MAC Cosmetics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

3.1

MAC Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied on zip recruter and i went to meet in the downtown office for an interview i got schedueled for the makeup interview i got the job a week later just remember eveyone has a different expiriance and make sure your model has waxed eyebrows i thought i was going to be doing aomeone else but i dint and also i thought you have to being your brushes but they choose them for you

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you in a situation whwre there was only 2 employess in a store and you had traffic in your store   Answer Question

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

It was like interviewing for a government position. I had to meet with managers multiple times, and do a demo. It was a long process and a bit over the top, but it was a dream to work for the company so it was worth it to me. You need to have an in-depth knowledge of the company history and values. You also need to be able to execute your demo in a timely manner. Sales experience is a must since this position is mostly sales, not just artistry. You need to be able to handle a high-stress face pace work environment. Be sure to mention that you are capable of this in the interview.

MAC Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

The hiring process took over 5 months for a permanent 24 hour artist. It consisted of one regular interview, a makeup interview, and a phone interview. Everyone there was really nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult situation with a co-worker and how did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Tell us what you know about the MAC viva glam foundation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation.

Freelance MAC Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Greensboro, NC) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview was great. They ask you questions of course so it definitely helps to be knowledgable about the company. And some freelance positions will have you do makeup as the first interview so be ready for that.

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

First I had a very short phone screening that took about 10 minute. Then for a makeup application, I was asked to brought someone as a model, i was given 30 minutes to do a model's makeup, then timed again to add something to her makeup to create a night look. The manager took notes and took pictures. Then I had a phone interview with a hiring manager, a phone interview with a floor manager, and finally a phone interview with a mac person.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy, I started out as a freelancer job opened up and I got it. You need to know how to do makeup that's a must. Always wear black and look like you love makeup

Interview Questions

• How long are you looking to stay with the company?   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Interviewed in group, then individual makeup test using MAC products. Was brought into a room with Manager and assistant manager, and asked to perform a makeup application. It's important to meet requirements, use viva glam, tie products together, prep, prime, and apply. The process was a little nerve reaching, but all in all went well.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about MAC?   1 Answer

Freelance Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Denver, CO) in December 2015.

Interview

Very quick and to the point, they want to know how much you know about the company. That part is really important. Make sure you know the mission statement, about the Viva Glam project, & back to MAC. & any other information is always good to know as well.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Elmhurst, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

I was part of a "job fair" which means they invite 20+ people to interview at the same time, I was sat a table and interviewed while about 5-10 other interviews were simultaneously occurring. I was then told that I would get a call back within a week for a second interview. 3 weeks later I received a phone call and my second interview was scheduled for a week after that. The second interview was a "makeup interview" in which i was required to do a natural daytime look within 30 minutes, this was fairly easy and laid back. I suspect I got lucky with the woman who interviewed me because others who worked there were fairly intimidating for a new artist.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for MAC? What makes MAC different than other cosmetic brands? Why do you want to be a Makeup Artist? Do you have retail experience.   Answer Question

Mac Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Torrance, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

There was a two part interview. Everyone's experience is different!!!!!! Part one was a very informal face to face interview. I was actually scouted for this position (I walked into the store and they approached me about working for Mac based on how I looked). I was asked to drop off my resume and I did the very next day. I had my "interview" in the back room with the hiring manager. We mostly laughed and talked. She asked me a few questions. Nothing crazy. I had on my all black and a very beat face.

Part two of the interview was the makeup application. I was interviewed at the store and not at corporate (which most artists are. God really blessed me with this one). I brought my model and brushes, the manager gave me a look and a time limit and I had to perform. I was VERY nervous!!! I dropped nearly everything because my hands were shaking badly. I didn't do the look that she asked for, but the manager taught me a lot even at the interview. By that time I had only did makeup for friends, family and a few clients. I also worked for a smaller cosmetics brand that focused on skincare, so Mac was very different.

At the end of it all, although my makeup was not what she originally requested, -and I didn't even finish, I GOT THE JOB!!!!

Best advice: be confident, open minded and know the store products! The worst thing you can do is over prepare because Mac has a lot of tricks up their sleeves when it comes to interviews done at corporate.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability?   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to quit your current cosmetics job?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Mac?   Answer Question
    • What kind of client are you most afraid to sit in your chair? i.e. Mature skin? Client with vitiligo? Certain skin color, types or textures?   Answer Question