MECLABS Cog In the Machine Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at MECLABS

1 Interview Review

2.0

Cog In the Machine Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MECLABS.

Interview

Basically, if you are over the age of 35 ............ Forget it!

I had been told that by a few people and it really bothered me, so then began my research on this apparently "ageist" company. As always I try to play the devils advocate and I set out to prove that no company (in this day and age) could possibly still get by while using discriminatory hiring practices. I was wrong!

I started by doing some research on positions available at the company. I applied for a position that was well below my qualifications and as expected received a call from HR the next day about another job for which my qualifications were better suited. (HR doing its job and doing it well)

Hurdle 1 - Complete!

Next, I was asked to have a phone interview with HR (the next day) that lasted approx. 1 hour. She was sweet, polite, gracious and professional. Her questions were 100 % STAR typical questions and we both agreed it went well. She asked me to take a behavioral test, I acquiesced, Then I received a call saying I would be moving on to phase 2! Yay!

Hurdle 2 - Complete!

About 2 business days later I received another call from HR , which in itself involved a brief interview and was asked to take a skills test. Now, the skills test was basically a writing sample that involved creating copy for an outline. Again, I acquiesced. I created a brief sample of my skills ( I even passed the sample on to dear friend who teaches Lit @ Brown) and he said it ruled and I smiled and then I submitted it to MECLABS for review, they must have thought it ruled too ( yes, I'm being cheeky here) because a few days later they called to set up an in-person interview.

Hurdle 3 - Complete!

The day of the interview I showed up 5 minutes early, which was not easy to do because I was on deadline at my real job but my research had come this far - so I had to make it happen. Besides, my boss is totally supportive of the article we will be printing about this, soooo....

The day of the interview I showed up 5 minutes early - The atmosphere was young, but not ENTIRELY young and for a busy office I thought the energy was pretty low. The dress code was very casual, which I prefer and every person who I made eye contact with was very friendly. There was a ping pong table (as mentioned in another review) and a bare foot dude (also mentioned in previous review) but, I'm a person who prefers a flexible culture - so that didn't phase me one bit.

When I met with the panel.......................... Things got interesting. See, I had this job before I walked in the door. They knew before I sat down that I was the perfect person for the job. I was clever when I sent in my Resume. I only listed the last three projects (out of 20-30) that I have worked on. I tailored my experience towards the jobs available at MECLABS and it painted an unclear picture of my actual experience and more importantly, it painted an unclear picture of my age. Then I walked in the door. The questions were, again, 100 % star type questions, none relevant to my ACTUAL experience and none related to my skills. The people I interviewed with were polite, and I believe, embarrassed to be asking such generic questions, but they were doing there jobs...............and hey! They will both be at a better company in 5 years (or at least I hope so, they seemed to deserve it.

So, the interview went well, aside from the fact that they knew I wouldn't get it, because I probably wouldn't be interested in going out with them on the weekends. (that was rude and pretty unfounded) The reality is I think a higher up is influencing the age game. But, more on that in a second.

A few days later I got a letter saying that though my qualifications were stellar, they didn't believe I would enjoy the "office dynamics". In other words - we're young, you're old - this won't work for us.

Jeunism is as discriminatory as sexism or racism. I believe the CEO is trying to create a CULTure of young people that can be easily influenced and molded. The compensation for the work these kids are doing is unfair. The CEO needs to wake up! These "kids" won't be your puppets forever.

I'll end with a quote from Flint McLaughlin "I am joined today by Gaby Paez and Adam Lapp, both are long time experts in our lab, some of our oldest employees in MECLABS, old in terms of tenure but not necessarily in terms of age. We are a fairly young group, let me say it
differently, they are a fairly young group. I am the old guy here"

Flint McLaughlin is only 48 years old

Interview Questions

• They honestly asked me what my 5 year plan was .... I'm not that old, but I felt like saying "I dunno, I'm try'na figure out how'da not get dimentia"   Answer Question