MDRC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MDRC Interview Questions

Interviews at MDRC

2.8

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

The interviewer was very nice and gave a thorough explanation of what the position does. I applied for the Research Assistant positions, as well as a technical position. Although I articulated that I was more interested in the RA position, it seemed that the interviewer was pushing for the latter, which I found quite strange.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone interview (took 2-3 months to get a response), then in-person interview (within 2 weeks of phone interview). Very friendly interviewers, met multiple people when in-office. Was requested to interview for a second position as well.

Interview Questions

• Policy-area-specific: Why do you want to work within higher education?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in May 2019.

Interview

Got an email out of the blue months after I applied. Had a video chat with an HR person who was just reading questions off a paper, clearly didn't care about what i was saying aside from taking notes. They never got back to me even though he said they would regardless. All around a negative interview experience that certainly does not make me sad to not be working there!

Development Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MDRC in October 2012.

Interview

I applied online with a resume and cover letter, and heard back in 2 weeks. We set up a phone interview for the following week. I was under the impression that the initial phone interview would just be with the person who contacted me, so I was a little thrown off guard when she called and announced that I was on speaker phone with the entire development office.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a little about yourself.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Technical Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MDRC in March 2013.

Interview

I was contacted through e-mail to set up a time for a phone interview for the following week. She called me the following week and we had maybe a 10 to 15 minute conversations about kinds of datasets I have worked with. The interview questions were pretty standard and skills-based as opposed to personality-based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY).

Interview

They ghosted me. I was selected for a phone screen and then an in-person interview. The HR person told me they'd contact me within 3 weeks of my in-person, but they didn't. I sent her a follow up email and she ignored it. I won't be considering MDRC for future employment.

Technical Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MDRC in September 2018.

Interview

Applied online and was selected for a phone screening interview after a couple of weeks. The phone interview lasted 45 minutes and was with an HR rep. The HR rep was very timely and polite.

Interview Questions

• The questions were straight forward. Went through the resume. Ask about the projects I've worked on. Asked about my skill levels on various software.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

After a 30 minute phone screen, I was invited to interview at MDRC - New York. Most interviewers seemed completely uninterested in what I had to say and one in particular was rude and I suspect was also trying to intimidate me. Overall, people did not seem happy to work there and I was not disappointed to not receive an offer.

Technical Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MDRC in April 2017.

Interview

I received an email that they would like to do a brief phone interview and we agreed at a time that would work for both of us. During my interview, interviewer kept interrupting me without even giving me the chance to explain myself. If they did not have time, they should have selected different time for the interview. Anyhow it was extremely rude and unprofessional I thought.

Interview Questions

• They just asked me about data cleaning - however do not even give enough time to respond back.   Answer Question

Technical Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online towards the end of 2017 for the technical research position. The submission required a coding sample and a writing sample. I did not hear anything until over a month later, when I received an invitation for an informational phone interview in early January. This interview was a video call with two people from HR; they covered the basic experience questions and then asked a series of scale rating questions, e.g., "On a scale of 1 to 10, rate your statistical analysis skills/abilities." These questions covered many aspects of data work that you perform in the position; however, I found these questions very difficult to answer. There was no reference or comparison point, so I just kind of guessed. Using my previous example, I would rate myself pretty high on the scale if I was comparing myself to, say, the average college senior, but if the scale was set relative to a senior level research associate or a statistics PhD candidate, I'd rate much lower. I'm not sure if they still use these, but might be good to run through when preparing. After the phone interview, I did not hear back for another month, even after sending an email to HR about 3 weeks after my interview (they told me they'd reach out within ~2 weeks). I received an invitation for an in-person interview in mid February and had to schedule the interview for a day in the next two weeks. The interview took place in the old NYC office and lasted about 3 hours. I met with multiple pairs and groups of people throughout the interview, most of which were higher ranking staff. I also had a Q&A with a tech RA. The interview was pretty focused on my data skills and experience. No questions about greatest strengths and weaknesses, teamwork, etc. Also didn't really ask about my past experience listed on my resume. The interview included two quizzes related to data and content checking. The in-person interview was well-organized and very informative. They wanted to ensure that I thought the position and organization were a good fit. Got a call a week later asking for references. Offered the position about three weeks later -- the hiring committee had trouble contacting one of my references, so might have been quicker if this was not the case.