MDRC Technical Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 27, 2017

2.4

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MDRC in April 2017.

Interview

I received an email that they would like to do a brief phone interview and we agreed at a time that would work for both of us. During my interview, interviewer kept interrupting me without even giving me the chance to explain myself. If they did not have time, they should have selected different time for the interview. Anyhow it was extremely rude and unprofessional I thought.

Interview Questions

• They just asked me about data cleaning - however do not even give enough time to respond back.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MDRC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied for multiple technical research assistant roles and heard back from the K-12 education team, interestingly enough. I had to turn in a programming sample along with the regular cover letter and resume etc, as this was a technical position. Just a sample of past statistical analysis.

I was contacted a week or so later about setting up a phone screen with a Technical Research Analyst. This was a pretty standard phone interview; no tough questions at all. Just basic questions about why I was applying for the role, my interest/experience in K-12 education, and data analysis/management skills (I was told that this role entailed a considerable amount of data cleaning/management). Everything went smoothly.

About a day or two later I was called to set up an in-person interview in their New York office. Luckily, I was already in town visiting family so it was easy to set up but I think they alluded to the fact that they reimburse people for traveling to their offices to interview. I came in a few days later for the interview which consisted of 3 1-on-1 interviews with members of the K-12 education team, each one being at a different level in the organizational hierarchy. I also had a brief meeting with a HR person before this to go over basic logistical stuff. These interviews went moderately well, no super tough questions. Everything was just geared towards figuring out what my interest/experience was with K-12 education and my apptitude towards working with data. Two of my interviews were in person; the last was with a Research Associate in Oakland and this was a Skype-like interview. Everyone was generally nice I guess, though I could tell that there was a general lack of interest in interviewing me which is a disheartening thing to feel while doing an interview. Lastly, I had to complete a skills test which just consisted of looking over a report for mistakes (spelling, formatting, grammatical, numbers not adding up). Nothing too difficult again. About a week later I was called to provide my reference information.

About a week later or so I received a letter saying they wanted someone with qualifications more specifically geared towards the role. I could figure this out in my interviews. I had the data analysis skills which I thought would trump all (I even informed them of a pending offer I had for a data analysis position) but I guess what hurt me was my lack of experience working in K-12 education, which I could tell was somewhat of an issue with my interviewers. My only thing is if that was the main reason they went in a different direction, why did I have to go through this whole process? Seems like something that was easily identifiable early on. Overall, nice process I guess.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

applied online, asked for a phone interview one month later. phone interview was brief, but friendly. they didn't ask too many probing questions, mainly seemed like they were screening me

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, went through a phone interview process and then was called a few days later to fly in for an interview. I was interviewed by four employees. Overall, the experience was nice. The atmosphere was relaxing. I haven't back from them but it's only been about a month since the interview.

Interview Questions

• Two of the interviewers asked me various questions about my experience working with large sets of data.   Answer Question

Technical Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MDRC.

Interview

Spoke with four people. The first, just general interview questions, she answered any initial questions I had. Second, met with a current Technical Research Assistant, had to explain a provided statistical table to her. Third, met with someone in a higher position, went through my programming sample. Finally, met with someone who oversees most of the research, spoke with her about data cleaning and checking. It was unclear which person made the hiring decision.

Interview Questions

• Had to explain programming sample to someone not familiar with that software package   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MDRC (Oakland, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Over the phone interview. Asked about previous research experience, if I have ever created variables, entered data, and cleaned data. Much of the emphasis of the interview was exploring how much experience I have had cleaning data on SAS. The Interviewee asked if I would be OK with sitting on SAS data mining and cleaning data for 80%-90% of the time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

First there was a 20 minute phone screen, then I went in for 4 interviews of about 30-40 minutes each. Interviews were very basic, talking about my past research projects and experiences with data managements, and general interest in the position. Questions were very general, and I am surprised how they are able to select candidates based on such questions. Most of the interviewers seemed generally uninterested in the interview process; one checked his watch every 5 minutes and had to cut our interview down to about 25 minutes - nothing very substantive came from it. In one interview, I was given a sample data sheet of student grades and and asked to "talk about it." It was very easy, but the interviewer asked a few leading questions based on information I did not have (example: when asked how I would check it for consistency, I answered in regards to the data sheet I had. The interviewer expected me check it for consistency in regards to other data reports.) In my interview with HR, I was told I would told I would get a very quick response (after I told them I had a pending offer elsewhere). I followed up with a phone call 2 days later, at which point they said I would hear back in 4 days. Never heard anything back, after 3 different emails and 2 voicemails. Finally, a month after my interview I received a call about my candidacy.