MIT Administrative Assistant II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MIT Administrative Assistant II Interview Questions

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

40 minutes with the hiring manager. Very pleasant, conversational interview. Basically about my background and why would I like to work there. Also, we discussed their expectations and then the hiring manager answered my questions about work culture, and how it looks like working there.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MIT

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Boston, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by an admin to schedule date and time for face-to-face with Assistant Director of Administration and Administrative Coordinator. Sat down with both at the same time. Was told that the person hired would support three different groups within the department, not including the group that the Administrative Coordinator is part of, which made me wonder why she was in the room since it makes more sense to include reps from the aforementioned groups.

Interview Questions

• The Assistant Director seemed concerned that I may have been overqualified for the position.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MIT in February 2015.

Interview

Very long and tiring, but worth it in the end since I accepted the job offer! I met with about 8 different people and interviewed with them each individually. Afterwards I spoke with the recruiter regarding the details and he negotiated an offer.

Interview Questions

• Went over the resume and past jobs/internships

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was one offer that I accepted.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

I was hired through a temporary agency for a part time position, had one phone interview and was asked to come in. Then I grew within my department to a permanent position after 6 months.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Easy to communicate with hiring team, very personable. Thorough, 3 step interview process beginning with support staff and ending with upper level faculty and administration. All my questions were answered.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to get the starting salary I asked for, but the Institute is not generous with raises.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in June 2012.

Interview

I came in through a recruiter and everything happened very fast. I met with the office manager and the front desk admin for about an hour. Two days later I came back and interviewed the three managers I would be supporting and the process was straightforward. The next day I had an offer and I started the next week.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous work experience and how would you currently manage a difficult-to-manage employee?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in February 2011.

Interview

Rule #1: Sign up with a staffing agency. Find out what agencies the school you want to work at utilizes and sign up with them. This was the key component of getting the great position that I have. The agency will help you tweak your resume, etc. Working with them really serves as a pre-interview.

MIT is looking for people who know their stuff. Make sure you have some background in Academia and emphasize your ability to work cross-departmentally. Eventually everyone works together so you have to be a team player.

Interview Questions

• Do you really expect to make between x & y dollars?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I recommend finding out how much other people in a similar position make before you accept a salary offer because they like to low ball you. You can also negotiate other perks like "flex-time" in the summer and flexible hours during regular work weeks. Make sure the manager is very clear in what your job responsibilities will be before you accept the job. That way, if they want to add onto your duties later you can make sure you are compensated properly.