MAC Cosmetics Freelance Makeup Artist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MAC Cosmetics Freelance Makeup Artist Interview Questions

Interviews at MAC Cosmetics

Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Tallahassee, FL) in August 2015.

Interview

I went in person and spoke to the manager with my resume and portfolio and she said she would call back within a week. Two days later I got a call from the 3rd key to set up my first interview: the makeup demo. I went in and brought a model, when I got there 1 other girl was waiting there with her model. They gave us about 10 minutes to look around and get comfortable with where the products were at. Then they gave us instructions about sanitation and some tips about what to talk about with our models. They told us what looks we were going to be doing and gave us 5 min to gather products and 45 min to execute the look. Afterwards the 3rd key asked how I thought I did and gave me one critique and gave me the opportunity to correct it. They said I should give it about a week to hear back from the manager. Exactly a week went by and I didn't hear back so I called to speak to the manager and she invited me back for my final interview. I went in for my final interview 1 on 1 with the manager and at the end of the interview she offered me a freelance/on-call position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to mac? Why this location specifically?   Answer Question
  • What got you started doing makeup?   Answer Question
  • What is your 2 year plan? 5 year plan?   Answer Question
  • What would you do if your coworker was being mean to you and you are a new employee needing help?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MAC Cosmetics

Anonymous Employee in Lake Grove, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Lake Grove, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

first you hand in a resume and or porfolio as well as an application then you move on to an interviewing process that consists of doing a makeup application and doing a verbal interview where they ask you questions about product knowledge and come in dressed in all black. okay

Interview Questions

• "I'm looking for foundation.. help me."   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Hartford, CT) in September 2015.

Interview

Know your products! Study your products. Make sure you understand which products would be better for oily, or dry skin, waterproof, dewy, etc. Research any new products. SANITIZE!!! If you touch your face, resanitize, if you drop something don't use it. Basic sanitary procedures. Although it's nerve racking and you're going to be nervous, be confident! If you are confident, you'll do fine. Also, for your makeup interview, inform the person on MAC programs! Big plus!

Interview Questions

• Why MAC?   Answer Question
    • Mostly just watching me work and listening to see if I knew my products, and offering advice where needed   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Atlanta, GA) in August 2015.

Interview

I received a call that I had gotten an interview 2 months after I had applied. She brief be on what I needed for the makeover portion. When I got to the interview I was prepared with both my resume and portfolio and prepared to answer any questions but we just went straight to the makeup test. They made me switch models with other interviewee and Gave 5 minutes to grab products and 25 minutes to do models face.

They gave us critiques and 10 extra minutes to fix any mistakes.

Interview Questions

• Do you see anything wrong that you feel needs to be fixed?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

You speak with hiring manager about yourself, experience, and goals. The follow-up interview is a makeup application, and you may have another interview after depending on location.

They look for you to look very stylish in your all-Black attire, as the culture is very much rooted in being the makeup authority and by curating trends.

They also look for a desire to not only be a makeup artist, but to learn the business and develop your craft and skill as well as learn from and teach fellow artists. There has to be willingness to become a better artist, no matter how good you already are.

You also need to be sales-literate, and know how to sell a product, because that is ultimately the point of the position-to sell makeup.

Make sure not to sound arrogant in your ability, but make sure you sound confident in both sales and artist ability!

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Richmond, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very laid back and comfortable. The manager and one other employee was present. They started by reviewing the two different types of Freelance Artist categories. Tier 1 freelancers have been with the company for a little while, they always show up on time, are eager and ready to do anything that is thrown at them, and they always dress well. These are the freelancers that mainly get called. A Tier 2 freelancer is someone that has just been hired, an employee that does not always answer their phone to work, does not accept offer to work, or they are not reliable at the counter. Tier 2 freelances get the leftover hours from the Tier 1s. They then asked me a series of interview questions, none about the history, though you should definitely know it, and then she immediately said she wanted to schedule the second demo interview.

ONE TIP: ABSOLUTELY KNOW WHAT CLIENTELE YOUR SPECIFIC COUNTER CATERS TO!!!! IF YOU HAVE A COUNTER THAT MAINLY SELLS TO OLDER, CAREER WOMEN GO IN WITH THE BEST NEUTRAL SMOKEY EYE YOU CAN DO AND HAVE THE MOST IMMACULATE FACE ON! DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GO IN WITH SOME CRAZY GREEN AND BLUE OR RIDICULOUSLY DARK SMOKEY EYE AND RED LIPS IF THAT IS NOT THE MAKEUP YOUR COUNTER DOES ON A DAILY BASIS!!!

The demo interview was about a month after my initial interview due to the availability of the Regional Trainer. I was told to bring a model and to bring my brushes and that I will have 30 minutes to complete a look. This was standard so I was ramped up and ready to go. I brought my mom and the trainer told us we had 30 minutes to do a work look that was beautiful and blended and most of all natural looking. She told us absolutely no Instagram brows! We had a few minutes to gather our products from the counter but it wasn't timed. The brushes were actually provided and we only had 5, which of course weren't the 5 I needed but they wanted to see how well we'd work with what we got. She then skimmed through sanitation and then we began. I took the time to make sure my model was holding the mirror, though without her glasses she couldn't see, but it was still important that she was holding it so she could look at what I was doing. There was also one bottle of alcohol to share between myself and the other girl doing her demo interview. I made sure also that I was explaining everything I was doing and not including too much small talk. I was nervous as heck of course but you have to be confident the entire time. The other girl interviewing was just chatting on and on about nonsense... Don't do this... I made sure I was finished two minutes before the allotted 30 minute time limit and the trainer told me to wait for the other girl to finish. She finished 5 minutes over the time limit... again, don't do this. After we were both finished we cleaned up our stations then the trainer tweaked our looks. She lined outside of my model's lips, which my model wasn't happy about, and the trainer was ok with that but added it to show the model what it would look like.

Once we had both been critiqued the trainer pulled us aside individually and told us what she thought. She was absolutely amazing and told me how well I did and that I was exactly what this counter was missing. I almost died... She said she'd tell the counter manager what she thought and that I'd be hearing from the manager soon.

About a week later I got a call from the manager and she said that the trainer was so impressed by me! SHE OFFERED ME A PART TIME POSITION AND LET ME PICK FROM 24, 20, OR 15 HOURS! I took the 20 hours because I'm only available 4 days out of the week BUT I AM SO EXCITED!!!

Interview Questions

• If you could pick a team of your own to work at your own personal counter, what qualities would you look for in the people that you hire?   Answer Question
    • What makeup experience do you have?   Answer Question
    • How did you resolve a conflict with a coworker?   Answer Question
    • How did you handle a rude customer?   Answer Question
    • What would you say to persuade a customer, to pick a better item, that has picked out a product that will not suit them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in South Portland, ME

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (South Portland, ME) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone interview first followed by a makeup application where I was required to bring in a model. I was asked to do a daytime look and then bump it up to a night time look. I had one hour.

Interview Questions

• Why MAC rather than another company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New Haven, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Very positive, non-judge mental, encouraging and appropriate to the position I was applying for. The first step was to demonstrate my skills and how I would interact with clients. The second part of the interview was verbal. The questions were challenging because they require self awareness in knowing your strengths and the areas you want to improve upon.

Interview Questions

• What are my strengths?   1 Answer
    • What would I like to improve upon?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Of course, we all want more. We have to keep a realistic view of matters, we may be skilled but there is so much to working retail cosmetics than just knowing how to apply makeup. First and foremost, I didn't bring up, I waited for the manager interviewing me to first....offer me a position on her team and second for her to bring up rate of pay. So, when asked what I had in mind for $$ I turned it on her and asked what do you typically start people with my experience with? And took it from there. I was surprised at the offer it was a little lower than what I wanted to accept, but I kept in that I still had a lot to learn for the position I was applying for. I also kept in mind the potential for growth within the company. For me it was also about doing what I love, more than the money.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Did a group interview more 1 on 1 but next to other ppl. Passed the verbal and came back same day few hours later for makeover. I was told beforehand to have a model on standby and bring brushes. After a few hours we came back at scheduled time and switched up models and did a day look with a transition to night. The model I thought I was doing became someone else's model. They switched em on us to see our comfort level. They told the models what to tell us although we didn't know that at first. Every artist in the company had a different tryout. They switch it up so your never prepared of what to expect. We had 30 min from start to finish to get makeup and apply a full face of day to night. Each artist had a manger stand next to em and watch like a hawk. Other mangers walked around to watch and grade. They look at your application, techniques, your area needs to be clean and no double dipping products! Be prepared to work when you pull the makeup at start time get EVERYTHING at once so your not running around back and fourth. They watch to see your thought process of how prepared you can get in a crunch time.

Interview Questions

• What is Viva Glam for MAC?   1 Answer
    • What does M.A.C stand for?   1 Answer
    • What's the difference between NC and NW?   2 Answers
    • Who started MAC and where did it start?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No its $14 for for your on call hours. If you do special events it's $15 an hour.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Houston, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

First you have a sit down interview with a store or counter manager, if you pass you then have a makeup application interview with another manager, if you pass that, you then have a 2nd makeup application interview with the district manager. If they all approve, you're hired. (You're expected to bring in your own models for this. And will have a Day/Natural look which you'll have to transform into an Evening/Dramatic look.)