MECLABS Clark Kent of Marketing Aka Marketing Copywriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MECLABS Clark Kent of Marketing Aka Marketing Copywriter Interview Questions

Clark Kent of Marketing Aka Marketing Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at MECLABS (Jacksonville, FL) in April 2012.

Interview

I'm not really sure where to begin as far as the interview process is concerned except to say that it was extremely long, tiresome and a seemingly wasteful attitude toward a candidate's time and expertise.

This is an organization that bills itself as a "science lab" but in reality devotes much of its time to optimizing email and web content for its clients.

It's not rocket science but does require a certain finesse gained from having some formal knowledge of marketing.

Yet this doesn't explain why the process to hire (a writer?) could take such an unfathomable amount of time--most of which was a complete waste of time.

After about 5 phone interviews, over 1,000 words of free writing samples and two bizarre personality tests that I last encountered as a student trying to get hired for a retail position in the mall, I finally got a chance to speak to someone supposedly relevant who was in charge of coordinating all of the online content.

It felt as if most of the questioning from this individual was directed trying to poke holes in one's resume in an attempt to see if you are lying about your background--even though it was this late in the interview process, no references had been checked nor had an in-person interview been contemplated.

I expected most of the questions to be directed at past experience and how that experience would be relevant for the position.

It seemed as if all prior interviews were merely a formality and that this sixth phone interview would be the decision maker but it only resulted another 2 months of silence?

I think it makes perfect sense that if you want to hire a good writer, that a significant Internet presence and a well-developed portfolio of work would generally indicate a potentially good candidate.

But sadly that is not the case with this organization and many others like it where the hiring managers seem to have less experience than some of the candidates and that want fine champagne but are only willing to pay for sparkling wine.

I'm not certain what drives an organization to advertise an open position and then make candidates go through a dog-and-pony show lasting months but I can only guess that a bad economy and a cadre of inexperienced employees fearful of losing their jobs to hungrier, more qualified candidates is a likely reason.

If I were a recent college graduate or some other transitional worker looking for ping pong tables and free coffee, I might give this place a try but experienced professionals might want to consider the tradeoff between a marginal salary, long hours and a ridiculously indecisive vetting process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you have more than 1 email account?   1 Answer