MECLABS Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MECLABS Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at MECLABS

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MECLABS (Jacksonville, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very straight to the point and uncomfortably direct. Several steps, very structured. Will require about 20 hours of your time total. They're the type of company that doesn't take your work for credentials or knowledge, and will test your abilities with questioning during interviews.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer a collaborative environment or to work on your own   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MECLABS

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MECLABS (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

First step was a phone interview with a representative from HR. Typical HR-type questions; scratched the surface of technical/statistical questions, but she flat-out admitted she's from HR, doesn't really know this side of things.
    Next step was a fairly open-ended skills assessment - I was e-mailed three text files with data in them and told to give my assessment on the data, including graph, etc. I was given three hours to complete, from when the text files are e-mailed up to when you send it back (based on time stamp). They were pretty accommodating with me to find time to take the assessment, doesn't need to be during the standard workday.
    After this, I had an interview with two data scientists/managers. They asked some standard HR questions, but also quite a bit about statistics. Asked questions about ANOVA, t-tests, etc. We also discussed what this job would likely pay, which is well below the standard going rate for data scientists. I'm pretty sure my nonverbal language indicated my displeasure, since the tone of the interview immediately shifted. I was removed from the candidate pool a bit later, not voluntarily, though I may have removed myself anyways due to the money.

I didn't get to the final stages, but I believe I'd have gone through another skills assessment, and an interview with a high-ranking executive. For better or worse, the application process takes a very long time. Granted, I never ended up working here, but the general impression I got was that this is a good place to *start* a data career, develop strong skills and leave after a year or two - the pay is just nowhere near what one can expect elsewhere, and long hours are expected.

Interview Questions

• When was there a time you had a conflict with a coworker? How did you get it resolved?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MECLABS (Jacksonville, FL) in February 2016.

Interview

Very extensive. Phone interview with basic hr and stat questions. Online excel test. 3 hours with three questions about time series, a/b testing and t-test things.. Then an online behavioral test and then three in person interviews with 6 different people. First one went over my excel test and asked a couple more statistical questions. The other two were purely hr questions. A lot of the questions repeated and each interview lasted about an hour and a half. Got an offer a week later.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MECLABS.

Interview

Applied online and two weeks later I was screened via phone. Days later I was contacted for an interview with the HR Director. Passed that and the following week had a skills assessment test, which was fairly easy. It involved two questions, a regression model and time analysis. After which i had a behavioral test. My agent called me to tell me i passed the behavioral test and will need to have a panel interview with potential supervisors. I though interview went well, however, they emailed me a week later to say I did not get the job because they did not think i will be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• You must be able to describe a situation where you disagreed or did not get along with a coworker.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MECLABS.

Interview

First I was offered a phone interview, general HR questions (regarding working with others, communication style, favorite features of excel).
    I was then given a skills tell (3 questions, 2.5 hours to complete through excel).
    I had a second interview, with two senior level individuals. Once again they asked general HR questions but additional questions regarding statistical tests, accuracy, validity, etc.
    I was given two behavioral assessments, done online.
    My last interview was in house, with three individuals. It was a very friendly interview that had a lot to do with computability of working with others. I was introduced to a lot of the employees. They were all very young but seemed very happy with the work atmosphere.

I was offered the job 6 days after my in house interview. But, due to my move and salary they were offering I had to decline.

Interview Questions

• How can you work on your communication skills?   1 Answer

I had to move cities for this position, the salary was too low, and I wasn't too sure about the young atmosphere in the office.