MIT Lincoln Laboratory Assistant Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

4.0

Assistant Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory (Lexington, MA) in February 2019.

Interview

I applied for the assistant staff engineer/scientist role. I had a brief (30 minute) phone screen with a chemist over the phone regarding the position and was asked about my technical experience in relative detail and then about my interests. I was then invited for an in-person interview not long after.
The interview was pleasant but lasted at least 4 hours, maybe 5. I first met with two senior level engineers, then later met with several groups/panels of engineers and scientists, including a biologist, but mostly chemists. The first panel was mostly personality and work ethic type questions, while the following interviews were in-depth questions about my technical experience, an ongoing project I had, what I could do to improve certain things I'd done or the project I was working on, etc. Be ready to defend everything that you've done or explain it well; if you cannot, don't bring it up -- they are very intelligent interviewers and want to know how deep your knowledge goes.
After this, the engineer with whom I'd spoken on the phone gave me a tour of the facility and mostly answered questions I had, though by this point I had exhausted most things and little did I know, I was also coming down with the flu (so this last bit was a bit dreary for me, might be OK for others).
Everyone was friendly; there was one very stern engineer type but I think it was just his demeanor because he would start laughing one second and then be all serious the next. Overall a decent interview experience.
I did not receive the job but I do not believe it would have been a great fit for me in the first place so I'm OK with that. However, I had to probe them via email to get a response, or else they would have just ignored me.

Interview Questions

• What excites you or motivates you to get out of bed and work?   1 Answer