Lutron Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

3.3

Construction Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

This was the messiest, most disorganized interview process I have ever been a part of. I applied at the beginning of January, 2016. After the application, I was referred to a different opening, stating I wasn't qualified for the position I applied for. Okay, no problem. There were two phone screens, pretty basic. After the second phone screen I received a call from HR saying that they were interested in interviewing me for two positions, which I thought couldn't hurt my chances. 10 weeks later, they reached out again to set up an interview. 10 weeks. And this was only for one of the positions; I never heard about the other one. I went in with an open mind, because you never know what they have to go through on their end.

The interview itself was good. It was tough, but I had a good connection with the hiring manager and his team and overall got a good vibe. Everyone seemed very intelligent and driven. They seem very interested in hiring the right people.

The week following the interview, I received an email stating I was moving forward in the interview process. I uploaded my transcripts and references to help keep the ball rolling. Then, weeks went by. HR was completely non-responsive, and when I reached out I was met with a generic "I'll reach out the hiring manager, thanks" every single time. Finally, six weeks after my interview, I get a call saying that they would like to open a position for me, although it isn't the one I interviewed for. Simultaneously, the second interview for the other job never happened; it was filled without them interviewing me or telling me they didn't want to interview me. So, now I say I'm okay with this third position, because it sounds like a great opportunity and really have no choice. I'm asked to upload my transcripts, which I point out I did a month and a half ago. Another six weeks go by, and I have still heard nothing of this magical position they are supposedly opening for me. At the time of writing this review, it has been 21 weeks since I first applied. That's 5 short of half a year. It's also been about three months since my interview. Luckily, I have accepted an offer with another firm a few weeks ago.

HR desperately needs to get their act together. It was evident that they have absolutely no clue as to what is going on in their organization. I feel the need to remind them that they are not only interviewing potential employees, but potential customers as well.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Lutron in March 2016.

Interview

LONG. Took the entire day and I got called back for a second! This was tough because I had a full time job at the time. Two days off of work was extreme. WHY CANT THEY DO ANY OF THIS REMOTELY?

Innovation Leadership Program- Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lutron (College Park, MD) in February 2016.

Interview

Called on time, 30-45 minute interview. The interviewer explained what Lutron does. Asked me to walk them through my resume, they ask you to describe each experience on your resume in detail essentially. He asked several questions about each resume experience. Then asked a brainstorming question.

Interview Questions

• Brainstorming Question: You are driving an SUV, you come to a bridge that says weight limit 3500 lbs what do you do. Essentially they are asking you how you would estimate the vehicle's weight with no tools.   1 Answer

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was difficult considering I was only interviewing for a sales role for which they have a 4 week training program and consider an entry level role. I received an email to do a phone screen, which was pretty easy. A few days later, I received an email invitation to come in person to interview with the department. There was a role play and a timed test that had mathematical and other analytical questions. From there, I had a group and 1 on 1 interview with the team members and told by the HR representative that I would hear back in 1 week, which I did. Overall, I think the interview process was okay but disorganized as one of the interviewers was thrown in to interview me even though they weren't supposed to be there. It was also a bit of a surprise that they even considered me for a sales role with my background not being in sales.

Marketing Interview

Application

I interviewed at Lutron in February 2016.

Interview

After applying with my resume through a recruiting firm, I participated in a phone screen with a second recruiting firm, then filled out a 2.5-hour Caliper test and filled out a resume form on their website. After that, I had a 30-minute phone interview with the department.

Finally, they sent me an automated email--a reply to the 2nd resume I submitted through their website--saying that my resume did not make it seem like a fit. After I had already done two interviews.

Interview Questions

• Very standard questions, nothing you wouldn't expect in an interview.   Answer Question

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lutron in January 2016.

Interview

My interview was for a Customer Service Representative position. After hearing about the interview process at Lutron I was really nervous for the interview. I wanted to make sure I was prepared and knew what to expect but there were not too many detailed descriptions on the Customer Service interview process. I thought this might help out future applicants.

First of all, the interview lasted 5 hours, but could be longer for others. I met with at least 5 people throughout the day. It started out with a tour of the show room where some of the Lutron products are displayed. The tour was laid back but informative. They asked questions about the history of the company, how long the products are said to last, and other questions that were pretty straight forward. They asked some technical questions about the products. I was nervous about the technical questions because I am not a very technical person, but the questions were nothing that I couldn't handle. After the show room tour I was put in a test room where I was given two different test packets. The first test was pretty much common sense questions. The exams are timed and there about 50 questions. You do not have to answer them all. The second exam was more technically focused. Those questions were not very hard and I was able to finish that entire packet. The results to both tests were not shared with me. After the exams I met with two different customer service managers. During this interview we did a role play scenario for a customer that wanted to order a product for their home but wasn't sure which product would be the best. I did not have very detailed knowledge of the products, but they will assume the same for you. They will give you all the information necessary to solve the problem. I recommend bringing a notebook to write down the information they give you during the scenario so it makes it easier for you to solve the problem. I would also make sure to focus on your customer service skills even when you are problem solving. After this I met with a HR manager. He asked me questions about myself on a person basis and wanted to learn more about what kind of person I am. I made sure to ask a question whenever I could. I asked questions about the culture of the company, what they like about the company, what are the responsibilities of the customer service rep, etc. After this I was taken to the customer service building where I sat in and listened to a representative take phone calls. Make sure to ask good questions the entire day. Finally I met with a final customer service manager. We talked about the hours I would be working and any schedule limitations. We also talked about why I wanted to work for Lutron. Pretty much everyone I talked to was very interested in just getting to know me. I felt the interview process went very well and it was one of the most enjoyable interviews I have ever been on. After the interview I sent thank you emails to everyone I met with. They told me I would hear back in a week. I was contacted through email a few times to get the necessary paperwork they needed from me, but it took 3 weeks before I was called and offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a problem with a customer at work, how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work for Lutron?   Answer Question
    • if you ran your own business what aspects would you focus on the most and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They call you in for a face to face sit down to offer you the position. They explain they pay and all the benefits. I did not have to negotiate anything because it seemed like a really great offer.

Embedded Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lutron (Allentown, PA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Had a phone interview with screen sharing. They asked their usual 3 bulb question.
    Cleared the phone onterview. Next round in Allentown, PA.
    1:! Interview:
    4 rounds if i remember.
    In the beginning they give a tour. They took the candidates in their automated room.
    Second round was technical. Two interviewers asked basic electrical questions and followed up with some basic questions related to embedded design : pull up, pull down resistors, debouncing etc.
    Third round was role play.
    Final round was a presentation related to my work. The interviewer seemed disinterested.

Interview Questions

• Write a code to counter the effects of switch debouncing.   Answer Question

Operations Project Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lutron.

Interview

Tough and long technical interview. Make sure you have your technical abilities down and only some behavioral question. Great interviewers and great culture. They treat you well and great communication throughout the whole process. Big key is to make sure you are technically sound.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lutron in December 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with an IT guy who graduated from CMU. I first got an email that asked me to send them my transcript. After that I got another email to ask me about my availability, and then we made a phone interview.
    asked me questions about the resume and my previous experience.
    asked me about some projects that I've done, and classes that I've taken in college.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

Extremely antiquated the onsite process takes the entire day and interviewed with no less than 11 people over 8 hours. Take a Caliper test, several phone screens. Its easier to get into Fort Knox.