MD Anderson Cancer Center Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MD Anderson Cancer Center Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions

Updated Apr 5, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

It was a short interview at one of the cafes here. We went over my past experience and his expectations of postdoctoral fellows in his lab. I was treated to lunch with the lab mates.

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I could work 6.5 days a week.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for MD Anderson Cancer Center

Anonymous Employee in Smithville, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Smithville, TX).

Interview

Phone interview (I was living in a different continent at the time), followed by an invitation for a formal interview. I had to give a 1 hour seminar on my previous research, which was visited by at least 5 professors of relevant disciplines. After defending my research, I had personal interviews with 3 professors, where it was most important to show understanding and interest for their research subjects as well as my own. I had 1 day notice of who these professors would be. Otherwise there were a few informal parts, like a meeting with the postdoctoral association for lunch, and a dinner with the future boss to which I was bringing my family. A huge 1 day undertaking.

Interview Questions

• Very challenging science questions, but nothing unexpected for a Postdoctoral Fellow   Answer Question

Negotiation

Short and sweet. M D Anderson has a strict salary guideline based on the years of experience and the same benefits package for all employees. I did not manage to get relocation expenses, as MD Andersons guidelines state that Postdoctoral Fellows are not eligible. This was a bummer as I had to undertake an intercontinental move to start this post.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center.

Interview

Send email to professor and was invited to give a scientific presentation.
    And talked with PI and colleagues for future research projects.

Interview Questions

• If your proposed idea didn't work out, what will you do next?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center in May 2012.

Interview

Directly interviewed with Director/Chairman/Professor
    Prepared 30 min talk on research projects
    Plan the whole day for the interview (including meeting the team, lunch/dinner with the professor and team)
    Have a plan what you are going to work on
    Preferentially have a fellowship otherwise plan to apply for fellowships
    Be on time, it takes some time to get from one place to the next

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

I had to fill documents online, get my foreign degree accredited, and submit my resume and cover letter through the portal system. Phone Interview with Scientist who hired me, followed by one-is-to- one interview.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

First, I found the ad. I sent my C.V via e-mail. After 1 week, I received an email for the invitation for the on-site interview. PI asked my previous experiences and future goals for about 40 mins.
    Mostly, PI asked about my previous papers and sets of skills. He also explained his research and what kind of persons he looking for filling in this position.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

It is pretty straightforward - meet with future mentor, discuss career goals, talk to lab members, finally go for lunch with the new boss.

Interview Questions

• What are you planing after completion of this training   1 Answer
    • Why you chose us   1 Answer

Negotiation

very open and comfortable discussion

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX) in April 2009.

Interview

I interviewed for two positions over 6 years and landed both. Each required two interviews that were pretty easy going. The work environment is pleasant and very professional. Once hired, an entire day of orientation will be provided with a huge amount of information on every aspect of a huge institution.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negociation

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX) in March 2009.

Interview

As a postdoc, I only get interview from my boss's group. People sit together listen to my presentation, asking questions. Nothing different from ordinary seminar. I did a good job and my research direction suits my boss's lab well. So i got the offer. But the paperwork process really took me a long time.

Interview Questions

• what's your plan in your career?   1 Answer

Negotiation

the salary and benefit seems non-negotiable.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX) in March 2007.

Interview

I met with my potential boss and we discussed projects and science.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Minimal, state agency thus the pay scale is very firm.