Lyft Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lyft Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Lyft

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft.

Interview

The interview itself was an awesome, intellectually challenging experience that I felt aligned well enough with the possible situations that a product person might run-into at a company like Lyft. However, after getting passed it was hard to get feedback after the interview, and the initial screening was practically non-existent. I wondered if it had been a poor fit from the very beginning, and if we had wasted everyone's time.

Interview Questions

• How would you design at ETA system for Lyft drivers?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Lyft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Incredibly slow and frustrating process. I had three different phone screens that each would ask one question, then would require a week or two wait between the next steps. First two were simple, generic PM questions of the "walk me through how you'd design..." style. Third interview was supposed to be the technical screen, where I was asked a question that I thought was a. well outside the scope of this position, and b. unnecessarily technical. I replied that I didn't think this was the PM's role, to give specific technical guidance to an engineering team (and that in my experience, doing so compromises the trust between a technical lead and the PM) but he pushed that he'd want to know how I would structure the endpoint. Went ahead and answered as best I could, was told that my final solution is how he too would solve it, then was sent an email the following day telling me that I'd been passed over.

Interview Questions

• If you were building a link-shortening tool where one link could send a user to one of multiple different destinations. How would you structure the data so that on the server-side of things, the API response was incredibly fast. Speed is king.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I started the process through a friend's referral, after which the recruiter promptly followed up and we chatted over the open positions to make sure the company would be a mutual fit.

After the initial recruiting phone call, you would normally go through a phone screen. Following that, you go onsite and do 2 interviews at the office. Afterwards, you're given a take home assignment that encompasses a variety of PM tasks and skills. At the final onsite, you present the assignment and then go through 4 more interviews.

Interview Questions

• The onsite interviews asked both about my previous experience, as well as design questions for hypothetical products. The questions were pretty normal PM interview questions in general. What really stood out to me was that going through the interview questions with each of the PMs was actually fun and enjoyable and it felt more like a real discussion you might have while working there.
      The assignment asks that you don't spend more than 3 hours, but it's pretty difficult to constrain it just to that much time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

2 rounds of interview, on site and an exercise. Good process overall, mix of product and analytics. Focused on testing and product thinking, including a design exercise. Overall a pretty good process, really nice people that I interviewed with. Talked through metric definition and key performance indicators for the products we talked through. Also talked a lot about the company and why I was interested in working there, they seemed interested in my take on the overall space.

Interview Questions

• Describe previous product you worked on and a feature you shipped.   2 Answers
    • How would you roll out an algorithm improvement for driver matching?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a recruiter intro call, phone screen and two on-sites. The final on-site, which takes the full day, also includes a product presentation to a group of product managers. Overall the interview process moved pretty quick, they were able to give me feedback from each round of interviews within a day.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions centered around Lyft products and features. Questions were generally "how would you build this?" or "how would you measure that?" type questions.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft in June 2016.

Interview

I am not based in SF, so interviewed on phone. The phone screening consisted of 2 one-hour interviews with Product Managers from Lyft. Interview consisted of a case and a question from resume. The interviewers were good and tried to keep the interview as light as an interview could be.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

3-step process - Recruiter screen, phone interview with PM, then in-person with two PMs. Phone interview with PM was short and to-the-point.

In-person interviews with two PMs individually was a bit more detailed, delving into product management areas such as ways to A/B test specific changes and how to test algorithms for efficiency using small sets of the population.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Worst interview experience of my life. The first person I met with was rude, mean and came off like a jerk. I wanted to politely walk out after 15 minutes. There is no way I would ever want to work at Lyft.

Steps:
    1. Phone call
    2. 1 in-person meeting
    3. 2 in-person meetings

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lyft in September 2016.

Interview

Not a good interview experience. Surprisingly the similar experience with fellow reviewer here, some of the interviewers are quite arrogant and not friendly. Interview content is pretty random, hopefully there will be more professionalism shown in future.

Application

Interview

Similar to what people have described - the interview process was a phone screen, then 2 hours in person at the office.

Similarly to how other people have described these interviewers - my first interviewer was uninterested and distracted. Both stated that I solved their problems correctly, but I have to admit I was thrown that in both interviews I was asked to solve problems that Lyft has been unable to crack themselves. This is really bad practice in my opinion, and it turned me off the company.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve Lyft's commute problem?   1 Answer