MAC Cosmetics Makeup Artist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MAC Cosmetics Makeup Artist Interview Questions

Updated Jan 26, 2017

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Wilmington, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview and then unperson interview. did phone interview and waited a week for a follow up. drove 1.5 hours to do a face to face to find out they weren't even hiring only looking to see whats out there. a big waste of a saturday

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work at mac?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for MAC Cosmetics

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Las Vegas, NV) in September 2016.

Interview

There was a meet and greet being held at the pro store. Everyone had to wait their turn the line moved slow then it began to pick up. I was there for maybe two hours standing in line. Get there early

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for mac   1 Answer
    • What product do you like the most   1 Answer
    • What would you bring to the MAC team   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions for me   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Las Vegas, NV) in September 2016.

Interview

Day 1. The Mac Make up Artist Casting Call was at a Pro Store. Very Long Line which moved very slow. I arrived an hour late and waited in line for 5 hours with only 16 people in front of me. If given an offer letter you are asked to attend day 2 of the casting call.
    Day 2. You are to bring a model which you will not be using your model because they make you switch models with someone else. You will have to do makeup on your new model with the makeup products provided to you by Mac and you will only have 30min to complete your look. Be sure to provide the exact look your model is requesting. This is not a time to show off and impress the judges by doing your own thing. Mac wants to make sure you cater to their customers needs so be sure to treat your model as if they are the customer. Keep you work station clean and organized at all times and talk to your model. Tell them what you are doing to their face as you do it. Get to know them on a personal level and try to sell them the products you are using. If you can make them want to buy the products and get them to like the way you used it on them you should be able to get the job.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience in sales?   2 Answers
    • Are you Certified/Do you have a diploma in Makeup Artistry or a cosmetology license?   2 Answers
    • Why do you want to work for Mac and What can you bring to the Mac family?   1 Answer
    • How would you make a Mac customer feel welcomed in one of our stores?   Answer Question
    • What's one word that describes why you are here and one word to describe yourself?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New Orleans, LA).

Interview

Interview consisted of both a verbal question sit down interview and a makeup interview that I was asked to bring a model. I was interviewing with a group so they had us switch models. So be ready for that.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

The process took about 2 months from the time i applied to when i got the job. i saw the vacancy on Zip recruiter.....applied and got called for the first interview.
    My second interview was about 2weeks later for the makeup interview.....came with a model, who was switched.
    My third is with one of the keys at the branch i was going to start with.

The whole experience was good, so i advice do your research (Did alot of that on glassdoor), be calm so you can remember your points and smile.

Interview Questions

• what are your strength?
      How to handle mis-understanding in a group.
      Plus other questions written on this site already.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

It was good and easy.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

So this was a very lengthy process. I sent the manager my resume, she called me maybe a month later and asked me to come into for an interview. I interviewed with her and the assistant manager and the vibe was great. I was nervous about going in there but they made me feel so comfortable. They said they would be in contact with me and I should hear from them soon. I waited like 2 weeks maybe more before they asked me to come in for my makeup interview. That was the scariest thing ever. I got the impression that they were going to tell me what kind of look they wanted. I also thought they would briefly explain how they sanitize their tools and products. But they didn't but it was okay because a lot of the employees helped me before and during. I messed up on a few things during that makeup interview but she gave be feedback and I was very open to that! All in all I passed the makeup interview. So after that I was supposed to meet with the store director but that never happened. Maybe a month later, after calling and having them tell me to call back another day and calling and having them tell me to call another day I FINALLY got a job offer. One thing I took with me while going through this that everyone says is that the hiring process takes FOREVER!!! Seriously! I've heard it take longer with other people so I'm blessed! Lol

One thing I will say is DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! Know everything you can about the company!!!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiations, I loved the offer.

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

It was like interviewing for a government position. I had to meet with managers multiple times, and do a demo. It was a long process and a bit over the top, but it was a dream to work for the company so it was worth it to me. You need to have an in-depth knowledge of the company history and values. You also need to be able to execute your demo in a timely manner. Sales experience is a must since this position is mostly sales, not just artistry. You need to be able to handle a high-stress face pace work environment. Be sure to mention that you are capable of this in the interview.

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

First I had a very short phone screening that took about 10 minute. Then for a makeup application, I was asked to brought someone as a model, i was given 30 minutes to do a model's makeup, then timed again to add something to her makeup to create a night look. The manager took notes and took pictures. Then I had a phone interview with a hiring manager, a phone interview with a floor manager, and finally a phone interview with a mac person.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy, I started out as a freelancer job opened up and I got it. You need to know how to do makeup that's a must. Always wear black and look like you love makeup

Interview Questions

• How long are you looking to stay with the company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

It was a rather easy process. First, I went in to inquire about any opportunities at the counter and brought my resume to leave with the store manager. I applied instantly. 1 weeks later I had my in-person interview, which involved me bringing a model for a full sit-down makeup application. After, She critiqued my work and ended up loving the end result!

Interview Questions

• why do I want to work for MAC?
      what's the company motto?
      Tell me about our products...
      1 Answer

Negotiation

Study the company and the products. be familiar with the products and their intended use. be confident and go in with your head held high.