MINDBODY Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Product Manager

MINDBODY Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at MINDBODY

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MINDBODY.

Interview

A little strange. Flew from Vermont to California for the interview. Met with hiring manager in a group setting. Given how far I'd come it seemed strange that I wouldn't have a one-on-one meeting with him. He was supposed to come to lunch but didn't and never sent word or apologies for not making it. The whole thing put a bad taste in my mouth.

MINDBODY Response

Feb 12, 2015 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your review and I'm sorry you didn't get the one-on-one time with the manager as you'd hoped given how far you traveled. I hope you will apply again. I think it's worth mentioning to... More

Other Interview Reviews for MINDBODY

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MINDBODY.

Interview

The MINDBODY mission and principles really resonate with me, and solving peripheral technical and business problems for creative and lifestyle professionals is a passion of mine. I was referred by a friend and former employee, who emailed my resume to a contact in early June. A couple weeks later I was approached by a recruiter and began the process after a 20 minute screening that ensured my experience, education, and values were a good fit for the role.

The second interview was with the Senior Director and Director of Product Management. I did my research - Intuit PM alums, Agile focused, both with design certification from Stanford professional education - and prepared for a discussion of MB's technology stack and goal-directed design. To do this I dug into every technical job posting to see where they are going with their architecture as well as dug into competitive UI/UX/Data flow, revisited my Cooper Design practicum materials, called some of my friends at larger tech companies who work in database design and mobile to brush up on latest perspectives and did some deep reading on competitors and user response to the company.

On the day of the interview, I woke up and went for a seven mile run on Pismo beach while listening to the Dalai Lama, and while meditating kept being brought back to the role of product owner as servant to the end user. I connected this thinking to all of the projects I had worked on, especially those which empowered a technologically unsophisticated user base with phenomenally easy to use tools for sophisticated results. That's how I lead off and tried to direct the interview. The interview was actually focused on organizational politics and influence tactics, both of which I am skilled in but don't consider my focus as a product professional. There were also some oddball questions that reminded me of video interviews by Silicon Valley pioneers from the eighties. We never really talked about Agile, goal directed design, or the technology stack and how it can be applied to user problems. I felt like I bombed it in that I had not told them what they wanted to hear.

A week later, the recruiter got back to me that I'd be able to do the homework project for the next round of consideration! I was incredibly stoked. I got my assignment and logins to the mobile apps for the business side of MB, which also allowed me to access the web app. The assignment was to pitch next quarter's roadmap to execs.

It's pretty glaringly obvious that MB has an ease of use gap forming with competitors at the bottom of the pyramid for their upgrade path. It's also pretty obvious that the web to mobile workflow is not really worked out to deliver the most powerful features to the users who need them most. The iPad version of Mindbody Express looks like an intern used every iOS default on every page. I focused my thesis on streamlining UI and UX across platforms and improving the marketing workflow and permissions for marketing and marketing automation design, delegation, execution, and analytics.

I received a call two weeks later that they were looking for a more payments oriented PM, and that I was no longer in consideration, because the focus was on a different area of the business. I chewed on that for a while, and then decided, "I really want to work there. I'm willing to take a cut in pay as well as a career step back and transition to another role because I believe in the mission."

I emailed the recruiter that I was interested in serving the organization in a project management role. I filled out a form with several hardware/software and mobile projects I directly had P&L accountability for pre and post revenue as a scrum master, product owner, and project manager. The response was that I was too much of a product person.

Overall, I learned a lot about MINDBODY's technology and some of its culture over these two months. I think they should be careful not to alienate fitness professionals who are just getting started or scaling up as they pursue their vertical strategy toward becoming a cloud payments competitor. I also think they should beware of groupthink and managing upward, as it feels from my observation that they are getting to that cultural inflection point of bureaucracy's benefit to detriment curve.

Interview Questions

• What happens when I type Yahoo.com into my browser and press enter?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MINDBODY (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter screener and interviews were as expected, though expect to do a lot of homework and background research on the company to be prepared. They give little information about the job but let you talk about your experience, so you never know if you're a good candidate until they call for the next interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the Mindbody mission?   1 Answer