Lowe's Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Assistant Store Manager

Lowe's Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Lowe's

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Lowe's (Chandler, AZ) in April 2007.

Interview

interview was very basic, asked for knowledge of merchandising skills as well as people handling skills. asked what to do with an angry customer, what to do with an associate that is underperforming, what the definition is of a "perfect aisle" by merchandising standards. also talked about what i wanted out of my future with lowes

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Lowe's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Robert, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lowe's (Saint Robert, MO) in August 2012.

Interview

I was called for an interview about two weeks after applying for the job. I was asked to come in the next day for an interview. Wen I showed up all employees I interacted with we're very friendly. I waited in the training room for a while, while they were interviewing another person. When I went in for the interview they asked me to tell them a little about myself. There were two managers interviewing me. After I told them a little about myself they asked 8 behavioral type questions, alternating between the two of them. They gave me plenty of time to answer questions and would ask probing questions if I was having difficulty answering questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain your prior experience with ordering inventory for a store.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Battle Creek, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Lowe's (Battle Creek, MI) in September 2009.

Interview

One interview with approx 13 questions. Interview may be through phone if you live a good distance away, otherwise, it's just one on one with the store manager and HR. Be prepared. Know all of the customer oriented situations you've had in the past. Also, know different leadership strategies you've had success in.

Interview Questions

• There were not any really unexpected if you're from the retail industry.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None, was getting promoted from department manager. Set base pay.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lowe's (Atlanta, GA) in April 2008.

Interview

The interview process lasted about 4 hours (assessments/tests/HR/SM interviews)

Rather tedious procedures/ computers crashed several times. Was not a good first impression for me

Interview Questions

• There were no questions that I could not answer...my entire career encompasses this industry.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I told the Store Manager what my requirement for salary was...he okayed it with his District Manager and everything was finalized

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Lowe's (Olathe, KS) in January 2009.

Interview

An employee working at another store recruits candidates to fill positions at a local store. The prospect is then interviewed by a direct supervisor, a district representative, and a regional vice president. All this is done in a cordial way; they already know they want the person or they would never have been recruited.

Interview Questions

• There are some "strangely personal" questions that come up in private settings regarding: spouse, spiritual affiliation, favorite NASCAR racer, and the like.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I received a $6000 salary increase from Home Depot's current amount and two weeks of vacation available anytime after my first ninety days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Lowe's (Highland, NY).

Interview

Applied online through indeed.com. Was called back about a week later and interview by the Store Manager and HR Manager. Learned that the HR manager does all the hiring and interviewing while talking to him. Went through situational questions, financial acumen, competing priorities, performance development and management, and about me. Was called a week later and offered a job by the store manager.

Interview Questions

• Difficult: Tell me about some of your opportunities and how have you gone about changing the way you approach them?   Answer Question

Amount of money they offered which was considerably less compared to the amount I am making now for the same title in a different company.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lowe's.

Interview

3 interview process, standardized questions. all decisions are made by the store manager. I have noticed that most store manager only have Lowe's experience. They are looking for specific terms and words you say in the response to their questions. hit those keys words and their faces light up. ie micro seasons, indexing report, hi/lo reports...

Interview Questions

• none, if you have legit retail management experience you shouldn't have any problems answering the questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

As a salaried employee you are provided a written offer letter. You can provided a counter offer but most likely it will be shot down. Negotiation is not encouraged but you always try.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Lowe's in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online for the position. I expected that it would take a while to hear back but to my surprise I was contacted the next evening and asked to come in for an interview. I am currently employed so she was very friendly and asked when would be a good time for me as she didn't want to interfere with my job. I was off the following day so surprisingly she set me up for the following morning at 9AM. I was told that i would interview with her and the Store Manager. I arrived a few minutes early and approached customer service as she requested. The young lady let me know that she didn't think she was in and called back to ask someone. She finally asked the manager himself and it was clear that we wasn't even aware that he'd have an interview that day! Excellent communication and preparation... She arrived after a short wait and I had to sit outside her office while she printed the required forms for the interview. The interview itself was neither difficult or exciting. The company uses an 8 question structured interview. He and her took turns reading questions from a document and writing answers; such as "How would you handle an inventory issue?" or "Tell me about a time when you led your team to accomplish an overwhelming workload. " They were all common situational questions to gauge people and retail skills. They briefly discussed what I was looking for in pay and where I worked. They also asked about my typical schedule and were quick to inform me that the job included mostly late nights until midnight or later and weekends. They gave each other the unspoken "glance" when I mentioned that I normally worked mostly days in my current position but I'd expected that there would be more nights. This almost made the job undesirable for me, not because of the hours but because of their attitude about the position. It made me feel as if they were looking down on the Assistant Managers if their operation. They advised that each interview was given a score based in the answers and that the job typically goes to the highest score. They also said that company policy requires that atleast 3 interviews must be conducted for each open position before a hire can be made. I was not impressed by the interview and had already decided that I'd probably not accept the position if offered. I am an experienced Manager with 15 years behind me. I conduct interviews every day and never want to give the impression that I received. I received an email thanking me for my interest but we are "pursuing other candidates" the following week.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lowe's in February 2013.

Interview

Applied for an ASM position on line and was called back the following week for an interview. Interview went well with typical behavioral questions. Met with the HR and Store Manager with 8 questions being asked. Near the end of the interview, I was informed that there was another ASM position that they were looking to fill and that I would be considered for that one. The position was posted and I re-applied. I had called the store back at the end of the application deadline and found out that I was one of three being considered for the position. I was called back and offered the position but it was $20K below what I was currently making (which was included in my application). I offered the Store Manager additiional information about my background and experience that justified my current salary and he said he would see what he could do with HR. Never heard back from him and found out three weeks later that my application was no longer being considered by reviewing my application status. No phone call or email...very unprofessional experience.

Interview Questions

• None were unexpected or difficult...   1 Answer

Offer was $20k below my current salary

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lowe's (Tucson, AZ) in August 2009.

Interview

Two interview process beginning with HR manager and ending with Market director. 10-15 questions, all situational based with specific scenarios from past work expected.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you made a mistake. What did you do to resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for wages