MAC Cosmetics Freelance Makeup Artist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MAC Cosmetics Freelance Makeup Artist Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2017.

Interview

1st interview - job fair, waited on line for no longer than 2 hours. If you made it they gave you an envelope to 2nd & 3rd interview.
2nd&3rd- was group interview & makeup application. They ask to bring model, they switch up the models once you are there. They EXPECT you to do EXACTLY as your client wants. Even as ridicoules request as it is. Only used 5 brushes. Was difficult to find products since the girls would take off rack. I had only 30 mins to do cut crease with minimum tools.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MAC Cosmetics

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process went incredibly smooth! I got lucky and had a good interview process. I went in extremely nervous but if you have a good general background knowledge of the company and its products, then you should be good. Make sure you know a good amount of information about the MAC products though.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of question about the company itself such as favorite products, the HIV cause   1 Answer

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

I had heard the stories and was prepared for anything. It just all depends on who the person who's interviewing you is and their personality. My interview was very super smooth I went on a Tuesday and it wasn't busy at all. The RM who interviewed me asked me a couple of questions on the company and myself and then we went to the makeup application interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Mac? Can you tell me some of our programs and how they contribute to the community? What's your favorite Mac product and why? How would you describe Mac Cosmetics to others?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayward, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Hayward, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Group interview of 12. Two interviewers. Very fun and vibrant. A little intense. Lots of questions...interview takes two days be prepared. Be sure to coe i all black. Fullface of makeup and bring pictures of your work on other persons

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2016.

Interview

Emailed them my resume. Got a call to set up an interview a couple days later. I thought the in person interview went very well. She told me the store manager would call me back next week for the makeup test. It's been over a month and I haven't heard anything back from them, not even a rejection email. I've called several times and the manager is never available or they just give me the run around. Extremely unprofessional! At least tell people when they haven't been selected to move forward, don't waste our time.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were helping a customer and another customer walked in the store while everyone else was busy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

I called and asked if I could have an interview and manager agreed to have it same day. I had already dropped my resume off the weekend before but manager wasn't there.

Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Brandon, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

First I brought my resume into the store and spoke with the manager. Gave a brief summary of my skills. Not long after I got a call to set up an interview. The first was a general interview with retail questions, experience questions, MAC knowledge. The second interview was a makeup application. Always dress for success, be on time. Know MAC history and mission statement. Be prepared for your makeup application of interview. They provided the makeup and brushes. Know proper sanitation.

Interview Questions

• How would you juggle multiple customers at a time?   1 Answer

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Interviewed in group, then individual makeup test using MAC products. Was brought into a room with Manager and assistant manager, and asked to perform a makeup application. It's important to meet requirements, use viva glam, tie products together, prep, prime, and apply. The process was a little nerve reaching, but all in all went well.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about MAC?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Elmhurst, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

I was part of a "job fair" which means they invite 20+ people to interview at the same time, I was sat a table and interviewed while about 5-10 other interviews were simultaneously occurring. I was then told that I would get a call back within a week for a second interview. 3 weeks later I received a phone call and my second interview was scheduled for a week after that. The second interview was a "makeup interview" in which i was required to do a natural daytime look within 30 minutes, this was fairly easy and laid back. I suspect I got lucky with the woman who interviewed me because others who worked there were fairly intimidating for a new artist.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for MAC? What makes MAC different than other cosmetic brands? Why do you want to be a Makeup Artist? Do you have retail experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Beverly Hills, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I literally walked in on a Monday and gave my resume to another MUA who informed me that she would have the manager call and they did 2 days later. There was a face to face, one on one, with the manager, hiring manager & myself that same Friday.

I could tell from the vibe that they liked me because I was myself, I know how to talk to people and was honest about my passion for my craft. I was informed then that I'd be doing a makeup application interview and it was scheduled for that Sunday. I arrived 15 minutes prior to the interview to show punctuality. I was given 5 minutes to gather all products for my makeup application and then allowed 30 minutes to complete an entire makeup application from start to finish; lashes included. During this time you are being graded and evaluated for sanitation, your ability to interact with the customer via education, selecting proper colors for the "'where they're going' scenario" and proper application techniques, and of course ensuring the client knows what you're using and how to use it in an effort to close sales on items they may not have, because this is still ultimately- a sales position.

After this was complete, my model was asked to be seated in the front for about 15 minutes and during that time she critiqued my application of the makeup and gave me feedback on what can be improved upon... Note::: You MUST be open to constructive criticism in the BEAUTY industry. If you are not a fan of being informed or taught how to do things better or in a different way, you're setting yourself up for failure. Upon finishing informing me of the few things I needed to improve on, which were easily correctable and more like tips. She then informed me that they had thought I'd be an excellent addition to their team as soon as they interviewed me Friday; however, this part is a must and the fact that my models makeup overall looked great- that she would like to offer me a freelance position. My process timeline and a direct one on one is probably one that is slightly unlikely as they normally collect resumes then send an 'open call' invite to those which stand out... then they go through group interviews and have to swap models etc...

My story is indeed enough to be a little jelly of *lol* But you've got to be an individual, bubbly and willing to learn, put that leg work in, ensure you're on point, ensure you've practiced making up faces in short period of time, be impeccably dressed, and ultimately- professional.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for M.A.C.?   1 Answer
    • What Do you Know about M.A.C.?   1 Answer