MDRC Technical Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MDRC Technical Research Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at MDRC

2.8

Technical Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MDRC in April 2017.

Interview

I received an email that they would like to do a brief phone interview and we agreed at a time that would work for both of us. During my interview, interviewer kept interrupting me without even giving me the chance to explain myself. If they did not have time, they should have selected different time for the interview. Anyhow it was extremely rude and unprofessional I thought.

Interview Questions

• They just asked me about data cleaning - however do not even give enough time to respond back.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MDRC

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online towards the end of 2017 for the technical research position. The submission required a coding sample and a writing sample. I did not hear anything until over a month later, when I received an invitation for an informational phone interview in early January. This interview was a video call with two people from HR; they covered the basic experience questions and then asked a series of scale rating questions, e.g., "On a scale of 1 to 10, rate your statistical analysis skills/abilities." These questions covered many aspects of data work that you perform in the position; however, I found these questions very difficult to answer. There was no reference or comparison point, so I just kind of guessed. Using my previous example, I would rate myself pretty high on the scale if I was comparing myself to, say, the average college senior, but if the scale was set relative to a senior level research associate or a statistics PhD candidate, I'd rate much lower. I'm not sure if they still use these, but might be good to run through when preparing. After the phone interview, I did not hear back for another month, even after sending an email to HR about 3 weeks after my interview (they told me they'd reach out within ~2 weeks). I received an invitation for an in-person interview in mid February and had to schedule the interview for a day in the next two weeks. The interview took place in the old NYC office and lasted about 3 hours. I met with multiple pairs and groups of people throughout the interview, most of which were higher ranking staff. I also had a Q&A with a tech RA. The interview was pretty focused on my data skills and experience. No questions about greatest strengths and weaknesses, teamwork, etc. Also didn't really ask about my past experience listed on my resume. The interview included two quizzes related to data and content checking. The in-person interview was well-organized and very informative. They wanted to ensure that I thought the position and organization were a good fit. Got a call a week later asking for references. Offered the position about three weeks later -- the hiring committee had trouble contacting one of my references, so might have been quicker if this was not the case.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

About a month or two after applying, I scheduled a brief screener phone call. They mostly just asked basic questions about my technical experience. Nothing too complex. About a month later, I received an invitation to interview with them in New York (I was reimbursed for my travel expenses). The in person interview was comprised of four sessions. One was a Q and A with a current RA . One was a Q and A/ informational talk with an HR rep where they talked a little about the company culture. And then two sessions were meetings with analysts/associates who I would potentially be working with. However, these meetings were fairly informal and conversational. I walked them through my coding sample and answered a couple of standard behavioral questions. And then I completed some activities that tested for attention to detail. For example, they gave me sample data and asked me to talk through how it was organized and mention any problems I saw in it. I got a phone call from them a few days after interviewing asking for my references. Then, I waited two more weeks until they offered me a position.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I first had a phone screening interview that went over my basic programming and research experience. I then had an in person interview at MDRC in NYC that consisted of a "test" and five back to back 30 minute interviews. Most of the interviews felt relaxed and conversational, and while some were a bit repetitive, I felt like each interview prepared me for the next. The interviewers ranged from analysts and technical people to more generalists. I was asked about my interests, experiences with programming, data analytics, and research, and of course why I wanted to work at MDRC and what I would bring to the organization. Finally, I had a second round of in person interviews that were with three people I hadn't met and they were more informative about the work I would do with MDRC. Overall, the interviews made me really excited about the job opportunity, and HR was extremely helpful and communicative throughout the entire process.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

Submitted an application with a writing sample and coding sample, had a phone interview almost a month after submission. 3-4 weeks after received a call inviting me for an on-site interview.

The onsite consisted of multiple panel interviews, overall, I met with 7-8 people. There were two quizzes. Both of them were testing how much attention to detail you pay, one was more qualitative and the other quantitative, but both easy and they give you enough time to complete. For the more quantitative based quiz you have to explain your answers to the interviewers.

Everyone I met was great and they provided very thoughtful and informative answers to my questions. Although the interview process was long, the HR team was very responsive from the very beginning.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

Initial phone screening, then I was brought in for a 3-hour interview which involved three separate interviews followed by a quick technical exercise. The first interview was behavioral, the second was more technical and the third asked to explain your programming sample

Technical Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MDRC.

Interview

Spoke with four people. The first, just general interview questions, she answered any initial questions I had. Second, met with a current Technical Research Assistant, had to explain a provided statistical table to her. Third, met with someone in a higher position, went through my programming sample. Finally, met with someone who oversees most of the research, spoke with her about data cleaning and checking. It was unclear which person made the hiring decision.

Interview Questions

• Had to explain programming sample to someone not familiar with that software package   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

applied online, asked for a phone interview one month later. phone interview was brief, but friendly. they didn't ask too many probing questions, mainly seemed like they were screening me

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied for multiple technical research assistant roles and heard back from the K-12 education team, interestingly enough. I had to turn in a programming sample along with the regular cover letter and resume etc, as this was a technical position. Just a sample of past statistical analysis.

I was contacted a week or so later about setting up a phone screen with a Technical Research Analyst. This was a pretty standard phone interview; no tough questions at all. Just basic questions about why I was applying for the role, my interest/experience in K-12 education, and data analysis/management skills (I was told that this role entailed a considerable amount of data cleaning/management). Everything went smoothly.

About a day or two later I was called to set up an in-person interview in their New York office. Luckily, I was already in town visiting family so it was easy to set up but I think they alluded to the fact that they reimburse people for traveling to their offices to interview. I came in a few days later for the interview which consisted of 3 1-on-1 interviews with members of the K-12 education team, each one being at a different level in the organizational hierarchy. I also had a brief meeting with a HR person before this to go over basic logistical stuff. These interviews went moderately well, no super tough questions. Everything was just geared towards figuring out what my interest/experience was with K-12 education and my apptitude towards working with data. Two of my interviews were in person; the last was with a Research Associate in Oakland and this was a Skype-like interview. Everyone was generally nice I guess, though I could tell that there was a general lack of interest in interviewing me which is a disheartening thing to feel while doing an interview. Lastly, I had to complete a skills test which just consisted of looking over a report for mistakes (spelling, formatting, grammatical, numbers not adding up). Nothing too difficult again. About a week later I was called to provide my reference information.

About a week later or so I received a letter saying they wanted someone with qualifications more specifically geared towards the role. I could figure this out in my interviews. I had the data analysis skills which I thought would trump all (I even informed them of a pending offer I had for a data analysis position) but I guess what hurt me was my lack of experience working in K-12 education, which I could tell was somewhat of an issue with my interviewers. My only thing is if that was the main reason they went in a different direction, why did I have to go through this whole process? Seems like something that was easily identifiable early on. Overall, nice process I guess.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, went through a phone interview process and then was called a few days later to fly in for an interview. I was interviewed by four employees. Overall, the experience was nice. The atmosphere was relaxing. I haven't back from them but it's only been about a month since the interview.

Interview Questions

• Two of the interviewers asked me various questions about my experience working with large sets of data.   Answer Question