M&T Bank Interview Questions | Glassdoor

M&T Bank Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.5

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at M&T Bank in July 2016.

Interview

I had a job interview with M&T. The interview process was horrible and insulting. The hiring managers were very emotional and kept interrupting me and didn't let me speak at all. The hiring managers were very aggressive and they kept framing me for things I didn't say and they also kept accusing me for faking my resume when they clearly didn't read my resume and just kept judging.

In this interview, I never had a chance to speak, he just kept attacking me. I don't see the point of doing this. If this is how the company culture is like in M&T, I would feel sorry for anyone working in this company. For me, this is a very shocking experience, I have never been to any interview like this, where the interviewers were so rude and they seemed to be looking for a fight rather than finding a candidate to work with. I find them really childish and unprofessional and never again I will apply for jobs in this company. It's called basic respect to people and even if I came to an interview it doesn't mean that you could just take advantage of it and kept yelling at me and make things up to frame the candidate for things that he didn't even say.

One of the really ridiculous thing they said was that "how do you get yourself up to speed when you picked up a new system to work on?". I told them I borrowed a book from the library to learn about the system. Then he said "I'm disappointed that you borrowed a book from the library, rather than buying the book. Why did you borrow a book but not to buy the book?". I asked him why this is a problem. He said that it's wrong not to buy a book but to borrow it from the library. And he kept asking "I don't understand why you borrowed a book". In my mind, I was like, what is the problem with borrowing a book as long as I can get myself up to speed with my work, does it make that much difference if I purchase a book rather than borrowing a book? I honestly don't see the difference.

He also started saying "So, you are saying you will not research online and watch youtube.". At this point I found this person just being unreasonable and was not making any sense. And he repeatedly said that he's very disappointed that I borrowed a book but not to buy a book. And he kept saying i didn't use youtube and online website, which is something he made up and he kept framing it as if that's something I said. I just found it really stupid to argue on something like this with someone during an interview. I mean, he kept arguing on things that he made up and he was just putting his own words in my mouth. I don't know what kind of people actually work in this company? Is this how the employees are like in M&T? I mean, I don't see him challenging me in a constructive way. He just enjoyed harassing candidates. And the point is, his logic was seriously wrong, I don't see the difference between borrowing a book vs. buying a book. Do you really want to work with someone who sound so unreasonable and non-sensible?

The other thing he did was that he looked at my resume for only keywords, and without even reading what I wrote in my resume, he then started making things up from the keywords and started saying that I made up things in my resume. I mentioned very clearly in my resume of what I have done, my experiences has been in Marketing, that's clearly stated in every part of my experience. But he kept saying I lied about this in my resume, and he kept mixing up between "Microsoft Dynamics CRM" and "Microsoft Dynamics". I told him already that I worked on the "CRM", which is not the whole Microsoft Dynamics. This was clearly stated in my resume, but he kept saying that I lied about having MS Dynamics experience, but I told him repeatedly that I worked on only the CRM but he didn't listen. He just kept on accusing me of faking my resume. I mean, if he is really looking for a MS Dynamics person but not a CRM person, why didn't he put that on the Job Description for the opening? but instead, the Job Description clearly asked for "CRM" experience, which is what I have in my work experience and was also in the JD for the position I applied for.

I found this extremely humiliating. He kept insulting me while he clearly didn't know what they put in the job description. What's worse is that he kept misinterpreting my resume and he deliberately twisted details on my resume to make it sound like I have faked my resume. This is a seriously sick person and at this point I just felt like he was wasting my time for the interview and I don't know what he was really looking for.

If you are serious abut looking for a candidate, please make sure you do not ask for a skill that is completely different from what you have advertised in the job opening, and please do not keep twisting the candidate's resume even though I have explained it to many times.

Interview Questions

• Why did you borrow a book from the library but not buying it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at M&T Bank in July 2016.

Interview

The phone interview was only 5 minutes, which was very unusual for me. The face-to-face interview was with the branch manager of the branch I would be working at. It was very low key and they just went over the expectations of the position and the staff model. I felt very comfortable and not nervous at all.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why are you leaving your current job? Why are you applying for this position?   Answer Question

Senior Customer Service Representative Interview

Interview

Applied online 5/25/16
    Phone interview 5/27/16
    F2F interview 6/2/16
    Job Offer 6/2/16

The whole process was easy going and fantastic. Online application filled out. I received an email thanking me for my application. I received a phone call 2 days later for a phone interview that went well. About 20 mins long with some behavioral questions and going over my resume. Then the F2F interview lasted about an hour. I interviewed 2 days later with the hiring manager and manager of the whole department. I was called later in the day with a job offer. The only reason I declined was due to a job I was offered that was providing more money.

Not enough money.

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at M&T Bank (Buffalo, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online a week after I received a phone call and an email from HR asking to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for the next day. The woman on the phone was very nice. We went over my resume and she asked some behavioral questions, the phone interview lasted about 15 minutes. She told me I was going to be contacted by a manager to schedule a face to face interview asap. Well 3 weeks later I received an email saying that the position has been cancelled due to some change in department staffing and they are no longer interviewing candidates for this position. This is very unprofessional I feel like I wasted my time with this company.

Relationship Banker I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at M&T Bank (Silver Spring, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online on Sunday received call from HR on Tuesday morning to schedule phone interview and she schedule phone interview next day morning. She move me to next interview with branch manager. I went for my interview at branch I applied to, manager was really good she ask me about my previous job experience

Interview Questions

• few questions about my previous job experience, education background?
      how many years of experience I have in customer service?
      Retail banking experience?
      It was easy and straight forward.
      Answer Question

Relationship Liaison II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in York, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at M&T Bank (York, PA) in June 2016.

Interview

Two female managers: direct over this role and her boss, a regional Director/VP, interviewed me at a local branch office. It was a fairly casual conversation. We talked about my banking experience. No behavioral based questions which I found odd, especially for the banking world. They discussed the position's duties and training involved which entailed shadowing experienced liaisons in local regions. The senior manager asked one question that surprised me and was off-putting, coming from her level. My background includes varied experience with management and interviewing applicants and I was trained to recognize illegal interview questions. To top it all off, I was declined for this position two days later! I suspect it was either because I was overqualified, a little late, or they found someone better qualified. Who knows?

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheektowaga, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at M&T Bank (Cheektowaga, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

They interview you over the phone by HR, then they bring you in for a face to face interview by the hiring manager(s). The question are pretty straightforward although the accent on some of the managers make it difficult to understand them. Then you wait for some correspondence from them and it never comes. Very unprofessional.

Facility Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at M&T Bank (Buffalo, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone interview with the recruiter which was a very pleasant experience. The next step was a formal, five person panel interview plus an interview with the Senior Vice President. It was a very relaxed yet professional process. They all asked me to explain certain parts of my past experience that would qualify me as a good fit for this position. They were all very receptive of the questions I had for them in regard to the position, as well.

Interview Questions

• What past experience makes you qualified for this role?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at M&T Bank.

Interview

I first had a phone screening interview (~25 min); it was relatively easy and there were no hard questions or anything too specific. I was then offered a second interview about a week and a half later that was more targeted to the position. It lasted about 50 minutes and I was asked pretty basic questions pertaining to my experience and skills relating to the position requirements.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were in a position of leadership.

Describe a time you completed an analysis/project and recommended actions based on your findings.

Describe why you would be a good fit for this position.

What about this position interests you?
      Answer Question

Executive Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at M&T Bank (Buffalo, NY).

Interview

Not overly structured, very fit oriented. Liked their style, great fit for me. Do prepare in background if company under mr wilmers' tenure. Have answers formulated for why M&t and why buffalo, most people aren't looking to relocate to buffalo so it's a fair question.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't bother to negotiate but I think there may have Ben a little room