MIT Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

53 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Director, Strategic Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Applied online with resume and cover letter. Had a phone screen with HR/admin who asked about salary requirements etc. Made that cut. Then asked to provide writing samples AND goals and audiences I'd target and methods to reach them and more--basically a plan of action. Too much info to ask of a prospect before they've met anyone in person. Plus, its asking the candidate to do some of the most important strategic work without compensation.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

The first interview was about 30 minutes, the second was an hour. It was very engaging and not intimidating at all. The hiring managers were very friendly and the overall tone was colloquial and inquisitive. They wanted to learn about it.

Sadly, I never heard another word from them after months, despite following up. This seems to be a very unfortunate trend when it comes to hiring nowadays. Zero courtesy or decency.

Interview Questions

• What kind of work excites you? What sort of work do you really dislike doing?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

After my profile was seen on a recruiting drive, I was reached out to and immediately scheduled a Skype interview with the two economics professors conducting research on the effects of R&D subsidies and technological progress.

Interview Questions

• 2 technical case-type questions regarding econometric models and 2 questions about general understanding of economic theories relevant to the research   Answer Question

Financial Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview very formal. Close to an in-person interview. Be prepare to give details about works experience by telling stories not by listing skills. They also wanted details about the depth of skills in Excel. They look for people not only with accounting skills but equally with good customer service skills.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle difficult people.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MIT in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a phone interview. Most of the phone interview involved describing the position as it had been listed in the job description. Then I was asked to do a Skype interview during which I was supposed to 10 minute scientific presentation for 6-12th grade students. I did a very nice job with my presentation (I asked for feedback). Yet, I was not told this would be followed by an additional interview . The types of questions asked and they way in which they were delivered made it clear the interviewers were trying to discredit me for the position. In the end, I did not receive an offer but looking back I am glad for this because the interview left a bad taste in my mouth and I could tell I would have been miserable working there.

Interview Questions

• If you could use give yourself one piece of advice when you started, what would it be?   1 Answer

Communications and Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied through the online portal and was contacted by the hiring manager to set up a 20-minute Skype interview. HM asked that I submit writing samples and complete a case study assignment to submit to the committee before the interview. Despite logging on to Skype 30 minutes early, there were technical difficulties (Skype is the worst), so I had 14 minutes total to speak with five people, who each asked questions. Most of them sat far from the laptop they were using, so questions had to be repeated to be understood. The writing samples and case study work were never discussed. I received an email three weeks later from the hiring manager saying that they were pursuing another candidate.

Interview Questions

• If you could remove one duty from this job description, what would you choose?   Answer Question

Admissions Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MIT in March 2017.

Interview

It was a very short interview. The interviewer asked my interest in the position, then asked if I had any other questions for him. I wasn't sure if that was how all interviews went or if he wanted to cut my interview short due to lack of interest in my candidacy.

Freelance Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MIT (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with two people. Pleasant, friendly, professional, asked pertinent questions, were open to questions from me. They were honest with me that they had another candidate to talk to, and said they would get back to me. When the manager did a couple weeks later, it was an email to say they'd gone with someone else, but she was kind enough to explain that the other candidate had more website experience.

Interview Questions

• How did you help your previous employer to increase their distribution (I had mentioned this on my resume). Tell us about your web-building experience.   Answer Question

Technical Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied on line and received a call for a 30 min phone interview with the lab team member. The questions were about my previous experiences and some technical part. I didn't get the offer.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Had two interviews at MIT for HR positions. After initial in-person interviews, I did not hear back about the position. It would have been nice to have some communication and closure.