Lyft Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lyft Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Lyft

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter.
#1 Initial call this the recruiter: The recruiter was responsive and easy to work with.
#2 Technical phone screening: The interviewer was well-prepared, smart but not arrogant, fun to talk with. Questions he asked were technical, but not boring typical algo questions. After some coding exercise we discussed about team culture and products.
#3 Technical phone screening: The interviewer canceled my interview 2 minutes before it was supposed to start. The recruiter rescheduled it with the same person. This interviewer was nice, but sounded very nervous and unprepared.

Interview Questions

• questions relevant to their service   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Lyft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Had a phone screener with a recruiter, then a 1hr technical phone interview. After that I had an onsite that lasted ~4 and 1/2 hours. The onsite had 4 different people interviewing me, they were all nice and supportive except one guy. First 3 were algorithm questions and the last person asked me to describe a problem I encountered on another job in depth.

Interview Questions

• Tree path question, some graph BFS. Pretty simple stuff.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Lyft.

Interview

It is the worst interview experience I ever had. Their questions are not difficult but the engineers are very arrogant. The current engineering quality of Lyft is just so so. Being arrogant and mean in interview is not the correct way to show your technical strength! Don't waste your time interviewing with them. They are not really hiring engineers. All they do are just making ppl think they are hiring like crazy.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lyft.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter and scheduled and phone interview. I was called on time and asked few questions on background etc. He a started asking questions and asked me to write some code in the ice that they sent a link. Get used to the IDE.

Interview Questions

• simple questions was too easy find the second max in an array etc   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lyft.

Interview

I was approached by a LinkedIN recruiter and he scheduled a call with an engineer. It was my first telephonic interview and I was doing this for the first time.

Interview Questions

• The question was very simple. Given a tree how to find the longest branch.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me and set up a phone interview. He spoke to me for around 30 minutes and was very enthusiastic. The interviewer was in a rush to end the call from the beginning. I solved the question in time (~20 mins) but still got a reject.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interviewers were very friendly, interview was fun chat and discussions along with standard questions. Interviewers stressed on thought process and gave small tips when needed.
    Questions were testing CS fundamentals and coding skills and are similar to what other top companies ask.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions, initial coding round, onsite coding and design rounds.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter on the same day. He briefly went over the teams and the interview process, which consists of 1-2 1hr technical screens and a full day onsite. We scheduled the technical screen for the following week. For the technical screen, you have the option of visiting their office and doing it onsite, which I'd highly recommend; interviews over the phone and coderpad at awkward at best because of the lack of face-to-face interaction and it was also a great opportunity to check out the office and culture before getting too deep into the interview process.

The technical screen itself was fairly straightforward and the recruiter was very open about what topics to expect. CS fundamentals and good communication were key. The recruiter got back to me with results the next day and we scheduled an onsite for two weeks later (because of conflicts on my end).

Again, the recruiter was extremely helpful in setting expectations for the onsite; he hopped on a call with me a week before to go over the teams and engineers I'd be meeting with as well as specific feedback from my screen. It consisted of four technical sections (two design, two coding), lunch, and a chat with a hiring manager. Everyone I spoke to was smart, friendly, and easy to work with and I received a verbal offer just hours later.

This was definitely the most positive interview experience I've gone through. There were no egos or weird power plays during the interview or negotiation process and I definitely felt like the recruiter was trying to set me up for success.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft in October 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter about a week after applying online for an iOS position. Set up a quick 30 minute call but she got the time zone wrong, so we had to reschedule. After the recruiter call, did a short technical call with an engineer. The technical interview had very little in the way of coding, just asking questions about my development style. After that the recruiter wanted me to complete a "short" programming assignment. I pushed back since I hate doing these but they told me it was part of their process.

I spent a good 8 hours building a "small" app (they told me to send it within 2 days). A few days after submitting the app, I got a form rejection email and no contact since. My experience is similar to another interviewee on Glassdoor who I should've paid attention to. While the app I wrote was not perfect, I have no way of knowing what it was lacking, and literally spent hours on it for no reason. Companies that require candidates to do this before an onsite just come off as lazy as it requires no extra work for them and a lot of extra work for the candidates.

My suggestion is an emphatic DO NOT APPLY FOR A JOB AT LYFT. It is not worth your time. There are better companies out there that require fewer hoops to jump through and actually treat the candidates with respect.

Interview Questions

• General questions about iOS frameworks, language features.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone Screen and then Onsite.

I am not sure they are actually hiring engineers - the interview was pretty average and all their questions were answered. No offer ! Thanks for wasting my time Lyft.