Lowry Park Zoo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lowry Park Zoo Interview Questions

Interviews at Lowry Park Zoo

2.1

Zookeeper Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lowry Park Zoo.

Interview

Fill out an application online, they will contact you for an interview via email or phone. They're all extremely nice and polite. The questions were not meant to trick you. No crazy questions, pretty straight forward. The keepers all have a lot of passion for their job. All-in-all it was a pretty easy and painless process.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Lowry Park Zoo (Tampa, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

I had interview with two of the managers and one from upper management. All three will ask you numerous questions. Be prepared as these questions are usually extensive and just make sure to focus on customer service. Really helps if you have prior customer service experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

some negotiation available for availability, none for pay.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lowry Park Zoo.

Interview

Sat in a food court and waited for an interview. Sat down with 3 managers (all late to the interview). After the interview they said it would take 2 weeks to work but 4 weeks later they still didn't submit paper work.

Preschool Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lowry Park Zoo (Tampa, FL) in August 2009.

Interview

The Vice President of Education will likely call you for a phone interview first to gauge how well you answer preliminary questions (how long have you worked in preschool, how have you handled any workplace conflict, what does privacy in the classroom mean to you, etc).
    You will then be asked to come in for an hour working interview. You will be placed in a classroom with one of the lead teachers to see how you do. They are all very nice and will report their findings to their supervisor. If you do not impress these ladies, you will not go beyond this point in the process. The Zoo School is cultivating a team that works together, values each other, and has much to contribute. Be on your game during this part of the process; interact with the children, ask questions, and get to know your potential coworkers. They want to know who you are and how you would get along with them before they give you a "thumbs up". This isn't hard to do, but does require your effort.
    If you make it past this round you will then be asked to a formal interview with the VP and possibly an arrangement of other teachers. These are standard questions that you will answer, but they really do listen to your answer. When they ask you what kind of hours you are looking for, don't say something silly like only half days, or odd weekdays off. It is a preschool, they are open 7-6:30 M-F, and you must be available these days.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a conflict come up with a coworker or supervisor? How do you handle those situations?   2 Answers
    • What does privacy mean with respect to the classroom and your students/families?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiations are slim as there is a very set pay scale or the positions. They will often rescind offers if potential employees seem difficult.

Contemporary Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lowry Park Zoo (Tampa, FL).

Interview

It was a pretty fast turnaround. They were (and in my experience, always were) desperate for these kinds of interns, so I was scheduled for an interview quickly and my "hiring" was pretty quick as well. It was a pretty laid back interview, the woman who became one of my supervisors even ended up talking about common interests, so it wasn't very formal. Still dress professionally, but know that it isn't a crazy formal interview. Be prepared, but don't sweat it. The biggest problem I had was the processing portion once I was hired, but they can rush that along in most cases.

Elephant and Rhino Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lowry Park Zoo.

Interview

I was contacted less than 5 days after sending in my application for a phone interview. The interview was extremely short (between 5 to 10 minutes) and the interviewer was very friendly and answered all my questions about the facility. The very next day after my interview I was offered a position.

Interview Questions

Interview

Filed application online via their website, got standard verification letter. Site says it would keep apps for only 30 days, so resubmitted. No verification this time. Tried to call about the job, and got the phone tag run around. Asked if the position was filled, got sent to HR rep voice mail, then to hiring manager voice mail. Third attempt got a "I was told to inform you that a hiring manager will be in contact". 3+ months, still waiting for contact. No hope of the job, wouldn't take it on a bet now. Just rude from the word go.

Asian Gardens Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Lowry Park Zoo (Tampa, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Very simple, five or so quick questions that focused on your favorite animal and why you would choose that exact department. The interviewer was very friendly and easy going, the email I received never said I was going to be interviewed so I was not prepared at all but she didn't seem to mind and offered me the position on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite and least favorite animal?   1 Answer

Part-time Educator (Nights, Weekends) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lowry Park Zoo (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Complete mess. Arrived for interview *scheduled* morning after an overnight camp-in -- scheduled by the people doing the interview, and this after the interview had to be re-scheduled twice for various and sundry issues on the Zoo's side. Had to wait an extra hour-or-so beyond the scheduled interview time for the interview to start, and the people doing it (tag-team? Maybe?) only took me to the back conference room and chatted with me and with other volunteers/staff who didn't know to stay out of an interview going on. Lots of playing with walkie-talkies, even though they were busy with an interview. Occasional mention of one interviewer's side job as a bartender. Eventually decided to wander around aimlessly behind the scenes at the Zoo, not for any other purpose except to walk around and wave at someone with an Outreach animal. Returned to sit at a picnic table and ask stupid questions about what my favorite animal was, then had a few more staff intrude just because they happened to be wandering by and didn't realize an interview could be happening. Interviewers then told me to wait while they disappeared for about 15-25 minutes. Interviewer returned and gave me two or three comp tickets to the Zoo, just for I-don't-know-what. I sent an e-mail afterward to the interviewer to thank her for taking the time to interview with me, and she replied that she wouldn't be hiring me. No pleasantries or anything. Forget this place!

Interview Questions

• What do you think the purpose of a Zoo is?   1 Answer

Senior Zookeeper Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lowry Park Zoo.

Interview

If you know your "stuff", interview process is managable. Very good questions for the job. You are more likely to get a job if you have volunteered, interned or know someone who already works there.

Interview Questions

• Give a time a decision was made that you did not agree with, and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Ask for what you are worth If you have experience.