MECLABS Marketing Writer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MECLABS Marketing Writer Interview Questions

Interviews at MECLABS

Marketing Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MECLABS (Jacksonville, FL) in July 2013.

Interview

I went through all of the same steps most people have reported here. As many people already said, I am currently employed so I had to take personal days to do these interviews. Something that is not really mentioned here is that the office is located in Jax Beach. Most people don’t live in Jax Beach so the location is inconvenient at best and was a big turnoff for me. They do have some impressive clients like the New York Times and Pitney Bowes, which is why I decided to stick the process out.

When an employer has a hiring process like this its typically because they want to hire the best employees they can. That is not the case at MECLABS. It seems that higher ups have put this process in place and the managers go through the motions because it wastes time throughout the day and saves them from having to do work.

First, they ask no questions relevant to the job. The interview is all “tell me about a time where…” and could be for a retail position. Second, it seems no one within the company communicates with each other. They ask the same questions and can’t even pass your resume along. At my final interview, I was asked if I brought my resume in. I hadn’t because after a six week process and supplying 3 copies already I didn’t think it was needed. The guy said that was fine, and asked me to just tell him what I did currently.

In the end I was not contacted in any way, not even a letter like some people indicated here. My follow up emails and phone call went unanswered. I think they disqualified me because I told them I would want more than 35k (“generous starting salary”). However I told them this at the start of the process and they said that was within range. Again, no one seems to talk to each other so I’m sure the HR lady who initially said it was fine never passed the info along to anyone else. Also, none of them had seen my resume and didn’t seem to realize I hadn’t just graduated from college. My qualifications and experience merit more than that salary.

For me personally, when I see people barefoot playing ping pong for more than an hour in the middle of the workday, my thought is that there must be other people somewhere doing extra work to make up for it. It seems like a very juvenile atmosphere and not at all appealing to someone trying to build a career.

Interview Questions

• What does MECLABS do? I wasnt 100% sure of the answer because no one ever tells you what the position they are hiring for does, the company's mission, etc. I gave an answer based on online research.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for MECLABS

Marketing Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MECLABS.

Interview

The initial people who interviewed me were very kind and fun - although they were all either less experienced or younger than I, working the same job I was applying for. I wrote a blog and took a behavior assessment test. The younger associates were truly very thoughtful in their questioning and spent over an hour with me.

Then they set up a Skype interview with their boss. I have never seen someone so determined to make the interviewee fail. Literally. One after another he asked me, "When have you failed at this? When have you failed at that? Describe a time when you were disappointed in yourself." No positive questions. Not a single one. He even said, "You keep turning your failure stories into successes. I know you're in a job interview and you want to look good, but I'm looking for transparency. I want to know how you've failed and responded to it." How did I respond to failure? By communicating well, identifying the problem and turning it into a success. Either this guy already had somebody else he wanted to hire, or he just didn't like me, but he was rude and his questions told him nothing useful about me -- none of my skills, education, teamwork, contributions, character traits... you know, the things that matter? Meanwhile the blogs he writes are riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. I was so disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you failed. He asked me that at least 5 times.   Answer Question