MAC Cosmetics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MAC Cosmetics Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2017

3.1

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Spoken group interview followed by a practical makeup application. The interview was fairly casual and focused on our personal connection to MAC (lots of "why MAC" questions) and our approach to customer service/selling product. It was a bit difficult at first because of the group setting, as you had to compete a bit either other applicants to speak (people are AGRESSIVE). You will need to fight a little to be heard, however don't be the person who jumps down the interviewer's threat every time she asks a questions, it comes off as obnoxious. I tried to alternate between answering first or second, and waiting for the other applicants to speak. Also, be humble; some of the other people being interviewed were super cocky and basically refused to admit anything less than perfection (when asked what you would do if a customer didn't like the makeup look you'd done on them, one person responded with complete shock and said "Wow, that's never happened to me before, everyone always loves when I do their makeup!" and focused more on how great she is rather than answering the question-- the interviewer was not impressed). Be assertive, but humble and show your willingness to die and improve, as well as a love for the compmahu and knowledge of what makes MAC unique.
    For the practical makeup application, we were given a different model than the person we brought so the interviewees could see how we interacted with and work on someone we'd never met before. We were given 30 minutes to give the model a natural makeup look with neutral eyes and a subtle lip that enhanced the client's features and a winged liner if we had time. After the 30 minutes were up, we were given a critique and then had an extra 5 minutes to improve our looks-- I was given positive feedback so instead of asking me to improve, I was asked to build the makeup into a night look by adding a dark lip and intensifying the eye. Other interviewees were given advice on how to improve and asked to correct certain things in the extra 5 minutes, such as blending out the shadow more, redoing the liner, softening the brows, etc. The MAC artist who was evaluating us walked around and watched each of us work through the application portion, often giving advice. Definitely be passionate about MAC and knowledgeable about the company during the interview, and during the practical, be sure to talk to your model and explain what you're doing, make conversation, etc. (most common feedback to other interviewees was to talk more, and the interviewer praised me a lot on my interactions with the model), keep your station neat, and of course be able to actually finish your look in time following the instructions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job?   1 Answer
    • What specific thing about MAC excites you?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 10 years, assuming you get this job? What is your goal at MAC?   1 Answer
    • Let's say a client is having a bad day and is unhappy with the makeup and being rude. What do you do?   1 Answer
    • At MAC we offer seminars for our artists so they can learn new skills and trends. What would you like one of these training sessions to be focused on?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Third Key Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (San Antonio, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

Easy. Prepped in a basic way. Interviewers were kind. About an hour long. General questions as well as company relevant questions. Interviewed with SM and ASM. Action plan required. Phone interview

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2017.

Interview

1st interview - job fair, waited on line for no longer than 2 hours. If you made it they gave you an envelope to 2nd & 3rd interview.
    2nd&3rd- was group interview & makeup application. They ask to bring model, they switch up the models once you are there. They EXPECT you to do EXACTLY as your client wants. Even as ridicoules request as it is. Only used 5 brushes. Was difficult to find products since the girls would take off rack. I had only 30 mins to do cut crease with minimum tools.

Permanent Artist and Management Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Internal candidates submit email to corporate postings site. Submit a resume and a plan of action tailored to the needs of the site in which you are applying. Interview with the MRO and Site Manager.

Interview Questions

• How do you plan to positively affect the deficit?   1 Answer

Emailed Human Resources Mac Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (El Paso, TX).

Interview

sent an email was invited to meet at job fair, type thing, there was tons of girls. they interviewed there if you passed they asked you to come the next day. The next day was the makeup application, where they asked you to do a certain look.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite MAC product?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Wilmington, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview and then unperson interview. did phone interview and waited a week for a follow up. drove 1.5 hours to do a face to face to find out they weren't even hiring only looking to see whats out there. a big waste of a saturday

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work at mac?   2 Answers

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process went incredibly smooth! I got lucky and had a good interview process. I went in extremely nervous but if you have a good general background knowledge of the company and its products, then you should be good. Make sure you know a good amount of information about the MAC products though.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of question about the company itself such as favorite products, the HIV cause   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

I had heard the stories and was prepared for anything. It just all depends on who the person who's interviewing you is and their personality. My interview was very super smooth I went on a Tuesday and it wasn't busy at all. The RM who interviewed me asked me a couple of questions on the company and myself and then we went to the makeup application interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Mac? Can you tell me some of our programs and how they contribute to the community? What's your favorite Mac product and why? How would you describe Mac Cosmetics to others?   2 Answers

Manager of Retail Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was with the brand for 10 years and left for a short period of time. When I was interested in returning I partnered with HR and was recommended to interview for the MRO position. I met with the executive director who had previously worked with me.

Interview Questions

• What I had learned while away from the brand in my new position?   Answer Question
    • What did I feel MAC's biggest opportunity as an outsider is?   Answer Question
    • What does communication with team look like and how often?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Las Vegas, NV) in September 2016.

Interview

There was a meet and greet being held at the pro store. Everyone had to wait their turn the line moved slow then it began to pick up. I was there for maybe two hours standing in line. Get there early

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for mac   1 Answer
    • What product do you like the most   1 Answer
    • What would you bring to the MAC team   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions for me   1 Answer