Lutron Electrical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lutron Electrical Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 3, 2017

3.4

Electrical Engineer Analog Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lutron.

Interview

It was a 5 min interview. They do not consider students on OPT. So don't waste time in applying. Moreover local candidates are highly preferred. I think they do most of the hiring from their university next door Leigh university.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lutron.

Interview

Interview process is a full day of interviews where they focus on technical and behavioral traits of the candidate. It was a series of smaller interviews about 1hr each where most of the interviews would be conducted with two people each time. Depending on distance from location, there might be a dinner interview the night before for the candidates that flew in for their interview.

Interview Questions

• Several thought problems to see how the candidate would solve various problem scenarios.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

I first had a phone interview, then an onsite interview. The onsite interview lasted the whole day. There was one "technical" portion, and the rest was problem solving and general assessment of personality, etc. They paid for transportation and food for the day as well as gave a tour of their facilities.

Interview Questions

• Started off easy with Ohm's law, moved on to more difficult concepts like debouncing and timers and communication protocols. There was a role-playing situation. They also ask you questions about your previous projects. They assess you on your general problem skills. There were also soft skill questions e.g. how you take feedback and how you give feedback.   1 Answer

personal reasons

Electrical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Lutron (University Park, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly typical. It was one-on-one, we talked about why I was interested in Lutron, what I liked about Electrical Engineering, and then they asked me some brain teasers and circuitry questions to get a feel for my level of understanding and my overall thought process when approaching a problem. They initially asked for me to be prepared to talk about any past project I'd worked on as well, but we ran out of time.

They initially said I'd get a response in 2-3 weeks, and it took a few weeks longer than that. Their rejection came in the form of "All of our positions have already been filled," but I know this is false because a friend of mine still had an interview with them for the same position and location after I had already received my rejection notice. That's a bit patronizing.

Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Approximately 7-8 rounds, as discussed in other reviews:
    1.) Recruiter - Basic transcript review, behavioral questions, etc.
    2.) Technical - They're looking for how you think through a problem in your field. Mine was the step input/bias PNP circuit as others have talked about.
    3.) Creative - Here they ask you questions geared towards another engineering discipline in an obvious attempt to see how well your remember fundamental engineering principles (Hooke's law, etc.)
    4.) Lunch - Meet with a younger employee and tour the campus. I was asked some fairly straightforward questions such as 'What does ESD stand for?' and 'What is the range of common household voltages around the world?'
    5.) Role Play - They give you an hour to figure out a very complex problem one customer is having. Make sure to be very professional from the get-go.
    6.) HR - I talked with a senior HR member and discussed why I wanted to work for Lutron, as well as what I'd look for in prospective employees if I owned a company.
    7.) Overview - This one was very vague. I talked with someone who was working on RF things and he asked what my interests were and what fields I'd like to get into at Lutron.
    8.) Recruiter wrap-up

All told, it was an 8 hour day and fairly tiring.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the height of a kite given unlimited resources?
      How would you measure the weight of a car with only a ruler?
      Answer Question

Project Electrical Engineer - Analog Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Lutron in November 2014.

Interview

The phone interviews is initially very conversational. I would say the key to getting this right is to be as extensive as possible in coming up with the solutions for the stated problem and for each solutions, make sure the idea is crystal clear in your mind. One thing that the interviewer always does is to keep asking you questions about something you talk uncertainly. I was asked the usual question about an LED being connected to a 5 V rail and the source is a 120 V AC- how would you make the circuit work. Start with a simple resistor as a solution. Note that the LED has different ways of brightness control and turn-off. So, you can focus on any one of these ( simplest one prefered, both for your sake and the interviewer's ) for your solution. There is also one imaginative question. I was asked the 3 light bulb, 3 switches in a different room question. I was honest and told the interviewer that I had heard about the question earlier. I think that was a good thing as he seemed impressed with my plain honesty. He then asked me- " you are stuck in a trench, deep enough that you cannot get out directly. How would you get out?". You are expected to be really creative, not realistic in this question. So, feel free to make the conversation slightly casual, but keep trying to answer the question all the same. I was able to mention 4 different solutions, some laughable, but accepted. Make sure you mention all the assumptions you make in reaching the solutions. Make sure the interviewer in following your thought process (this applies to all the questions). Also, make sure you understand and convey power electronics concepts on DC-DC and DC-AC-DC conversions very clearly. I was then called for the onsite interview in Coopersberg, PA. This is typically a 5 hour process. Understand this- if your interview gets over after lunch, it does not mean that you are rejected. The process is strictly 5 hour long and they stick to the time schedule. There were 4 rounds of interviews. Make sure you are very attentive when they take you on a tour of the experience center. You HAVE to ask as many questions as possible to the people you meet that day. The fisrt session is a presentation. The second is a tech chat where they ask you the basic light bulb question about which is brighter. They will try to figure out your weak point and question you relentlessly on that. Make sure you do NOT get frustrated or give up at any point. This lasts for an hour and a half usually. Then is the creative question- here the question is more decision making types. This is the tricky part. You are very closely observed on this one. Then the lunch and the office tour. Both are excellent places to ask questions and understand the company and the work culture. But this is a trick part too. I am yet to hear back from them, but their response was fairly good about my performance from their feedback on the interview day and follow-up.

Interview Questions

• Lunch interview, the interviewer kept talking about microcontrollers and it was not my field of expertise   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Interview

Started from a career fair, and got a phone interview after 3 weeks. The phone interview is really basic about diode, PWM circuit and etc. Then an on-site interview which took a day. Started from giving a presentation to some people from other departments with two rounds of tech interview.

Interview Questions

• If you are hired by a kite company to raise their profit of selling kites, what will you do?   Answer Question

Project Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA) in November 2014.

Interview

1 phone screen
    4/5 onsite interviews
    2 skype interviews
    The process is similar to what other people have described. Just go in with your best attitude. Try to honestly answer the question. Try to be innovative.

Interview Questions

• Basic Electrical Engineering question (switches, bulbs, circuits etc.)   Answer Question

Project Electrical Engineer - Analog Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lutron in October 2014.

Interview

Dropped my resume off at my school's career fair, heard back from them that night and scheduled an interview with them for the next day in my school's career office. Was mostly a techincal interview, asking about power electronics. Be able to explain DC to DC conversion, covering resistor dividers, voltage regulators, and buck and boost converters. Make sure you can say when you'd want to use a voltage reg versus a buck converter and vice versa, ( think voltage dissipation issues for the reg!).
    I was contacted the next day and told that I had passed the first round and would be moving onto the final round of interviews.
    Final Round Interview
    7 to 8 hour all day process. You will have multiple interviewers who will keep you on your toes.
    I personally had, and in this order:
    1. Behavioral interview, 1v1 standard walking through your resume
    2. Technical interview, I had the same 2 questions as the hpast two reviews mentioned, light bulb in series, and a PNP (NOT npn), transistor with a cap at the base. Vo(0-)=-10, Vo(0+)dv/dt, Vo(infinity)= 0.7 (due to the diode drop).
    3. Case Interview, 1v1, surprising but be prepared to think on your feet and walk through your assumptions. If you see something wrong with your result for a market size, re-look your assumptions and evaluate which ones you might need to change.
    4. Lunch, 1v1 : had lunch with an employee and got a tour of their facilities.
    5. Role-play interview 2v1: You're put into the shoes of a new engineer who has to take care of a customer call. I'd really suggest keeping track of time, which got me in the end.
    6 &7. Behavioral Interviews 1v1: teh first one was a skype interview with an executive where he asked me about my resume, and when I said I wanted to do analog, he made sure I knew the ideal and non-ideal op amp properties. the last interview was a short meeting with a HR exec.
    As of right now I'm waiting to hear back

Interview Questions

• Look at the other questions posted for analog engineer, it'll probably be the same.   2 Answers

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lutron in October 2014.

Interview

Interviewed at campus and then had a telephone interview with the manager. I was asked to solve a puzzle with 3 bulbs in a room and to detect which swtich would turn them on.