Lyft Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 40 of over 1,313.0 interviews

Recruiter17%
3.3
HardAverageEasy

Lyft

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lyft

Interview

The take-home challenge is really time-consuming. It seems a little unfair that they refused to provide feedback after you have spent 30+ hours on the assignment. Literally, all I got when I asked for feedback is, 'the presentation looks nice'.

Interview Questions
  • How do you interpret logistic regression results?
    Answer Question

Lyft

Application

I interviewed at Lyft

Interview

Received an email asking for a phone screen. Filled out a form indicating times available for a call. I marked three distinct times. A recruiter responded immediately indicating one did not work for here (she did not specify which). We eventually settled on a time on a late Friday afternoon. The call was pleasant enough. Received an automated denial two days later (on a Sunday afternoon of a three-day weekend).

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

What people are saying about Lyft

Join the conversation on

Confession

8d

works at

PwC

Took a Lyft this morning and the driver was left foot breaking. How common is it to drive a manual with both feet?

15 Comments

Join the conversation on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft (Palo Alto, CA) in Apr 2021

Interview

Applied through referral link. Got an email from recruiter within 2 weeks. first round was with the recruiter and talked about my work experience and projects. Next round was a technical screening which was mostly focused on probability and business case.

Interview Questions
  • 1) Lyft wants to launch ride share program. What are the most important KPIs would you track? 2) Lyft is trying to optimize ride sharing program. The app shows time for a ride to arrive. How would you decide a time threshold before customer cancels the request? 3) A $5 coupon is given to N riders. Probability of using coupon is P. What is expected spending? 4) A $5 coupon is given to N riders. Probability of using coupon is P. What is the probability that one of the coupons will be used? 5) There are 2 riders. Both have coupon. Given that at least one of them uses a coupon, what is the probability that both uses the coupon? 6) In the above question we assumed that the events of using the coupon are independent. In what case our assumption would be incorrect? 7) Currently, lyft app shows estimated time for a ride to arrive (ex. estimated time of arrival 5 min). We are thinking to change it to show a range (ex, estimated time of arrival 3-5 min). Hypothesis is that total rides would increase. How would you go about setting up the experiment? 8) Our internal dashboard shows that number of new drivers is down by 7%. How would you investigate this issue? 9) Is it necessary to investigate decrease in new drivers signed up? In what case it will not be necessary? 10) I do not understand P value. Will you explain it?
6 people found this interview helpful

Lyft

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Lyft

Interview

The whole process had 4 stages: a recruiter screen, a 60-min technical phone screen, take home assignment that they give you a few days to complete, then a virtual onsite consisting of 5 interviews, 45 min each.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Lyft

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lyft in Mar 2021

Interview

The process contains 4 parts: one short HR call; one 1-hr technical phone screen. The technical questions are not very technical. It's more like a consulting type of interview. a 24-hr project; and onsite. Rarely I feel so negatively about a company during the interview stage. The take home project takes so much time. They say 5-6 hrs... sure... I'd say unless you are desperately looking for a job, it's not worth it. What upsets me so much during the process is that they did not say I would need to use my own computational resource beforehand. I assumed I would at least be given some temporary access to some cloud service. No nothing. So I bought a $10 temporary cloud service on the day of the project. Lyft refused to reimburse me for this expensive. I found this absolutely unacceptable. This makes me feel the company is taking advantage of interviewees to solve their problems. Overall very bad impression.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Lyft

Application

I interviewed at Lyft

Interview

Phone screen with an HR, technical phone screen with the team's manager, homework case in machine learning, onsite interviews (probability, machine learning, business case, background / team fit and coding)

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Lyft

Application

I interviewed at Lyft

Interview

Technical phone call, get right into it. 45 minutes. Questions are vague and challenging. Make sure you are familiar with ride sharing KPIs and basic probability. Case study like questions that you would see in consulting interviews. If you get past technical you have take home prompt and then presentation on that take home prompt in a “superday” type setting.

Interview Questions
  • Expected value of binomial distribution?
  • Expected value where Probability of using a a coupon is p and there are n people with a coupon and the coupon is $5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in Aug 2020

Interview

Initial screener Interview with HR, walk through your resume and why are you searching etc. Then there was a technical screen, which was much more difficult that outlined. Be prepared for both case type questions AND probability based questions - I read through how it was mainly a KPI case study and then a take home, we started with the KPI case study but then it was a ton of probability stuff that I wasn't prepared for.

Interview Questions
  • We are going to launch shared rides, what metrics would you use to gauge success
  • We are implementing shared rides and considering adding in a 30 seconds waiting period for our algorithm to identify additional matches. What metrics would you use to evaluate this, and how would you run this experiment?
  • If you give N riders with the probability of P a $5 coupon, what is the expected coupon spend
  • What assumptions would you make to underpin that answer?
  • What is the probability that one of the coupons will be used?
  • Given that one coupon was used, what is the likelihood that another person will use the coupon - ie. that both of them will use the coupon?
  • We are considering adding in a feature where instead of a direct estimate of 5 min, instead displaying a range of say 3-7 min. How would you conduct this experiment? How would you know your results were significant?
  • Given a coin, how would you determine the p value necessary for the coin to be fair?
  • We have a dashboard tracking our metrics, and average ETA is up by 3 minutes. How would you investigate this problem?
  • What other methods besides user are there to use as your unit of randomization?
16 people found this interview helpful

Lyft

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lyft in Sep 2020

Interview

First round phone screening with a recruiter. Then, having a 1-hour technical (audio-only) interview with a data scientist. ABSOLUTELY no intro! He said: "Hi, my name is XYZ, what is the probability of ..." NOT JOKING... I've never experienced this before. Haha! He had a list of 15-20 questions in front of him, and just wanted to get to the bottom of the list. lol

Interview Questions
  • What is the p-value of a binomial distribution?

Lyft

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lyft in Aug 2020

Interview

First interview is a phone screen with an HR recruiter, second is a skill-based interview with a data scientist. They will focus on statistics and research design in ride hail context.

Interview Questions
  • The data scientist asked me questions about how to calculate basic statistics and asked me to share them in writing via our video chat.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 40 Interviews