MAC Cosmetics Makeup Artist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MAC Cosmetics Makeup Artist Interview Questions

Interviews at MAC Cosmetics

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Miami, FL) in November 2009.

Interview

I listened to the automated phone postings for several different locations, and called ahead to the one nearest me. I was scheduled to come in for a verbal interview, and a few days later I was scheduled to bring my model and do makeup on her. A few days after that, I was notified that I had received the position.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if I were to pair you up to work on a project with a coworker whom you didn't like?   3 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. She told me what I was to be paid hourly and that was the end of it really.

Other Interview Reviews for MAC Cosmetics

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Anaheim, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Got referred to do apply by a Mac employee. So I went to the caterer fair in Anaheim. First "interview" I guess was just a meet and greet and if they liked you then you move on to the next step which is bringing in a model to demo your makeup skills. There was about 15 people and it was just one group interview. And they asked basic questions. We went around and gave a brief into about our selves. Then had 5 min to choose what products we needed for out models and 30 min to apply the makeup. After that, they come around and critique/evaluate you; it was very intomidating. We had to provide out own brushes. They told us if we don't hear back in the ext 2 weeks then we are more than welcome to re apply...I'm just crossing my fingers an pray I get that call back!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Mac?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy, I started out as a freelancer job opened up and I got it. You need to know how to do makeup that's a must. Always wear black and look like you love makeup

Interview Questions

• How long are you looking to stay with the company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

The process took about 2 months from the time i applied to when i got the job. i saw the vacancy on Zip recruiter.....applied and got called for the first interview.
    My second interview was about 2weeks later for the makeup interview.....came with a model, who was switched.
    My third is with one of the keys at the branch i was going to start with.

The whole experience was good, so i advice do your research (Did alot of that on glassdoor), be calm so you can remember your points and smile.

Interview Questions

• what are your strength?
      How to handle mis-understanding in a group.
      Plus other questions written on this site already.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was good and easy.

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in February 2013.

Interview

I went to a Cosmetics Career Fair, found out through friend and it was also on Craigslist (look out for them, ladies;p) Waited in the longest line ever-took about three hours. Sat down with the hiring manager, she asked me the typical questions "Why M.A.C? What do you know about our company? What is your availability?" It took a total of 5 minutes. She loved me and invited me back for a group interview and makeup demo. Gave me the application to fill out and the M.A.C invite to come back.

Came back the next day. Had a group interview, it SUCKED ...... for me at least. They went around one by one asked us to introduce ourselves. Then if we wanted permanent part-time or freelance. Then asked what inspired our Makeup look that we had on. It was an hour long.

We went on to the Makeup Demo. They switched models on us and asked us to ask them what makes them feel beautiful and to apply that Makeup look on our "customer". We had 30 minutes. And that is that. Told us if we got the job, they would call us back within a week.

Pretty much, they don't care if you can apply makeup or not. They want to know if you can sell. So, my advice is to fake it and sell yourself. And I am saying that truthfully. I didn't fake it and I did an amazing job on the makeup, and didn't get a call. I also gave my model some really great makeup tips. Moral of this story, FAKE it! Act like you can sell their products and blah blah blah. You'll be trained to do makeup anyways.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

They do a makeup interview to see your skills. And if you know about the company. They want to know your selling skills and in you work well under pressure.

Interview Questions

• They do a lot of role playing so be prepared for that. Know about the company. On your makeup application interview be very clean and sanitary copy face chart to the T. Manage your time well too.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not really a negotiation more like you get what you get.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Wichita, KS) in June 2011.

Interview

Replied to an add on Craigslist. I received an email back, saying they would like to interview me, then another with the time. They had three managers interviewing a person at the same time. After your interview, you were given time to apply makeup to a model. I heard that they usually have a "look" they like you to do, but they just wanted an evening-to-day look. Boring.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual about the interview. Just be prepared to tell them you can sell stuff and that you keep up with fashions.   Answer Question

I wasn't offered the full position, but the on call position. By the time they finally got back to me with the paper work about it, I had taken a full time position and didn't have time to be on call, even if I could turn down the call.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Denver, CO) in February 2009.

Interview

Went through three interviews. One makeup applicatioin, a sit down with the manager, and a phone interview with the regional manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there wasn't one but it took a long time like a month before my paperwork was complete and I was able to start working.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Indianapolis, IN) in March 2010.

Interview

Submitted my resume to MAC store, about a month later was called by the MRO to attend a casting call, During the casting call they interviewed you based on the time of your arrival, luckily I got there two hours early so I was the first to be interviewed. She asked me the usual interview question;
    Tell me why you love MAC?
    Where would you see yourself in the company in 5 years?
    Why do you want to work for us?
    etc
    After what seemed to be about 20mins she invited me back to part two the next day and to bring a model for a live makeup.

Next day I brought my friend and started the live makeup with the others who were cleared to progress to the next level of the interview. But they switched the models and the artist to give us an unexpected challenge. Blew that part out of the water and after everyone finished they said they would contact the people chosen to be hired by Monday and no later than wed. keep in mind that this happened on a Thursday. They called me literally 20mins after the makeup and said they want me to be a permanent artist.
    So then i was asked to go to the MAC store to fill out the normal new hire paper work then I started at the counter position.

Interview Questions

• Why would I want to work for MAC?   1 Answer

Negotiation

they told me what I would make and that was that no room for negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2008.

Interview

Met with counter manager. Scheduled interview. After approval to move on, met and interviewed by regional district manager. After passed that, did a demo from a magazine tear out on my friend who acted as my model. Had to be very professional, talking to model as well as doing makeup in prestine manner, had to practice clean and sanitary counter practices throughout and talk up brand, VIVA Glam Aids fund, Back to MAC program, company and artistry. Show a PASSION for the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was easy and we talked about how many hours a week I'd work and my schedule. I chose evenings and Saturdays and Sundays, as you HAVE to work weekend in retail no if's, and's or but's about it!