MDA Information Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MDA Information Systems Interview Questions

Updated Nov 19, 2017

2.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MDA Information Systems.

Interview

My neighbor recommended I apply for this position. She has worked at MDA Information Systems for some time and was searching for potential candidates. The experience was somewhat infuriating. I submitted my resume and followed the steps of the online application process, but later found out I needed to submit a transcript from my university. No problem, they're fairly easy to get and only take a few days. I sent my transcript to the employee who had emailed me and then ... I heard nothing back. A few weeks later my neighbor followed up and found out my transcript had not been received. I never got any feedback on this and emailed again with another copy of my transcript. I have yet to receive any sort of feedback weeks later still. It was a difficult position I was applying for and I understand it's possible, even likely, that they went forward with another candidate, but it's frustrating to receive no feedback and to rely on a personal connection to even find out that my application was not complete in the first place.

Interview Questions

• Do you have an official transcript?   1 Answer

Remote Sensing/Geospatial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MDA Information Systems (Gaithersburg, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

Started with an automated email inviting me to their office. Interview was a few questions about me but mostly just them explaining their work. Did not hear from them so I followed up by calling them and emailing them. No response from them. Friend had an internship interview there and had a similar experience...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longmont, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MDA Information Systems (Longmont, CO).

Interview

I filled out an online application and received an email the next day asking to conduct a phone interview. A few days later the phone interview was done, and I must say I was anything but impressed.

The person who called me talked for less than a minute about my experience with C++. He did not ask me about my experience in the geospatial information industry, nor did he ask about any relevant/notable accomplishments and projects I have completed while at [current employer]. The only personality question he asked was “Why are you a good fit for this job?” I tried to go into some of the details about my experience and skills, but after a minute he cut me off. He went straight into asking detailed trivia questions about C++ and Linux, which composed the rest of the interview.

I understand the desire to quiz me on my C++ and Linux skills to verify my knowledge and skill. Some of the questions were good, but most of them seemed irrelevant to my capabilities as a programmer. It was nothing more than trivia, such as asking the name of a certain function. I am good with C++ and Linux, but I don’t have the name of every function memorized, nor do I need to have them memorized; it takes 30 seconds on Google or online references to look up the name of a function.

After the interview, they sent me a programming assignment. Again, I understand that they want to test my skill with C++. However, the assignment was something you would see in CS101, and it took me five minutes to complete. It gave me no chance whatsoever to show my real skill.

After I submitted the assignment, they replied saying that I would hear from them in “three business days.” I have heard nothing from them since.

I know it is normal for large companies who receive many applications to not respond to unconsidered applications. However, after taking my time to conduct a phone interview and give me a programming assignment, I would think that they could at least have the courtesy to spend 30 seconds writing an email saying sorry they aren’t interested. It would be even better if they could give a bit of feedback as to why they made this decision despite me meeting all of the qualifications on the job posting.

At this point, I didn’t bother writing back to ask about my application status because I was no longer interested in the job. I think they were just looking for someone to shove into a cubicle and not think about again.

Interview Questions

• mostly trivia about c++ that was not relevant to the job. Stuff that you could find in 30 seconds with online references.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MDA Information Systems (Gaithersburg, MD) in September 2015.

Interview

Had a meeting with the hiring manager and him explaining what the company is about and the expectations are. Pretty much it was mostly him talking throughout the interview and any questions that I wanted him to answer. After the interview, he showed me around the facility. It was very professional interview process, but enough that it was a relaxed and friendly atmosphere that helped ease any pressure.

Interview Questions

• About myself?
      Questions about my resume?
      What programs do I know and what kind of projects that I did?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ypsilanti, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MDA Information Systems (Ypsilanti, MI) in August 2015.

Interview

A series of half-hour, one-on-one technical interviews, lasting until mid-afternoon. Everyone was very personnel, and around noon they took me to lunch.

Interview questions ranged from whiteboard-coding simple algorithms to discussing design considerations. Only one interviewer seemed unprepared. Questions seemed focused on legitimately evaluating my skill as a programmer, rather than trying to stump me or test knowledge of obscure algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Design an algorithm to do [simple task]. Add modification (lower time complexity, in-place algorithm, etc.) to make the problem more difficult.   Answer Question

IT Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MDA Information Systems (Gaithersburg, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

Very unorganized and extremely unprofessional. No phone screen of any type, just emailed to show up for a 2 hour interview with multiple people. Never spoke to the recruiter outside of the 20 seconds she gave me in the lobby which amounted to "go gettum" while she was on a bluetooth phone call with someone else. Never heard back in any way from MDA, and the recruiter wouldn't answer my emails asking for an update on my status.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MDA Information Systems.

Interview

The interview process was somewhat long--4 to 5 hours, but a very positive experience. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. There were plenty of whiteboard questions. Since I am still a college student they inquired about my work in school and the concepts I am learning right now.

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MDA Information Systems (Rockville, MD).

Interview

I applied on a lark through their online process and received a response for a phone interview about two weeks later. The phone interview was an information dump of the project that I would be working on if I were to start there. About a week after that I went to the office for a brief talk with the security officer then a 1:1 interview. As part of the interview, I toured the facilities. I received an offer letter within the week.

Hard to see from simply touring the facilities, but the people at MDA are the best to work with! It's a pleasure going to work every day because of the friendliness and drive of the people around me.

Interview Questions

• Not many questions were asked, in general. It was more of a conversation than an interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Inquired about bumping up my starting salary to the GS-equivalent, and they were able to meet me halfway.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MDA Information Systems (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone Interview, very cordial, not too technical. Asked about previous hard experiences that I have overcome. The interview panel people were very friendly. Had some friends working there, so knew more about the company

Interview Questions

• Please tell me a difficult situation you had experienced in your past job and how did you overcome that ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at MDA Information Systems (Gaithersburg, MD).

Interview

I had a great interview. I prepared for two weeks making sure I understood the company culture, values and needs. I addressed my passions for the field and how excited I was to be working for such a great company. I enjoyed being able to find the same passion in my interviewer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was given what I asked.