MAC Cosmetics Freelance Makeup Artist Interview Questions

Updated Nov 21, 2019

To filter interviews, or .
Found 61 of over 452 interviews

Recruiter3%
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at MAC Cosmetics

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Calgary, AB) in Apr 2019

Interview

I received an email a few days after applying to submit an online interview. If you pass that part , you then come in for a 30 minute makeup test where you are required to bring in your owl model. These are usually done in a group environment then we had one on one interviews with the management team. I was later given a call on whether or not I received the job. I found the group part very awkward, you are supposed to talk to the model you brought in as if they are a client while managers walk around and listen to you while providing feedback. I found the feedback I was receiving was negative which dampened my confidence for the one on one part.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer, how did you do it?
    Answer Question
  • What are your skills?

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Boston, MA) in Mar 2019

Interview

I applied online and instantly got a digital interview. I had 5 days to submit my interview. 3 weeks later I got a call asking to come in for both a speaking interview and a makeup application. 2 days after the call I came in with my model which I was required to bring for my interview. The interview seemed to have gone really well and I was told I’d receive a call the upcoming Monday. Today is that Monday and I never received a call. I will wait a couple days and then will call if I don’t here anything. Update: a couple days after I hadn’t gotten any call, I had gotten a call from the manager I had done my interview with. She had appologized for getting back to me later than expected due to being really busy at the store and had offered me a job!

Interview Questions
  • Do you understand/ are aware of what a freelance position is?

MAC Cosmetics

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics

Interview

I did another MUA’s make up for 30 minutes while my manager watched. After the 30 she asked me what I would do if I had a few extra minutes left.. I then added a few things and she took me in the back to review the model.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2018

Interview

First off, the ladies who were facilitating the interview were nice but because the second portion of the interview is held within a group setting, it’s almost impossible for them to actually get to know you. Most of the time, they would pick people to answer questions and then when it’s your turn, most have already said what you were going to say. They put you in with a group of sharks and you feel a little out of place because you would like to answer but really don’t get your turn. Also, they totally lagged and we were behind almost an hour. To top it off you need to bring your own model for the makeup application only to have them switch models on you. After that, they give you 30 mins to do an entire look which includes face and eyes specifically on the current trend in makeup. Once that time is up, they come one by one and critique your work. Thankfully they had nothing negative to say about my techniques and one of the facilitators loved my work and said “beautifully done”. Unfortunately, they didn’t hire me as there were others who actually got the chance to answer questions during the first half of the interview. Note: I don’t think they care if you know how to apply makeup and sanitize your products properly. They just care about the answers you provide. Be prepared to be a shark in that group otherwise they’ll disregard you regardless of how well your makeup application is on the model you’re working on.

Interview Questions
  • What is the most conflicting customer and how did you handle that scenario?
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linköping

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Linköping) in Apr 2018

Interview

I was just walking around the store and asked them if they had any available job and the manager said that yes they actually need someone right now so she gave me her email and I sent her my CV, they contacted me within 3 weeks maybe. I was asked to dressed all black and to bring my own model for a verbal and makeup skills interview, they asked me to apply a simple, everyday makeup and gave me 30min to do it.

Interview Questions
  • Talk about your background in Makeup and how did you learn your skills.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Tampa, FL) in Feb 2018

Interview

The first interview was basically getting to know me and me getting to know the company history. After passing that I moved on to a makeup interview where I had to show my skills. Process took 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Lubbock, TX) in Jan 2018

Interview

Went in store to give the manager my resume, was invited to fill out an application online as well. The next day I received an email inviting me to do an online interview. A week after submitting my online interview, I got a call inviting me to do a makeup application and verbal interview. The next day I was offered the job!

Interview Questions
11 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Milwaukee, WI) in Nov 2017

Interview

First interview was in store with 2 people. Super easy if you have cosmetic experience. Wear all black and be yourself. If they like you you get a 2nd interview which is the makeup application part. You bring a model & I was given 45 mins to recreate a look they choose for you to do. Then same day I got call offering the position!

Interview Questions
  • What are some open ended questions you would ask a customer who comes in to get her makeup done?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2017

Interview

1st interview - job fair, waited on line for no longer than 2 hours. If you made it they gave you an envelope to 2nd & 3rd interview. 2nd&3rd- was group interview & makeup application. They ask to bring model, they switch up the models once you are there. They EXPECT you to do EXACTLY as your client wants. Even as ridicoules request as it is. Only used 5 brushes. Was difficult to find products since the girls would take off rack. I had only 30 mins to do cut crease with minimum tools.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Washington, DC) in Jan 2017

Interview

The interview process went incredibly smooth! I got lucky and had a good interview process. I went in extremely nervous but if you have a good general background knowledge of the company and its products, then you should be good. Make sure you know a good amount of information about the MAC products though.

Interview Questions
  • They asked a lot of question about the company itself such as favorite products, the HIV cause
2 people found this interview helpful