really much negotiation unless you think something wasn't entered correctly. I was given one of the highest offers I've seen in a while with an AA and 7 years mgmt experience at 56k. The new pay rate advisor basically treats internals the same as externals which is nice. My ASM experience at another retailer didn't matter as much as a department mgr, but when being considered for ASM it takes that into account heavily. Lowes is all about getting the people in their correct roles right now, in some cases, even if it means giving a raise to step down into a position that better suits your skills.