MIT Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 16, 2017

2.9

Masters In Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

One-hour interview on campus. Quite challenging.. A lot of tricky behavioral and technical questions. They invite for lunch with current students afterward. Overall pretty good experience. Took some time to prepare.

Undergraduate Admissions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at MIT (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2011.

Interview

Very difficult and technology-oriented interviews - VERY different from most ordinary undergraduate interviews which are normally just about your personal interests and hobbies. Be prepared to talk about why you chose to study a technical discipline, and what things you do outside of class and in your own time to cultivate your interest in engineering. These people are not so concerned with things like athletics and ordinary club activities, they want people who are intrinsically motivated to learn about science and the interview process reflects this.

Interview Questions

• Number theory question about the cardinality of the set of integers vs that of the continuum of real numbers   Answer Question

Fundraiser Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

For higher-level positions, expect to meet with at least 5 people, as well as the entire team (support staff). It will be a full day of meetings. You will be invited to a lunch, where you will be evaluated for your soft skills, personality, and ability to carry a sophisticated a conversation. Be prepared to talk about MIT news and things you might share with a donor.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were given feedback that surprised you? What was the feedback and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

MIT doesn't like to negotiate salaries. Push back and you'll work with HR directly, who likes to set a budget and keep it firm. Though there is room for negotiation, expect it to be tough. There's an unspoken rule that working at MIT is considered to be its own reward.

Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

Submitted resume through online application process

Was contacted by phone and after brief discussion of the position arranged an interview acouple days later. The in person interview wa slong and involved the manager then a group interview with coworkers. Topics covered wer both social/customer interation, personal organization and priorization, and lots of hypothetical problem resolution and white boarding questions

Interview Questions

• describe what happens when you type "ping www.google.com"   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MIT in September 2009.

Interview

I went through five separate interviews before being invited onsite. The onsite interview started off well. I interviewed with the manager of the group. That interview went well. The next interview was with a senior scientist in the group. It was terrible. The guy was shocked that i was black and then proceed to explain to me that this place was not for me!!! MIT lincoln does have diversity issues, which are now apparent to me after interviewing there. After that interview, I interviewed with a guy who works in an different area of the lab. It went well. But the group that I would most likely be working with is the group that is co lead is the second onsite interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Common VLSI coding problems CADENCE   1 Answer

I would not work there for all the money in the world!!!

Program Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MIT in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fine but the program director was incredibly rude and actively snickered and was surprised by my experience. I was interviewed by the current program manager who was leaving and the program director. They both asked questions from a designated list. The program director was very clear that she started the program and seemed to be making a point to let me know things would go through her and she was quite particular about how things were done.

Interview Questions

• What do you believe will be the most rewarding and most difficult aspect of the job?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your experience with event planning   Answer Question

Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

The whole process was sloppy once my application was sent to the Hiring team. They never replied to my follow up emails. Leaving me with an impression that they are rude and best that I am not their peer.

Interview Questions

• What was one issue you had to deal with and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MIT (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

Very thorough .Several round of open discussion.One needs to be thoroughly prepared for the subject. You need to be well read, informed and must have ability to articulate your own singular viewpoint . The process is very open discussion format.Since you are going to work on projects which have no reference in the world,it is appropriate that you need to be ready to become reference.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about the future of X field ? What is your vision? Why do you think like that?   Answer Question

Fiscal Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

First round interviews were in-person with manager and several team members. The second round was in a group setting with the whole team. Very detailed interview questions about skills and experience. Also met with unit director. Interviews were followed by reference checks.

Interview Questions

• How have you added value to a team, both quantitative and qualitative.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at MIT (San Diego, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Consisted with one phone interview, one on-site interview, and multiple follow-up phone interviews. During the main on-site interview, many random questions were asked. It seemed like there was no specific structure of the interview. However, most of the questions was about research in general and domain knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Design a research that you wanted to conduct by assuming that there would unlimited resources.   Answer Question