Lyft Software Engineer(Internship) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lyft Software Engineer(Internship) Interview Questions

Interviews at Lyft

3.5

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lyft.

Interview

The interview's first step was a coding interview (shared screen, over phone). It lasted 45 mins. Questions asked about my background, projects and then a coding interview. This was the software initial screening interview. Interviewer was pretty helpful in guiding through the process. Cons: Did not provide any feedback after the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you identify islands (1's) in a sea of (0's)?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Lyft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lyft (New York, NY) in September 2018.

Interview

the interview process is good but the recruiter doesn't tell me the result until today(1/3/2019), May be that's the way of them to reject. still less than 30 words...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me and did a mock interview which lead to a first round interview solving a leetcode like question. From there I moved onto final round which was 3 hours of video interviews. A behavioral fit interview, a guided take home question building a piece of software from the ground up and another slew of leetcode questions. From there they wanted an extra round which was a take home byte board assessment which is the worst thing I've ever experienced in my life. Assignment was confusing with incredibly short time frame and no way to ask clarifying questions.

Interview Questions

• CS fundamentals, algorithmic problem solving   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft (Seattle, WA) in October 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was reached out to by a recruiter in about a week or so (didn't really keep track). Had my first phone screen and the interviewer was amazing! He acted like he wanted to be there (not common for tech interviews in my experience). Then moved onto final round 2 weeks later. Laptop challenge was confusing at first so I did my research before going in. They basically give you a problem, you go over it with your interviewer, then they cut you loose. You have around 45min to complete the coding challenge by yourself (with the interviewer muted or not present) and access to any and every resource you want granted you're using your own computer. Then the interviewer will come back, you explain your solution, and then wrap up with the typical ending with questions about the company. Then you have another 60 minute technical interview. Overall the final round was 3 hours, which was pretty brutal. My two interviewers were nice, but not as enthusiastic as the last guy so I thought I struggled a little bit with the personality/behavioral side of the interview. I think I got all the questions given correct (they run your code against test cases that you have to come up with on your own to sniff out the corner cases). They were easy/medium leetcode difficulty questions.

But what really blew me out of the water was my recruiter. She responded quick and got me a decision in 2 days! Unreal!!

Interview Questions

• Cannot disclose due to NDA.   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lyft in November 2018.

Interview

I applied online in early September and interviewed for the Level 5 internship, which I failed and was moved on to interview for the main team. Overall the process was quick besides when it took 3 weeks to hear back after my mock interview. The recruiters give feedback after your interviews if you ask. I feel as though my interviewers were more interested in me walking in and knowing the solution as opposed to me coming up with a solution from scratch. I say this because although for both interviews I cam up with the solution myself and wrote runnable code, after explaining my solution and went over examples with my code after I was done writing it up, my interviewers had feedback like "is slow in solving problems and should practice more on cs fundamentals". This confused me because the interviews have all been focused on you brainstorming solutions for the first few minutes until you arrive at the optimal solution and then after the optimal solution is found, you code up the solution and walk through it with examples, which I did. I just feel like they want memorized solutions and don't care how you get there. My two cents.

Interview Questions

• Find common elements within 2 integer arrays in O(N) time and O(1) space   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

An employee gave me a referral and a recruiter reached out to me. We did a phone screen, then proceeded to 2 technical phone interviews. If you pass these 2 interviews, you receive an on-site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lyft (Tampa, FL) in September 2019.

Interview

Coding assessment was on a project with the implementation of the neighborhood restaurant finder. The application has a lot of classes with and the task was to implement some of the methods for the application using object-oriented programming techniques by using already implemented classes and their methods.

Interview Questions

• Make a method for Restaurant finder which accesses the server to extract all nearby restaurants of a person, based on his lat/long.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft (New Orleans, LA).

Interview

I got a call and at the same time, I had to code and talk through the code for the problem I was given. I was unfamiliar with how to solve the problem but I did it to the best of my ability without using dynamic features such as vectors. I answered the question and talked through my thought process so I don't know exactly what they want from a college student without any experience. If I was that good I wouldn't need a job with lyft now would I was my afterthought when the call ended and I got the rejection letter

Interview Questions

• I was asked to program how many times a meteor hits the earth based on its direction.   Answer Question