MGM Resorts International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 4, 2017

2.7

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NM

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at MGM Resorts International (Las Vegas, NM) in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted on social media by a recruiter asking if I would be interested in talking about a job. I never turn down the opportunity to explore career opportunities unless it's a company or position I absolutely know will not be a good match.

A few e-mails were exchanged and suddenly I was scheduled to meet with the department Director. No phone screen, not contact. No questions to make sure the Director's time wasn't wasted.

I was somewhat skeptical because I have heard from many people that the MGM pays low, works you long hours and won't hire anyone much over 30 for corporate roles but I viewed it as an opportunity to hear something different.

I was greeted warmly by the receptionist and a few minutes later a member of the HR team came to the lobby to meet me. She put me in a conference room and stayed and chatted while I waited for the Director who was running only a little late. (I thought that was nice and learned about her career aspirations, etc since she was quite young.)

The Director came in and was pleasant enough but here is where things get odd. The very first thing he told me is they were just "exploring" local talent. I could not tell if they actually had a real job open although I found the position advertised online. Yes, it became the amazing, disappearing job.

He talked about the vision of the department in the future, where he wanted to take things and other things. It was interesting. I waited patiently to see if I would actually be interviewed. The short answer was no. I tried to smile and put on a good face as I thought "I know he knows how to interview. I've seen this before." I have worked in HR for 20 years and have seen hundreds of hiring managers give cursory interviews because they don't want to actually interview because of some superficial observation.

I'm female. Over 40. Mixed race. AND disabled. The latter two are not obvious except I can not wear fitted suits or heels due to my disability so I wore I knit skirt, blouse and less structured knit jacket.

Except for the person who interviewed me who might have been over 40 but it was hard to tell... all I saw was a stream of what looked like college hires or perhaps a few years out of college.

Since I hope MGM is smart enough to read reviews, let me also state they did not collect any data on me. (race, gender, vet status, disability status, etc.) The fact that I was more or less dismissed without anyone exploring what I have to offer AND not counted in an important measure of hiring diversity and fairness was a bit of a shock.

Sadly, had I actually been interviewed they would discover that in addition to my core competencies I am also a competent systems analyst and compensation analyst. They would also have learned about how I have measured metrics and how I was measured against them and that for the past 20 years I have been the top performer in every job I ever had even at companies that had serious problems which I always found a way to work around or correct. (Most of my jobs I have walked into total nightmares because I have a talent for building things and fixing things and that's usually why I'm brought on board.)

Now MGM HR... do you care that your own department can't conduct a proper interview or collect complete and accurate data? If so, I will be happy to come on board as a consultant and charge you a ludicrous amount of money to do things right... and all those bright young people can get a mentor in the process because one other thing I learned is they crave it and don't have it!

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals? Do you have any questions?
      Yes... those were literally the only two questions i was asked!
      Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MGM Resorts International (East Las Vegas, NV) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied Online. Got a call for interview in Las Vegas within 2 weeks. Two person interview.
    Core Java Basics and Solutions for scenarios. Expecting to see how I handled the pressure. Went through my resume with valid questions from each section.

Interview Questions

• Willingness to join immediately   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MGM Resorts International (Las Vegas, NV) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied on their corporate website and received a call from a recruiter in a week. It was a Phone Interview which focused on behavioral aspects. Was quickly introduced about the role and the team I would be working on. Followed by few questions about myself, skills, resume and past experiences. Have been waiting for the result since a week.

Valet Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MGM Resorts International (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

Very simple. Could I park cars, did I drive manual, and customer service experience. Nothing too strenuous for an entry level interview. Must make sure to dress appropriately. Sometimes there's an interview with HR before the interview with the manager.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at MGM Resorts International in February 2017.

Interview

I applied for the member services admin position on CareerBuilder, and within 3 days I got a call from Marisol, the manager at the contact center for MGM asking if I'd like to come for an interview, she had as early as the next morning available! So we set the interview for 10 am on Feb 1st

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you're qualified for this position?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to defuse a difficult situation, what was the situation, what were the resolutions?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you went above and beyond for a guest/customer? Provide details   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told on the interview, she had a few more candidates and to expect a call early the following week. Sure enough, Monday around 3 pm she called offered the job, and to set up a time to do all the necessary paperwork. I went in the following day, went over pay, scheduling, and paperwork to get my background check, and drug test.

Multimedia Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MGM Resorts International (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

Not very hard. Had to take a test on PHP, AS3, HTML, CSS, and Javascript. They also asked for a portfolio of some of my school work. I was invited to meet with the manager first. She then set up an interview with the senior designer and developer on a different day.

Interview Questions

• How do you create a variable s in php?   1 Answer
    • What is the hex number for the color white?   1 Answer

Corporate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MGM Resorts International in January 2017.

Interview

The process took about 2 months (from the moment I applied to the moment I got hired). I lived out of state and did various phone interviews. From there I did a Skype interview and was asked to do a writing assignment. I got hired a few days after and thank God they were flexible about having me start one month after my job offer.

Learning Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MGM Resorts International (Las Vegas, NV) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview process is 3 - 4 weeks consisting of three interviews. The first interview is with a senior Learning Specialist. Second interview is an "audition", a 20-minute training on a topic, guidelines will be provided. The last interview is with the VP of Education and Director of Education.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you bring that qualifies you for this position?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MGM Resorts International.

Interview

Applied and got a interview almost immediately. Nice people seems like a good company to work for. Got a job offer, completed my drug test and background check, now just waiting for a start date.

Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MGM Resorts International (Las Vegas, NV) in October 2016.

Interview

After initially submitting my resume, I was asked to complete a video interview which was set up very nicely and easy to access. I am currently waiting to hear back regarding a final interview that will take place in December or early January.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my experience resolving a customer complaint on the job.   Answer Question