MIT Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2017

2.9

Masters In Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

One-hour interview on campus. Quite challenging.. A lot of tricky behavioral and technical questions. They invite for lunch with current students afterward. Overall pretty good experience. Took some time to prepare.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Resume submitted by one of the recruiting firms. Got shortlisted and scheduled for a written exam. After that followed by technical interview on various java, j2ee related technologies for about 2 hours. Got selected in the technical round and scheduled for a brief conversation about the current position and expectations with the HR manager.

PhD Candidate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

Discussion about motivations, past as a researcher, goals, perspective of life after PhD. The recruitment is based on your application. No interview for acceptance but for the research group selection. International students have to take the TOEFL or IELTS in addition to the GRE. Plus cover letter, transcripts from college, and recommendation letters

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negociation

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Using SAP ERP software: review and edit purchase orders, resolve supply chain issues, and communicate directly with the supplier to optimize procurement process. Interact with the MIT community by providing assistance and instruction to follow purchasing policies and improve vendor relations. Lots of fun good time, free food every day

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very easy

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

Initial phone interview. Half an hour long. No small talk, straight to the point. They asked what I already knew about MIT and the department. There was a lot of time to ask questions to the interviewers. They finished by letting me know what the next steps were.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone interview about a week after I applied online went great and I was scheduled for an in person interview about 2 weeks later. First met with the manager for 20 minutes then 4 people together for 20 minutes. The experience with the manager was good, he was very nice and personable and discussed the job and asked me a few questions, however the panel interview was a horrible experience. The people on the panel, potential future coworkers, acted like I was wasting their time from the moment I met them. No smiling, no friendliness, and nothing to suggest that I might be someone who would actually be a coworker in the future and that they cared what I thought of them. I found the experience very unsettling. They seem to get a lot of their workers as temps but this is no reason for this kind of behavior.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a great experience. I gave a presentation for the whole group. They asked technical questions related to my work and presentation. They also asked specifically about my papers and patents.

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

I found the position on Craigslist and interviewed a few weeks after it was posted. I sat down with the post-docs looking to hire a technician. They told me about their research and asked me some basic questions about my past work.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

Apply online with application and resume drop. Takes a bit of time to hear back (a month or 2). Then you have Skype interview with the program coordinator and another member of the staff.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

I got a response on the same day of the job inquiry and got interviewed just a week later. I had the opportunity to interact with all the current members of the lab that I was applying for.

Interview Questions

See What MIT Employees Are Saying

Star Star Star Star Star   Current Research Scientist in Cambridge, MA

Pros: “I did my Ph.D. at MIT, I was a post-doc afterwards, I worked at a startup for 5 years and now a research scientist again at MIT, total 15 years here and I'm still going... There are...”“I did my Ph.D. at MIT, I was a post-doc afterwards, I worked at a startup for 5 years and now a research scientist again at MIT, total 15 years here and I'm still going... There are reasons: - You get to work with the smartest, most talented and motivated people in the world. There is no place like MIT to keep your brain working and to generate ideas that push the barriers of knowledge on a monthly basis! - There is great freedom in working on the problems that you like. Progress here is based on fueling the enthusiasm people already have to work on what they like and given that the institution/employer trusts the employees' abilities. - There is a really strong spirit of collaboration. One can get advice on anything from the world's best experts. A theorist can find someone (from an experimental group) to fabricate their structure, an experimentalist can find a theorist to simulate their design. - People are NOT competitive. Engineers and scientists here are low-key people, work on their problems, and have enough personal confidence (due to their abilities) they are doing well, so they are not complexed and are happy to see when others also succeed. (see though related negative below) - This is a great place to get acquainted with people that matter and will matter in this world. There are continuously events to learn about topics beyond your field and make useful contacts. - This is the place that has probably generated some of the most successful startups in the world. MIT entices people to form companies, and supports with services like a Technology Licensing Office, Venture Monitoring Service etc. - Amazing employee benefits: (a) MIT has its own retirement plan of 5%. (b) Matches 401(k) contributions up to 5%. (c) Quite good medical insurance with on-campus medical facility (this is really convenient!). (d) Free pass for all Boston public transportation! (e) Discounts on many things... - Great athletic facilities (multiple gyms, indoor/outdoor courts, pools). - Very social environment, which comes with the nature of a university and the presence of students around.” – Full Review